Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotD View Post
Thanks for sharing this with me. I like it! How fast do you cruise? And what mpg in gas engine mode? It's quite close to where I started in my thinking, but I soon realized that I'd rather create a trike that I could ride anywhere, including on freeways, and that takes more engine and a whole different level of requirements for licensing.

I've traveled a lot on a bicycle (including over 12,000 miles in one 3-year period). A little over a year ago I bought a 49cc scooter which is faster and easier than the bicycle and gets 125mpg. I've had some back problems and long distances on the bicycle had become problematic. Last spring I traveled over 3000 miles on the scooter, but it's not fun in cold weather, and I feel concern about delaying auto traffic.

I live where it's cold in the winter and wanted a trike for stability on snow/ice. I realized that the trike would be an even greater traffic obstruction - unless I could maintain normal highway speeds. So . . . I aim for highway speeds, long distance comfort, freeway legal, and well over 100 mpg. I think it's going to work.
Well, I put mine away for the snow & ice around here... not that I don't ride or want to ride the taddy but due to the witch's brew of calcium chloride & rock salt they spew on the roads you'll get only a couple of seasons before there's serious corrosion damage, regardless of attempted maintenance. So I just use my beater/commuter ebike for such abuse lol

As for the specs, I usually cruise about 35mph... fast for a pedal recumbent, slow for a motor vehicle it's a compromise made for efficiency (49cc four stroke vs more powerful/lighter two), legality (moped/motorized bike) and stability. I lengthened & widened the wheelbase from the norm to account for the greater speed, but I didn't want to stray too far as I'm still riding the shoulder (width) and still wanted to be able to make a U-turn on a small country road (length). I could have easily made it far faster, but I wasn't after top speed after all, I wanted quiet crusin' comfort & fuel efficiency - of which it gets better than 200mpg, fully loaded w/trailer in tow. That isn't "gas only" however, I've not tested that yet.

As for your "more engine" I wanted to suggest the "pit bike" or "monkey bike" style four strokes like the Lifan 49cc 3sp autoclutch in the above taddy - they come in a vast array of displacements (usually anything within 50 & 200cc) with all sorts of transmission options (3, 4 & 5sps, autos, autoclutch, standard), full charging & electric start if you wish and are quite inexpensive for their quality (Lifan/Honda clone)... roughly $230usd for the 50s usually. Most importantly there's a huge selection of affordable aftermarket parts for upgrade & repair being direct Honda clones (Lifan).

Jus' some thoughts, whatever you decide it'll be good to have another trike on the road lol

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

...and if you're looking for a more "full sized" 3-wheeled inspiration, this is a heck of a resource I wish I'd found before I built my taddy... I mean I'm very pleased with it n'all, but some of those ol' cyclecars are sweeeet

3-Wheelers A-Z Tour - Section A
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
While you're considering front suspensions, include the VW Superbeetle's McPherson struts. Mine weighs 1980lb with 840lb on the front, unladen. That on the front of a trike would imply ~1260lb total.

The lower control arms are separated by about 6-8". If those were brought together on a new frame the front track would be 3-5" narrower. The McPherson struts need a connecting strut at the top, but in a typical kabinenroller layout (driver's feet close to or ahead of the front axle line) that would be positioned behind the dashboard or at the base of the windshield.

Your scooter engine can cantilever off the back of the seatback, but then what do you do for a pushbar/rear bumper?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I know that these have probably shown up on this site before, but to scooter based trikes that could give you an idea or two.

/exomotive.com/eco-exo/

/home.myfairpoint.net/vze6omtd/jorysquibb/id1.html
Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks. Interesting. I'm not impressed with 60mpg on the eco-exo, but moonbeam is fairly close to what I'm planning in some ways. Mine will be much lower and I'm sure a good bit lighter. With a much smaller and sleeker aerodynamic shape, this gives me confidence that I can get significantly over 100mpg on the highway.

I haven't read his stuff completely yet, but notice he has a section on street legality. That's a key issue for me right now. It appears that WA State requires that the frame manufacturer certify that it meets Fed standards. I'm not sure yet what that will mean.

Like Moonbeam, I'm leaning toward a Honda Elite 150 scooter as base.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
CVT sucks power hence FE.
CVT is barely tunable.
I wouldn't go for a CVT engined vehicle if looking for high MPG.

CVT cost me a consistant 10% FE on my way to work.

That's a Honda Helix 250 vs a Suzuki GN 250

Last edited by renault_megane_dci; 12-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: comments on vehicles
Old 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry, but what is CVT?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I believe he's talking about a continuously variable transmission.
JJ
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
renault_megane_dci (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks. It's interesting that my Yamaha Zuma 50 has CVT and is the highest rated mileage scooter I could find . . .
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Then it could be beaten FE wise by a manual 50 of the same technical level (which are not really available)

Tags
recumbent, scooter conversion, trike