Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm View Post
If these cars can remain autonomous then maybe it can be useful technology to make the roads safer, but I have my doubts and really think it is about the greater control over society in general.
I see the 'safety' that people trumpet as a potential thing .. I see the potential for big-brother 'control' also .. for potential increased efficiency .. etc .. etc .. but ultimately , I don't see any of those as the real driving motivator .. those are just 'accessories' that come along with it.

I think the main driving force / motivator is just simple human laziness .. It's an incremental thing .. one tiny step at a time .. not a sudden over night thing .. automate shifting .. automate radio seek button .. Automate finding location and directions (GPS) .. automate parking .. etc .. etc.. Each is just some more tiny step .. bit by bit.

There is a finite maximum size step per step before the producer / seller starts to see significant diminishing returns from consumer purchasing acceptance .. soo you can only change it soo much in each step .. and there is a finite amount of time between steps , again before the producer / seller starts to see significant diminishing returns from the purchasing consumer acceptance .. so you can only have the 'next step' cycle happen soo fast.

I think it is this consumer purchasing acceptance diminishing returns .. more so than what would be possible via raw scientific or technological limitations .. that will slow / restrict how quickly we see the continued step by step incremental automation of driving.

The Following User Says Thank You to IamIan For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-25-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread