Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Exclamation DIY:Install Intermittent Wipers on a VX/CX

Here's my attempt at a How-To for those owners of the Honda Civic CX/VX that want intermittent wipers.

Parts Needed:
-ICU (Integrated Control Unit) from a DX/EX model Civic
-Intermittent wiper stalk from a DX/EX coupe (since the CX/VX doesn't have the rear wiper)

*DISCLAIMER*Attempt this modification at your own risk. I will not be held responsible if you hurt or kill yourself doing this. While this a simple process, anytime you mess with electricity and airbags, you must be careful. (I stole some of the pictures from a beeper delete how-To on H-T.com due to the fact that I'm not going to pull everything apart on my car to take pictures) *DISCLAIMER*

First, as always, disconnect the negative battery cable under the hood.

Remove the lower dash cover from under the steering column to reveal the fuse box.

Remove the two 10mm bolts on either side.

Disconnect the connectors as shown. (this can be optional depending on the flexibility of the wiring harness)

Gently, rotate the fuse box around to you can gain access to the back of it. Remove the connector shown on the far left of the picture below.

Rotate the fuse box around a little more and remove the ICU from the back of the fuse box. You have to pry on either side to get it to come loose. It is easier if you pry from the end opposite the connector you removed earlier.

Installation of the intermittent ICU is reverse of removal. you can now put the fuse block back together and re-install the lower dash cover.

Now you can remove the steering column cover by removing the three highlighted screws and pulling down the lower cover. Be sure to pull the right side out to clear the ignition cylinder. This will pop apart the top and lower column cover.

Turn the steering wheel clockwise 90 degrees to expose the two screws holding on the wiper stalk. Unscrew the two highlighted screws.

Slide out the wiper stalk and unplug the harness on the back. Then install the intermittent stalk in the reverse order.

Put the covers back on in the reverse order and you're set to enjoy intermittent wipers!

Last edited by TomO; 05-27-2009 at 03:34 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
ecoTex (05-06-2014), Ryland (06-10-2012), SiVX (06-10-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
This is a great how-to. I can't believe it hasn't gotten any attention! Well, thanks to seeing this several months ago, tonight I'll be getting the same set up from a part-out.
Thanks Tom

*overall this was an easy mod. Removing the plugs from the fuse box turned out to be a pain in my ass, but otherwise a sweet fix.

[ACHV ALL]

Last edited by SiVX; 06-23-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for posting the mod. It's really easy and took me about 30 minutes with the parts. I spent more time acquiring bits than I did making the swap.

I did this after I accidentally busted my non-intermittent wiper arm. It cost me about $30 with parts from the local pick-n-pull.

Your instructions with the column switch are bang on. I didn't exactly follow your instructions with the controller. I think my approach was quite a bit easier because I didn't disconnect connectors from the fuse panel. I got to experiment a bit at the yard, which helped.

Here's what I did:
  1. Remove the fuse panel cover (i.e. not the lower dash cover because that wasn't necessary)
  2. Remove the two nuts (Left & Right) that secure the fuse panel
  3. Pry up the controller behind the fuse panel with a screwdriver from the bottom. It's in there pretty tight, so a bit of force is needed. I pried at about the lower middle of the panel which is the right side of the controller. Aside: My controller was black and the delay controller is white.
  4. Disconnect the wires from the controller (easy once the controller is loose).
  5. Push the new controller into place and check it is secure.
  6. Connect the wires to the controller.
  7. Re-secure the fuse panel with the two nuts removed in step 2
  8. Put the fuse panel cover back in place

After plugging everything in and turning the car on, I was very excited to discover that this worked perfectly. I had previously only swapped the wiper stalk and the INT setting did nothing. I thought I might need to get a delay wiper until I read this thread. On the "intermittent" (INT) setting, the wipers will make a swipe at the "low" speed and then pause for about three (3) seconds before making another swipe.

Last edited by ala.frosty; 09-20-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '95 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 42.74 mpg (US)
Thumbs up ICU model

the default icu for the 1995 honda civic is the 38600-SR1-0, I replaced mine with a 38600 SR1-1, out of a 1995 civic dx. This is a great mod, the only issue is that now the seatbelt light does not come on. In the illustrations above, it has the 38600-SR1-11 which is the current replacement, and should only need the intermittant shaft to be added for the functionality. Otherwise this is an awesome mod, and I hope that more folks see it.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Great post, thanks for sharing! Lots of wasted energy going on during my "misty" commutes....
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Great post, thanks for sharing! Lots of wasted energy going on during my "misty" commutes....
Yeah! Now I can put more energy into holding the maximum velocity while maintaining absolute attention to all highway and safety regulations.

Thank you
Old 12-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nice!
Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Great post. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pics are gone. is there another write up on this with pics by any chance?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles

Silverbullet - '08 Toyota Prius
Hmmm. So if I change ecu.. then my vx won't run in lean-burn...probably not a good solution for a vx. Certainly good for a CX. I was pumped until I discovered the ecu requirement.

Reply  Post New Thread