Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Able Sable - '00 Mercury Sable GS
90 day: 22.76 mpg (US)

Dory - '07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
90 day: 24.1 mpg (US)

Cora - '07 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 41.43 mpg (US)

Fat Fit - '10 Honda Fit
90 day: 50.43 mpg (US)

Prius - '14 Toyota Prius Three
90 day: 58.49 mpg (US)
Save gas by shopping online...

I'm sure I am not the first to suggest this, and I am by no means making a plug for amazon, but I have had an amazon prime membership for a year now, and it has definitely saved me gas and miles on my car. Let me explain...

Amazone prime is $80 for a year. With that membership you get free two day shipping. Not only can I find niche items that I might not find in the stores, I find everyday items (sometimes) for cheaper. So it saves me a little money on the item (or the item is no more expensive) and I can get it in two days without driving anywhere.

Example: Yesterday I needed a two hole punch for work. Amazon 2 hole punch was $7.50 and staples was $10.99. Besides saving money on the item, I would have driven 24 miles roundtrip which is about 0.8 gallons of gas in my car and miles that I don't put on my car.

Of course, to use this "technique" you don't have to buy an amazon prime membership. You can simply look online for items with free shipping before going to the store.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alexa - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.32 mpg (US)

FX - '06 Infiniti FX35
90 day: 17.98 mpg (US)

Priya - '03 Saturn Ion 3
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...my motto: "...the BEST way to SAVE money is to NOT SPEND IT."
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewb View Post
Example: Yesterday I needed a two hole punch for work.
i live about 20 mins from the closest store and it sucks when i have to use as much gas as the item costs

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I tend to call or text message friends before I head to a store to see what they might need there as well or to see if they are already there for other stuff.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It really depends on how you live. I live about an hour from the city, for a variety of reasons. I work in that city, though, so I go there everyday. I can pickup my items on the way back from the office, and be done. For me, it doesn't make a difference.

If you work from home or close to it, and are pretty good at planning, I could see the appeal of shopping via amazon for common things. No gas, no lost time; basically, the mountain comes to you.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I'm willing to pay an extra $ or two when buying something while I'm in town anyway, rather than to have the delivery van come all the way out to my place. The van probably uses 1-4x more fuel than if I were to go out and get that one item.

When I buy online I try to look for seller that either:
  1. Allow me to pick the item up myself when I'm in the city, or
  2. Send it through the post office, not by a delivery company.
#2 is because the delivery van uses fuel to get all the way to my door/mailbox, while the mailman/postperson rides a bicycle. Or I can bike to the post office and pick it up myself. Now that saves fuel.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
One reason I plan for my next car to be a hatchback, or even better a wagon. If I can stop and pick up stuff 1-2 miles from work, it saves nearly a gallon of gas in the Odyssey making a full round trip from home. If I had a larger-cargo car I could replace more Ody trips with mine.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
I agree with shopping at Amazon for anything other than food or some simpler or bigger things.

Why?

* research...I look for things that have 4-5 stars...and many ratings...means product has been around a while and people like it and it lasts

* usually a lower price

* free shipping...I can wait a week...no UPS...USPS only!

* don't spend gas going after something

* no tax if I'm lucky

* no PITA types to deal with at times

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, YOU may save gas, but how often does shipping from wherever Amazon (or the merchant) has their warehouse to your house burn more gas/diesel than you save? Add to that the facts that A) Amazon doesn't tell you where they ship from (or at least I haven't figured out how) so you get (as I did just last week) a fairly common (but not available in my usual stores) item shipped from New Jersey all the way to Nevada; and B) Amazon just won't ship everything in one package. I ordered 5 books recently, which came in 3 shipments.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Mrs A is an avid price comparer so when at store A looking at something she will not buy it because its cheaper at store B, which is not walking distance. So I tray and pursuade her based on time and how much fuel we will burn but she insists on principle.

I also do this because I abosolutely hate shopping and want it over with asap.

Also tried online shopping but it can be more expensive and the quality is not too great - they will just pick produce at the top of the basket and not the ones you might pick - say the ones which aren't ripe yet because they will last longer.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
They do carry multiple packages when they transport....so the fuel cost per lb is pretty low....whereas you are driving one package per vehicle.

Amazon has local dist centers...the free delayed shipping results from stuff being sent to those dist centers by truck?

note: don't work for Amazon...just shop there...shop elsewhere when I find a better deal that I think I can trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Yeah, YOU may save gas, but how often does shipping from wherever Amazon (or the merchant) has their warehouse to your house burn more gas/diesel than you save? Add to that the facts that A) Amazon doesn't tell you where they ship from (or at least I haven't figured out how) so you get (as I did just last week) a fairly common (but not available in my usual stores) item shipped from New Jersey all the way to Nevada; and B) Amazon just won't ship everything in one package. I ordered 5 books recently, which came in 3 shipments.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Reply  Post New Thread