Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that on one of those trucks, the tires are non-pneumatic. (Solid)

The lower one is the Terex Titan, a mining truck used in Canada when GM still owned stake in Terex. It's now in a museum setting in British Columbia, I believe.

The upper truck has some 3,000 HP, weighs nearly 1 million pounds, and can haul/dump up to 300 tons of material per trip, with a sustained top speed (I think) of some 40 MPH.

It's also a great DD, if you're into that sort of thing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Jeez, now I have to take my M35 off the road cuz it's sooooo tiny. But seriously, I've drooled a few M108s at auction in Barstow. Not really practical, but it'd be a neat toy.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #23 (permalink)

There's a guy up the road from my Father's house restoring an old Grumman truck that looks a lot like that. He's putting a twincharged Cummins 555 into it.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Hydrogen Nut

Smart Car ForTwo Pure - '08 Smart Fortwo Pure stripped
90 day: 51.35 mpg (US)

BMW 750iL V12 - '90 BMW V12
90 day: 26.4 mpg (US)

Wildfire 250C - '08 Shandong Pioneer 250C
The Chev Cavilier would have weighed about half a ton less than a Honda Accord. Hybrids have electric motors, batteries, gasoline engines and fuel tanks to provide mass in collisions. All hybrids are considerably heavier than conventional cars of simlilar size. Ghouls are fictional characters who eat corpses and have no bearing on this discussion.

A poster on another forum states of hybrids, "You can’t just cut through them with the ‘jaws of life’ like you can with normal cars."

Another says, "I have a family member that is certified to work on these things. He says they are death traps. He told me that one of the hazards of these hybrid vehicles is that people are getting electricuted in them, in both car accidents and also home mechanics, that don’t realize they carry as much current as a house. He is very against them. He says once they start to get older, he is concerned that they may become even more unsafe."

Motorweek states: "Through computer modeling, real time crash testing, and using Volvo's massive safety data base, Volvo is looking at everything from how large battery packs might endanger occupants in a collision, to how the added battery weight might affect the car's ability to absorb crash energy."
MotorWeek: Inside Track: Motor News

That's the comment I made. This is a discussion forum and some people on this thread are failing to impress me.
------------
Hybrids Hold Hidden Dangers
Emergency Responders At Risk
Theresa Marchetta, 7NEWS Anchor

DENVER -- They are quiet. They save energy. But hybrids may also hold a hidden danger if they are involved in a serious accident.

"The car was totaled," said former Prius owner, Rusty Wehner. "We got spun around 270 degrees."

Wehner learned from a mechanic after the accident that totaled his Prius that there was a risk of electrocution.

"You're thinking more about the environment and more about saving money than anything else," he said.

"If you don't know what you're doing you can be hurt seriously, if not killed by the voltage," said hybrid-certified mechanic Kevin Klein."There's 330 volts of electricity running through the lines," said Klein.

It only takes 50 to 100 volts to kill a person.

Klein said he received extensive safety training to work on electrically powered vehicles at O'Meara Ford.

"My coworkers know when I set these up, nobody's allowed in here but me," said Klein as he set up orange cones around his work area.

"We have to wear face protection in case of a voltage flash. We have to wear gloves that have to be inspected," Klein added, blowing into the gloves to check for holes.

Klein then put on a second pair of leather gloves to protect the first pair from tearing.

"We have to cone off the area when we're working on the vehicle because just opening the door activates the system. So if you're under the hood working on it and somebody comes up and opens the door, you can be electrocuted," Klein said.

The final step in his process is setting a large hook outside the coned-off area, to be used if someone is electrocuted.

"You have to use the hook to pull the person away outside the buffer zone," Klein said.

"We don't have those safety precautions in the middle of the road in a very bad accident," said firefighter and paramedic Brian Mills.

Mills said when he went through training with North Metro Fire Rescue and went over a manual that covered the unique challenges hybrids present on a accident scene.

"With the high voltage system, you're talking about extremely high levels of electricity the responders can come in contact with, so that's the primary danger," said Mills. "It's just another hurdle we have to overcome."

Mills said the electric cables that the run under the car are clearly marked.

"Anything with orange, any orange cables, that's high voltage. That's what you want to stay away from," added Klein.

Klein showed that the kill switch for the battery power on one of Ford's hybrids is located in the back of the vehicle and can be accessed by lifting up the carpet.

"Once that's switched off there's no possibility of you being electrocuted or anything like that," Klein said, demonstrating how the orange dial turns the battery into service mode.

Although some hybrids are similar, they may not all have the same access to the battery pack.

"There are risks in every car. This is something people need to know about," said Wehner.

Many emergency responders in the metro area have some type of hybrid training, but others do not.

Most vehicle manufacturers have manuals available online, with detailed descriptions of how hybrids work.
-----------
Emergency Responder's Guide to the Prius
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...s/1stprius.pdf
"After disabling the vehicle, power is maintained for ... 5 minutes in the high voltage electrical system."
"If either of the disabling strps... cannot be performed, proceed with caution as there is no assurance that the high voltage electrical system, SRS or fuel pump are disabled."
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

The heaviest Chevrolet Cavalier was 2,665# Curb Weight - the heaviest Honda Accord was some 2,900# Curb Weight... where'd that half ton come from? I only see ~250lbs... Two fit passengers?! Those two cars are also ~10 years apart, w/ the Cavalier being the older model.

Airbags can go off after the fact, gas can explode mid-rescue, cars sitting in precarious positions can be tilted correctly and fall on you. Hell, lightning could strike a rescue worker dead.

IF a person chooses to drive a hybrid, and the rescue worker must be retrained as a result, so be it. If you're among the first group of people to do something, you have to expect that not every part of that "something" will be addressed immediately.

You think coal mining was anywhere near as clean as it is even now, say 100 years ago?

Give me a break. This is exactly the same thing as saying that X isn't safe because Y and Z, and all those things being just as bad as the previous "new invention" from the decade before.

Electric cars have been around since the 1800's, there's no real reason they shouldn't still be in use.

Stating a specific amount of voltage that it takes to kill a person is a farce, as well. 100 volts is a far cry from 50 volts, there is a major difference between AC and DC, and the voltage doesn't matter as much when the amps are lower. I've personally been hit with 440 AC at 2 amps, it feels the same as 110 AC at 10 amps, except it's able to arc further. So in both scenarios, I should be dead right now, correct? Watts are the only real way to discuss how much energy it would take to kill a person with electricity, as a common denominator from which you can draw any combination of V and A.

You've obviously been working an agenda in the last few posts you've made, there's no point in trying to deny that.

So what is the motive for posting this stuff? (Respect for the truth instead of a cop-out.)

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Most vehicles are going to contain an energy reserve of some form or another to make them go. All that potential energy can also be potentially dangerous. Just gotsta know how to deal with it. Just like everything. Just like it has been forever and probably will be forever.

You might want to stick to bicycling.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hydrogen Nut

Smart Car ForTwo Pure - '08 Smart Fortwo Pure stripped
90 day: 51.35 mpg (US)

BMW 750iL V12 - '90 BMW V12
90 day: 26.4 mpg (US)

Wildfire 250C - '08 Shandong Pioneer 250C
Quote:
You've obviously been working an agenda in the last few posts you've made, there's no point in trying to deny that. So what is the motive for posting this stuff?
I was the guy who pulled people out of the wrecks and saved their lives. Why are you people such assholes?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The sensational nature of the "articles" probably has something to do with it.

I'd wager you are sitting within reaching distance of lethal high voltage right now. I know I am. Now what do you suggest we do about that?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Watts are the only real way to discuss how much energy it would take to kill a person with electricity, as a common denominator from which you can draw any combination of V and A.
Well, to be fair, location too. I'd be O.K. grabbing live 120V w/ one hand all day long, but I wouldn't be too keen on grabbing power in one hand and ground in another, especially w/ two wet hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
I was the guy who pulled people out of the wrecks and saved their lives. Why are you people such assholes?
Because you're posting inane stuff. In the event of an accident, I think worrying about the hundreds, maybe thousands of kWhs of energy in the liquid fuel, that can autoignite at ~500F, still takes priority over a 1+kWh pack, high voltage or not, that will automatically open when the airbags are deployed.

Quote:
The HV battery pack relays will automatically open to stop electricity
flow in a collision sufficient to activate the SRS airbags.

Last edited by roflwaffle; 11-04-2009 at 02:55 AM..
Old 11-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Ptero -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
I was the guy who pulled people out of the wrecks and saved their lives. ...
I'm glad you were there to help make a difference. I apologize for not saying it sooner, but I didn't get the impression that you were trying to say that Prius' were death machines. It's just that you were there, and those were the cars involved in the accident.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread