Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ScanGauge E vs Bluetooth OBDII adapters?

I'm looking at purchasing a ScanGauge E but after some reading I see they have an Adapter that's bluetooth that hooks up to your OBDII. Is there major difference? Plus's or Minus's ?? Accuracy? Calibrating?

What brand Bluetooth OBDII adapter is everyone going with?

I already have multiple Android devices and an IPod touch which can pair with Bluetooth.

I just want to make the right chose when making this purchase.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
The elm327 bluetooth for less than 20$ on ebay is great, torque app for android has a nice display and gives you lot of information. Some drawback you've got to start the app everytime you start the car, and there's no real way to do a real calibration. Search a bit on the forum because there's someone that did a nice review of it last year.

Scangauge is best in my opinion because you just install it and it's starting up automaticaly! there's way to calibrate it to your car...

Btw you should go for the ''real'' scangauge instead of the scangauge-e as it can display 4 things at once!

If you're on a budget look out the ultra-gauge, it's cheaper than the scangauge-e and shows 6 gauge at once.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just ordered the the Elm 327 first because I had read in some cars MPG may not be displayed so rather then spend more money on the more expensive unit scangauge scangauge E I figured I would experiment with this.

I should have known there was an issue with accurate MPG usage with Torque because no one responded to my post in the Torque forums for a few days now.

I guess I wasted my money... again

Well I have this Bluetooth adapter now are there any Android apps that can be calibrated?

I had planned on buying the ScanGauge E in 2 weeks but now I have second thoughts since you have pointed out some drawbacks to it.

Last edited by ericsp; 03-02-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
torque for android can be ''calibrated'' but you can't really calibrate it since you don't know what the real value is.It's a really nice app for around 5$, can still get good instant feedback.

The scangauge can be calibrated easily within a couple of tank of fuel.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have to say I will only be looking at MPG and any data that pertains to MPG like averages or anything else. Would it really be worth it for me to get the Scangauge II.

Also how does the ultra-gauge compare in accuracy and ease of use compared to the Scangauge E ?

Once the car is shut off does the scanguage E still automatically resets itself like many reviewers report?

Last edited by ericsp; 03-07-2012 at 07:06 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Once the car is shut off does the scanguage E still automatically resets itself like many users report?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
If you turn the car off by turning the key off i would imagine the sg would restart but if you have a kill switch to turn off the fuel only then the sg should stay on

Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Does the Scangauge II also do this?

I'm just trying to decide which Scangauge to get. The Scangauge ll or the scangauge E and if both do this when shut off I will just get the Scangauge E.

Reply  Post New Thread