Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
ScanGauge II compatibility question

Hello everyone. I was looking at the ScanGauge II page here on EM to see if it was compatible with my '97 Ford Ranger. It looks like it is BUT it doesn't give and speed, distance, or FE information? I really am only looking for real time feedback to help further adjust the "nut behind the wheel". I still use the old (miles driven ÷ gallons used) to get my FE numbers. Would a good vacuum gauge with a numerical digital readout work just as well? $150 for something that doesn't give me the info I want and lots of other info (useful as it may be) that I may not use doesn't seem to have a good return on investment in my case. Definitely a good investment for someone who would get the FE feedback in their vehicle but it just isn't going to work in my truck.

So....are there any other options or would the digital vacuum gauge be the way to go?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
To be clear, the OBDII in your vehicle doesn't transmit that information? I was going to suggest Bluetooth, but if your output doesn't have it, the alternate setup won't work.

If it's just the SCii, then the UltraGuage is nice for monitoring, and you can do a dedicated phone, Bluetooth OBDII dongle, window mount, and charger for less.

But I love my SCiis for testing, wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market I've seen.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
mcrews (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
After thinking about this a bit more I think it's because the speedometer and odometer are cable driven and have no electronic input to be read on the OBD-2 port. Possibly the same with the fuel gauge. It's a float on an arm. Not a true electronic device. It's probably why there's no FE or speed or distance with the SG for my year Ranger.

Reply  Post New Thread