Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
This is what happens to a algorithm that uses pulse width, along with other engine measurements like rpm, tps, map/maf, O2. It is making inferences, and not measuring actual flow of fuel- ccm/m. If it knew the size of the injector (fuel flow capability) and the pulse width, it would be more likely to be accurate with lean burn. Just my thoughts.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jamesqf -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Yeah, that's the problem (at least as I understand it): the SGII isn't actually measuring fuel consumption directly, it's inferring it from other measurements and some assumptions, like the A/F ratio. If your engine doesn't follow the assumptions it uses, the values will be wrong.

There are other cars besides the Insight that have some variety of lean burn tech: Lean burn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree. It is my claim that the SG algorithm is very similar to this algorithm which assumes 14.7 AFR :

Calculating MPG from VSS and MAF from OBD2 - MP3Car.com - 09-21-2007
Quote:
... For the record, the first "one-line" MPG formula above, taken from my Circuit Cellar article, is off by 100! The "4.54" should in fact be "454". The correct formula is:

MPG = (14.7 * 6.17 * 454 * VSS * 0.621371) / (3600 * MAF / 100)
MPG = 710.7 * VSS / MAF

Note that OBD-II VSS reading is in kilometers/hour and MAF reading is grams/sec times 100.

This formula works very well in a modern automobile because the engine computer spends almost 100% of its time managing the fuel-air-ratio to 14.7, which it can do very well because of the "closed loop" feedback from the O2 sensor(s).

In fact, the accuracy of this method has been proven in literally tens of thousands of gasoline-powered vehicles. Accuracy within a few percent is typical, often limited by the accuracy of the vehicle speed reading (i.e., VSS).

As for other ways of doing this, especially if you don't have a MAF sensor, by knowing the displacement of the engine, and after a simple "calibration" using fuel tank "fill-up" data to find the only unknown, namely the "volumetric efficiency" (VE) of the engine, MAF can be calculated from RPM, MAP and IAT. With VE, one can use the following formulas to calculate a synthetic "mass air-flow" (MAF) in grams per second, all without a MAF sensor, using the "Ideal Gas Law", as follows:

IMAP = RPM * MAP / IAT
MAF = (IMAP/120)*(VE/100)*(ED)*(MM)/(R)

where manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is in kPa, intake air temp (IAT) is in degrees Kelvin, R is 8.314 J/°K/mole and the average molecular mass of air (MM) is 28.97 g/mole. Note that, in the above formula, the volumetric efficiency of the (4-cycle!) engine is measured in percent and the engine displacement (ED) is in liters.

The VE of my 1999 7.4L Chevy Suburban is about 65%. Smaller, higher performance engines can have VE's of 85% or higher.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
My Scangauge has been calibrated and accurate for several years now. My cumulative error is about 1/2 gallon, TOTAL.

True, it doesn't calculate lean burn, but most cars don't have that feature. For those that run standard AFR, it's quick and easy and accurate.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread