Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Honda may have designed the radiator support to have gaps on the sides for a reason such as to allow fresh air into the engine compartment to cool the transmission or oil pan. I'm not worried about it since I have nice engine and transmission oil coolers and my temps are always good, I watch coolant temp on my Scangauge and I have gauges for transmission and oil temp, I'm just curious. I think it's more likely that the gaps are just there since this is a mass produced economy car and not an F1 car, but something to think about.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

I think perhaps you are attaching too much to what appears to be sloppy engineering of a osfa mount.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
I wonder if Honda may have designed the radiator support to have gaps on the sides for a reason such as to allow fresh air into the engine compartment to cool the transmission or oil pan. I'm not worried about it since I have nice engine and transmission oil coolers and my temps are always good, I watch coolant temp on my Scangauge and I have gauges for transmission and oil temp, I'm just curious.
It would depend on how the air flows through the engine bay, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to lead to any improve on transmission and oil pan cooling. Unless the transmission case and oil sump had fins like the air-cooled engines.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It would depend on how the air flows through the engine bay, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to lead to any improve on transmission and oil pan cooling. Unless the transmission case and oil sump had fins like the air-cooled engines.
Neither has fins. I was just wondering if Honda may have intentionally left gaps on the side for a reason, but I don't think the gaps were intentional and I don't think they do anything positive. I didn't notice any increase in trans temp, oil temp, or intake air temp since I sealed them off, but like I said I have nice coolers for my engine and transmission oil and I put my air filter in its own heat shield box to keep heat off of it so I wouldn't expect to see any differences in any of these areas. Not sure how any of these areas would have been affected in stock form.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoCivic View Post
I was just wondering if Honda may have intentionally left gaps on the side for a reason
Presumably the cost of filling those gaps

Reply  Post New Thread