Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
To get it off the ground, I think that like you said "a scenic drive that an MPG competition breaks out in" is a good way to go with it. Have fun, keep MPG as a priority but not a strict competitive event. This means you can avoid classing, disputes, cheating, scoring, etc. Have fun, and add to it as you go, if it goes well then try to expand on it at the following event.

That's personally what I think would work, I have never attempted to set an event like this up though, so this is nothing more than my opinion.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
Advertise it like the "hot rod power tour" but call it the "cold rod underpowered tour"

A long distance competition would be fun as all heck!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Another idea i had was to piggyback it on another event. Plugin America day just so happens to have plenty of eco cars all in one place! Car shows. I know motorcyclists usually have a scenic drive around the country side scheduled at least once a year. Maybe get a local dealership to sponsor or compete, and they can show off their car and give rides. The Volt and Leaf Dealers, especially, usually can be found at community events trying get sell a car... - But this was me getting ahead of myself.-
Old 12-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

dream big.

You should piggy back it for sure but these event planners dont always want to share thier glory or photo op moments.
Look into an event like cruising the coast for the bridge into mainstream.
Or perhaps a cycling event or endurance rally.
Our face Bk needs a face lift figures are falling horribly.
-50.0% -40.0% It gets no respect now and it opens the door to this site so those who do like ecomodder move here after introduction thus f/b page looses another person.
Cruising the coast is bigger every year and they would Leap at a chance to push a new trend like the Best MPG.
My issue is at some point the criteria would become similar to drag racing pit inspection to keep cheaters from filling evap cannisters with fuel and such.
1/4 gallon = 20 - 35 miles.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Lessons from the SMCC Economy Run

Thanks xntrx for starting this very complete thread and asking some challenging questions. I've organized four economy runs near Montreal, which are a revival of the SMCC Economy Runs that took place at least as far back as the 1950s. To put things in context, Sports Motor Car Club (SMCC) Montreal is a road rally club and has know-how and insurance to run road rallies.

Let me bullet-list a bunch of take-aways that should be helpful for anyone thinking about organizing an Economy Run:
  • start and finish in the same place
  • use a service station with as many pumps as possible
  • wrap up at a good-value restaurant at the finish, one that can seat everyone to encourage discussions
  • work with a SCCA club if necessary to help with route planning, creating the instruction book and insurance (if required)
  • work with a SCCA club or HAM radio club if you need checkpoints along the route (it's not always easy to find good checkpoint workers otherwise!)
  • choose a route that is scenic/fun/challenging enough that people will want to run it year after year
  • use the same route each year to encourage people to beat the previous result
  • encourage local car clubs to come out in numbers to compete both against each other and for the overall prize (we've been able to create a small Club Smart vs. Ecomodder rivalry)
  • couple the event with something else fun nearby the same weekend (we run alongside the F1 race in Montreal) to give an extra incentive for those coming from far, far away

If I had to say just one thing, it would be to make your event very distinct. For instance, the SMCC Economy Run is as much a driving challenge as an economy challenge, and it requires drivers to be sharp and know their vehicles extremely well in order to be highly competitive. That helps us attract competitive drivers and keeps the discussion lively at the finish. And it encourages mods that aren't purely for economy.

I think it would be great to see an event that is set up to allow for unbelievable economy, another with the most beautiful scenery, another which attracts the most audacious mods, etc. Again, I'd say "think distinct" to encourage people to drive hundreds of miles or more to participate.

Looking forward to hearing about more events! SMCC Economy Run will surely be held on June 7th, 2014 to coincide with the F1 yet again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nerdboy For This Useful Post:
blownb310 (01-11-2014), HyperMileQC (12-30-2013), MetroMPG (12-30-2013), Superfuelgero (12-30-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread