Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Setting up Roku LE without a Pc or device

An elderly relative has internet, Wi-Fi router but bought a Roku LE for streaming, she does not own a Pc or smartphone and likely has no email address

Is there any way to set this thing up?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Doubt it, as nearly everything requires an email address or link to social media account like Facespook.

I ran into that issue with my grandmother, who has never been on the internet. I created an email address for her, which she doesn't even know about, but it was necessary to get a Google Fi phone.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

I don’t think an “email “ alone is enough to set it up
Old 12-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
I don't recall needing anything other than a wifi access when we set up Grammas last year, but a quick scan of the install instructions says you need to do an Roku account, didn't mention email.

Since they never send me anything, worst case use yourself if you don't mind
Old 12-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Yep, these things are ideotic

Had to drive there and set it up on my phone

These things not only should allow self setup on the device , legally it should be required, no reason a device with gigs of storage can’t have a simple page to allow setup and further why would you need a stick if you already have a smart phone

Also had to do a lot of not obvious things to evade the credit card BS since this is just for Pluto and maybe a few other freebies, why the nag credit card, credit card, credit card every 5 seconds with no way to skip and finish setup.

It’s unfortunate Walland was sold out of the TIVO Stick since that would have been the same price, 4K and much more powerful and flexible

Now the next thing is the wonderful HDCP errors that pop up randomly
Old 12-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Don't know about your situation/relatives but I get many phone calls from gramma saying her stuff doesnt work for one reason or another: she likes to alter system settings and absolutely refuses to use a computer phone. The best one was last week where the batteries had died in the TV remote and she started "troubleshooting" the roku because she couldn't get it on the TV.

Which HCDP error? Couple are cable related, one is last update was faulty, or its Netflix handshake.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Don't know about your situation/relatives but I get many phone calls from gramma saying her stuff doesnt work for one reason or another: she likes to alter system settings and absolutely refuses to use a computer phone. The best one was last week where the batteries had died in the TV remote and she started "troubleshooting" the roku because she couldn't get it on the TV.

Which HCDP error? Couple are cable related, one is last update was faulty, or its Netflix handshake.
I had to follow a forum post on how to solve this completely unnecessary error. (HCDP should be illegal, as it doesn’t actually stop “copying” but it does frustrate normal people who have an antique device or intermittent connection or whatever forcing you to possibly have to buy new crap)

Her bedroom TV cannot work with a Roku, something with the TV or the port.

Her main TV it now works but only with the stubby cable that comes in the box, I can’t force a res and had to get the thing to detect the TV by rebooting and going into the system settings and then waiting for tests to finish,
the other TV would never finish the tests, I then had to change some other settings and yeah the thing updated on me in the middle which may have also affected this.
Oddly it has to detect and set auto on its own before it will stop the error .
Any setting other than auto and I get the error

But yeah the turn off on nonsense that Roku itself says to do did absolutely nothing by itself
as it never could detect the one TV correctly then had to be forced to run the process again on the next TV.

Reply  Post New Thread