Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Setup a 50w Thermoelectric Generator to convert exhaust and block heat?

I am wondering if a TEG can be used to charge the cars battery so the alternator can be unbelted?
tegpower.com/products.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
50w isn't going to be nearly enough to indefinitely run with no alternator. Perhaps it could give you a little extra on a deep cycle battery in terms of distance, but 50w is a pretty low draw if you can manage to get that.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
It'd definitely give you a boost... not enough for an altenator.
I'd be enough to feel the reduced altenator load though.

That with an underdrive pulley would be excellent.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
Anything helps. To figure out if it will keep your battery up, you'll need to figure out how much juice the alternator puts out.

First off, DON'T run the engine with the power output line (fat wire) disconnected, because you'll fry your alternator. With a typical load, put an ammeter in line with the alternator out line (the fat cable) and check how much current it is putting out. Then shut off the engine before putting it all back the way it is was. Start the engine and check what voltage the battery voltage.

To figure watts, multiply the current (in amps) by the voltage. The product is watts.
Watts=volts*amps

You need something capable of providing more watts than your car consumes. If the car takes 51 watts, the 50 watt TEG will not recharge your battery. If your car only takes something like 25 watts (which I doubt) then 50W would be enough, but it would charge the battery slowly.

Just a guess, but I imagine that old cars where the minimum electrical load is the spark coil use the least power to stay running. Newer cars have computers and sensors and servos and a bunch more electrical loads, even at the minimum power consumption.

I would say to go with at least 200% what you think your max load will be.

On a side note, it would NOT block exhaust heat. That is because TEGs (at least seebeck/peltier TEGs) work by heat passing through them. Unfortunately, they don't just absorb heat and pump out electricity.

You can read about the thermoelectric effect here:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/the...icity-info.htm
Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thats no were near what you need. It is easy to draw 25 amps with just a few things on . Just the radiator fans are a good load .
I am going to guess with nothing on the lowest you draw would be around 7-12amps but that is no way realistic use .
If cooling fans go on and its nighttime your way above that . you probably need something like 350-450W to cover most running conditions . Thats omitting any kind of high end sound system too .

Reply  Post New Thread