Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
they would be much better then donut tires. and depending on the car itself it can work and pretty well

youde be surprised if you saw a 300 wide bike tire.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
The PRC.

Space savers in my previous cars have had big yellow stickers on them saying max 60 kp/h.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
20:11:20:16:22:16:34

アキラ - '00 Volkswagen Passat B5 Wagon
What I see is that a common spare donut tire was tested for rolling resistance. I don't believe the test was fair because the donut is not a standard tire - it's definitely got issues (Patrick asked about the spares being "bias-ply instead of radial").

mcrews: I don't know how long you've been on the internet, or how many forums you've been a part of, but in my experience no one really uses forum search features. Although this one is pretty good being Google integrated, but most forum search codes are crap. Another observation is people who find this forum while doing a regular Google search - yes, they found the site, but maybe the page they found didn't answer their question. Hell, I've done searches on here and found nothing good, mainly because I apparently didn't use the right keywords. I'm not lazy (I appreciate your negative attitude, though), just uninformed as to common search phrases for some things.

If you really wanted to be a productive member of this forum and help, try keeping your attitude to a minimum and just post links to the topics you know about, that others may not have been able to find. Talking down to people here will just make them want to by an H1 Hummer. K?

By the way, at 23.08 MPG, you really don't have much room to discuss eco-anything.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
What I see is that a common spare donut tire was tested for rolling resistance. I don't believe the test was fair because the donut is not a standard tire - it's definitely got issues (Patrick asked about the spares being "bias-ply instead of radial").

By the way, at 23.08 MPG, you really don't have much room to discuss eco-anything.
its an infinity kinda like a viper you dont ask the FE cuz you can afford it.

my thought on motorcycle tires. would I put them on my 4500lb element NO

would I try them on my 2000lb or under eco car? if I had the funds to test em YES

from a safety standpoint. ide say motorcycle tires are safer then donut spare tires. and safer then stretched tires. and people drive on them :/ ie:

ive seen these types of tires used in super low RR down hill racers (soapbox + technology)

that should be a start in the right direction. a custom alignment to maximize the new tire shape and who knows the gains you can see.

but it is far from simple. and hard to reverse quickly to compare results unless you have a pair of cars being modded together.

Last edited by racerc2000; 02-12-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
...By the way, at 23.08 MPG, you really don't have much room to discuss eco-anything.
I agree about the search thing with McC - and I have tapped about it elsewhere - but TBH he gets far better mileage than most (i.e. 90% of owners) in a Q45, and he has owned a Vanden Plas so he's a top bloke in my (6000 mile divorced) book. At least he's trying and he does loads of miles.

Sorry guys, go for narrow car tyres if you must. Anything else - even for a test on public roads - seems slightly bonkers to me. You need SOME grip so you lose less speed on corners, and you don't crash / die in a fireball.

There is a reason the cheapest version of your car comes with a minimum width of tyre.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

now as I said if setup correctly it could be an option. the only drawback is wear as motorcycle tires dont last as long as car tires. but maybe if setup like this you may be able to flip them side to side to get longer wear. but apparently handling isnt a problem or braking.

and many EV are going this route. so I wouldnt just toss the idea in the trash just yet.

as for testing. I will be picking up a set of motorcycle tires for my Miles zx40s as I plan to mod it to go over 45mph... and have a longer run time then 80 miles.

so when I get to work on that I will let you know the results.

The Following User Says Thank You to racerc2000 For This Useful Post:
Arctic Fox (02-12-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamic, thin, tire, tyre, wheel