Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
About the only feature I've never understood is "hill hold". That's called the brake, and your foot should be on it whenever you don't intend to be moving. I've never had a problem holding a hill unless it was covered in ice and I used momentum to get up it.
Best strategy is to wait for the vehicle to fill entirely, then open the door. Keeping calm enough to do this will be impossible for most people.
My 1950 Studebaker had hill holder. It's a convenience feature.

Unless the car lands on it's side, there'd be a bubble of air in the crown of the roof. And in that case you'd better hope the door is full of air so it's not a dead-lift.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My 1950 Studebaker had hill holder. It's a convenience feature.
Curious how pushing a button (or other activation method) is more convenient than pressing the brake? How does hill hold do a better job than the brake?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How does hill hold do a better job than the brake?
Its good to know that if redpoint5 doesn't need hillholder, no one in the world needs hillholder.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You can purchase (low quality) backup cameras on Ebay for $3.50 shipped to your door.
Its good to know that auto companies get their backup cameras from Ebay & pay $2.75 to mount them on their cars. Now everyone in the world has the skill to replace their cameras for $5.75. redpoint5 helps everyone to repair anything on their car for under $100.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Curious how pushing a button (or other activation method) is more convenient than pressing the brake? How does hill hold do a better job than the brake?
If modern hill holders have a button it's a different thing. In 1950 it was a checkvalve in the brake line that held pressure if the vehicle was pointed uphill. No need to heel-and-toe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder[/URL]]
Hill-Holder is a name for the mechanism invented by Wagner Electric and manufactured by Bendix Brake Company in South Bend, Indiana. Studebaker[1] and many other carmakers offered the device as either optional or standard equipment for many years. It is a device that holds the brake until the clutch is at the friction point, making it easier to start up hills from a stop in manual transmission automobiles. It was first introduced in 1936 as an option for the Studebaker President. By 1937 the device, called "NoRoL" by Bendix, was available on Hudson, Nash and many other cars. In modern usage, this driver-assistance system is also called hill hold control (HHC) or hill start assist (HAC).

Operation

In layman’s terms, the modern hill-holder function works by using two sensors, in concert with the brake system on the vehicle. The first sensor measures the forward-facing incline (nose higher than tail) of the vehicle, while the second is a disengaging mechanism. The 1930s-1950s NoRoL used a ball bearing as a check valve in the hydraulic brake line; when the car was on an uphill incline, the ball rolled back and blocked the brake line - when the car was level or facing downhill, the ball rolled away, leaving the line free. The clutch linkage slightly dislodged the ball when the clutch was released, enabling the car to move away from a stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
In the golf, it's attached to the anti-lock system. You roll up to a stop anywhere and apply brakes. A sensor reads pressure and keeps it there for 2 seconds after you release the pedal. Kinda annoying for a car that has a hand brake close by.

That and a clutch pedal that has no feel along with the 800 rpm minimum engine rpm shutdown makes hill stops exciting.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have now rented four vehicles recently, but two were Mirages. They had the largest backup camera display, but I park better when I use The Force than the CGI lines. The U-Haul van had a backup screen built into the rearview mirror. I always wonder why they don't make the screen take up more of the mirror. How much of the sky and ground do I need to see?

However, it was great for knowing how much space I had left. I always hop out and check when I need to park within two feet of something, but the camera gives me a far better idea of how close I am.

Cameras make far more sense than a rearview mirror in a cargo vehicle.

My hope for cameras is that they give you a better view when the sun is setting behind you, there are cars with brights, etc.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Cameras make far more sense than a rearview mirror in a cargo vehicle.
Sure, but they still make sense in SUVs and other vehicles with a poor rear visibility catering to the average Joe.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Imagine a world if we had a button to do just that but so easy to use we could just step on it, not even requiring to look at it. lol

Last edited by deluxx; 10-21-2019 at 10:39 PM..
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
You can, it's called a brake light switch.