Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Red VX

Bought it with 27,492 miles (original). It was totalled sometime around 1995 and used by the insurance company to train adjusters for 13 years.

Saw it on ebay in March of 2008 and bought it. Rebuilt it and drove it 15k miles, then sold it to a friend. He hurt his back and can't drive a manual anymore so I bought it back from him.

Just passed 50k miles. There is a gas log on this car on the gassavers forum, under my handle R.I.D.E. , which is an abbreviation of my patent pending in wheel IVT design.

Regenerative Infinite Drive Engineering.

It was hit in the rear end, no broken glass, even the left side tail lights were OK. Replaced the tail gate and repaired the rest.

regards
Mech

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5074   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	5075   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5076   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	5077   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	5078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5079  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
It's a very clean example of a thrifty car. I've thought about cleaning my engine bay like you've done and polishing my motor mounts, but unless I can keep the salt spray out of there, it's a losing battle.

Your first picture reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Why did Honda put the engine in front of the driver and the tranny in front of the passenger for so many years? It seems to me that's backwards from a crash safety perspective.

And I have to ask, since you have an Insight, what do you use the VX for?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Best guess on the engine location would be to actually provide some protection to the driver in a crash. I think the engine is supposed to submarine under the firewall in a severe frontal collision.

I just wiped the engine compartment down with simple green and a rag. The car is really a time capsule from the 13 years off the road stored inside. It had a 1995 University of Ohio student sticker. Never had a radio installed, but has passenger outside mirror and factory AC.

The doorjambs look like new also. No salt used here so I don't have that issue.

I use the VX primarily for highway driving and the Insight around town. The Insight has 52k miles and the VX just passed 50k, so I try to balance the driving between them.

Sorry to read about your incident, although it was fortuitous to find the parts car in the pick and pull yard.

regards
Mech
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Aren't "barn finds" amazing? I know it's not technically a barn find, but it is in spirit.

Mind saying how much it cost? March of 08 was just before US gas prices started to go nuts, so I'm thinking you didn't overpay.

My Firefly was 8 years old when I bought it, with under 2500 km on the odometer. It was parked in a garage for 7 years after the owner fell ill (not long after buying it new) and eventually passed away. Another "barn find" - advertised for all to see in the Auto Trader. I made sure I was the first person with an appointment to see it! Literally still smelled new inside.

Though I've said it before and I'll say again: if I'd been able to find a VX in decent condition, I probably would have bought it instead. But in Ontario, they're pretty much only rusty memories. I haven't actually seen one on the road around here for about 3 years.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Mech: I forgot to ask ...

Any efficiency modifications on the car?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some might consider what I paid to be too much, but the repair only cost me $1500. I had a total of 5k in the car when it was finished, and drove it 15 k miles on the original tires before I replaced them due to dry rot. The tires were made in March of 1993, replaced in December 2008.

I sold the car to a friend who later hurt his back and sold it back to me for $3500, so that is what I have in it now. He took a beating on selling it back to me but we have other business arrangements that made him $1900 on a $100 investment (it was legal), so he is Ok with the deal and we do some traveling together to shows, and he gets to ride for free indefinitely. We have known each other for almost 50 years, went to Sunday School together as kids.

Mods consist of 44 PSI tires, a 30% radiator block, and reversing the intake snorkel to draw warm air off the top radiator area. When temps got low this winter I added a preheat tube to draw hot air off the catalytic converter. All mods are easily reversible.

Sometimes we take trips to shows and need to carry more weight than the Insight can handle, so the VX is the ticket. The two of us together tip the scales at close to 440 pounds, 205 of which is me.

Best tank before the tire replacement was 300 miles on Interstates in May of 08 that used 4.625 gallons of gas for 68 MPG averaging 64 MPH.

After the tires were replaced the mileage dropped quite a bit, but some of it was winter temps. Coldest here so far this year was 23 degrees, so it is nothing compared to what some of you have to deal with. The factory grille block covers almost 3/4 of the lower grille.

The original auction bid was just over 3k for the car, with shipping adding another $500.
This is the last car I will probably ever rebuild as a salvage vehicle. In fact Virginia passed a law that prohibited bringing an out of state salvage vehicle here to be rebuilt, so I couldn't do it again.

I would imagine there are very few VXs left in the world in nicer condition, especially when you consider that I have replaced very few parts on the car. Even the fan belts (had t belt replaced just for insurance) are original.

This car doesn't even have any surface rust on the rear drums.

Maintenance parts replaced:
Wiper blades, plugs, air filter, t belt, and brake and clutch fluids.
That's everything that was replaced or serviced.

regards
Mech
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
I'm jealous and also happy that you got your VX back. There is just something special about the VXs that the other 92-95 Civic hatchbacks don't have.

I have replaced every panel (including rear quarters) on my VX except for the drivers door, lol. I've also replaced the engine with a rebuilt D15Z1 stock specs. I'd have to say that your VX is my VX's doppelganger, it's the same car but just about opposite in respect to wear.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tom the craftsmanship and pride you have put in your VX is astounding. No jealousy should be necessary. I did much the same a long time ago to a 76 280Z. I used to run my personal tag, THE ZMAN, when I was running my shop and working hard every day.

Now I can't do that anymore, but life goes on, and my strategy in buying this VX reflects my limitations.

More cash less cartilage.

Few people today have the capability to keep one running like you have. I am not much at envy or jealousy, but I certainly have a ton of absolute respect for your accomplishments.

Merry Christmas and good health to you and those you love.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
TomO (12-22-2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Thanks Mech!

A 76 280Z restoration eh? I would love to get my hands on one of those and restore one.....I think I just found my mid life crisis project, lol.

I just love fixing things up and learning the in-and-outs of stuff.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Your first picture reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Why did Honda put the engine in front of the driver and the tranny in front of the passenger for so many years? It seems to me that's backwards from a crash safety perspective.
I believe they drive on the left in Japan and Honda engines rotate the opposite way to others.