Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Are those slotted vents?

I use my brakes. Single lane roads here, and dangerous drivers. I’ve tried many times to hypermile in traffic, but people get violent if you don’t drive 20km/h over the speed limit and brake within 30 metres of every stop. Add to that the commonly carefree pedestrian that walks out in front of me. I try not to use them, but I end up having to. Overall, as little as I can.

I could just get better and try harder, but I’d like to have some cooling to be safe, doesn’t have to be more than a steel wheel offers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-16-2021, 12:04 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
What it is is a Photochop. It's ambiguous whether the louvers are innies or outies.

I suspect the design is compromised because the louvers will face forward half the time and backward the other half. But it is the smoothest. Drill the backing plates. Drill the rotors.

Have you analyzed the panic stops? A good balance between brakes and tires is necessary. My notchback Type III with 145-15s in front ran out of tires before it ran out of brakes, downhill in the Coast Range.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:08 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I’ve analyzed them, just after typing that post. They’re not that bad. I’ve never actually had a brake fade situation before, so I’m probably fine. Just like to consider the “what-ifs”.

I like that design. I wonder if adding a NACA duct, sort of like the covers on that concept car posted earlier in this thread, would be better? I want to see how they suck air in whilst spinning so fast. On that note, maybe you’re onto something, as your design would undoubtedly be good at scooping air in while rotating. I’d be surprised if half your driving is in reverse.

Has anybody messed around with Turbofans? I’ve seen them mentioned a few times on this forum but without much real insight. I figured they’d be bad for aero as they work like an air pump, but they covers on the VW XL1 are similar in design.

Last edited by JacobLeSann; 12-16-2021 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: P.S.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobLeSann For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Auris - '16 Toyota Auris
Team Toyota
90 day: 40.54 mpg (US)

Hyundai - '20 Hyundai i30
90 day: 29.37 mpg (US)
Nissan Autech Zagato Stelvio AZ1

Source: https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...tech-AZ1-2.jpg

Also, they have interesting mirrors configuration:
Old 12-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Those NACA ducts are continually in a cross wind (or turning a corner, I'm not sure).

www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29760903/the-autech-zagato-stelvio-az1-is-an-italian-japanese-mashup-that-channels-an-era/

Sorry for the massive jpg There is a second oversized jpg of the headlight. It appears to have a hood over the light that feeds the vents above and below the mirror. Apparently an attempt to smother the wake from the mirrors. An 'air curtain' if you will.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I suspect a lot of you guys talking about what if's on brake fade should go attempt to fade your brakes. Its a lot harder than you think and its very gradual. Pedal gets longer and longer and longer and then GONE! I've done this before in my mustang with base 12.6"/11.8" brakes and it took quite a few back and forths up and down our favorite mountain road to finally fade them. By the time i got done the brakes were like 90% done and when we stopped you could see smoke coming off the pads and brake dust all the way down the side of the car. Then we just drove around and cooled them off, and changed the brake fluid later.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:02 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
anyone got any advice on how to make removable wheel covers for these type of wheels?

Old 07-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Where would you place them in the groups at Permalink 45?

Given the difference between Fan In and Fan Out, Maybe just swap them side for side? They are directional aren't they?

Old 07-21-2023, 04:28 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Where would you place them in the groups at Permalink 45?

Given the difference between Fan In and Fan Out, Maybe just swap them side for side? They are directional aren't they?
they are directional. funny enough, the front tires have the directions going in different directions, so left is '' fan in'' and the right is ''' fan out''. but after taping them up on road trips, regardless of the direction, they both act as '' fan out'' since the duct tape after driving for a bit fills up and '' poofs out''

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-22-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread