Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
8 yard dump truck requires a paradigm shift? Ok,,,, I guess. Looks like a F650 I saw the other day towing a 5th wheel trailer. Did need a ladder to get into the cab.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
8 yard dump truck requires a paradigm shift? Ok,,,, I guess. Looks like a F650 I saw the other day towing a 5th wheel trailer. Did need a ladder to get into the cab.
A Class 7 truck with a gasoline engine is a pretty big shift.

The fact that Ford designed a brand new gasoline engine for the medium and heavy duty market in 2020 is a pretty big deal.

It speaks to the challenges of hitting the next level of HD emission standards with a diesel vs a gasoline engine.

Expect some surprising changes in the market mid-decade.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I was hinting a a paradigm shift in the heavy duty market that is going to surprise a whole lot of people.
Not so surprising at all, considering some European-based truck manufacturers are resorting to spark ignition and CNG/LNG on engines derived from the Diesel ones.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about "gas-station cowboys"
I know it actually makes sense for some commercial applications, but when I mentioned the Godzilla engine I had in mind the average Joe who gets a truck to use as a personal vehicle.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Not so surprising at all, considering some European-based truck manufacturers are resorting to spark ignition and CNG/LNG on engines derived from the Diesel ones.
We've had factory original CNG / LNG trucks in the US market for more than a decade and they haven't ever taken off due to increased purchase price and limited fuel availability.

Natural gas truck meet 2024 emission regulations today without any sort of expensive aftertreatment.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
We've had factory original CNG / LNG trucks in the US market for more than a decade and they haven't ever taken off due to increased purchase price and limited fuel availability.

Natural gas truck meet 2024 emission regulations today without any sort of expensive aftertreatment.
Cng/lng will take off in future years. Cleaner than diesel and filling stations will be more abundant, pipelines everywhere. LNG may still need to be trucked, but there are small lng systems available..

Old 09-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Cng/lng will take off in future years. Cleaner than diesel and filling stations will be more abundant, pipelines everywhere. LNG may still need to be trucked, but there are small lng systems available..
That has been the natural gas industry's statement for decades. To date it hasn't happened.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Sometimes there's just one small disadvantage that doesn't let a technology take off.

CNG requires expensive tanks that hold far less fuel for a comparable gasoline tank. Not only that, the tanks require more maintenance over time.

Also, CNG tends to burn hotter under full load since there's no liquid fuel to evaporate during combustion, which can be hard on exhaust valves and such.

Fueling stations are a chicken and egg situation. A city might get away with converting their bus fleet to CNG since they only need a few stations, or maybe even just one like in my home town. But a trucking company needs several spread out over all their routes. And with the on board tanks giving each truck less range you'll need more of places to fuel than current truck stop locations. But without the trucks there's no incentive to build CNG stations, and without the stations, there's no incentive to buy CNG trucks.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Fueling stations are a chicken and egg situation. A city might get away with converting their bus fleet to CNG since they only need a few stations, or maybe even just one like in my home town. But a trucking company needs several spread out over all their routes. And with the on board tanks giving each truck less range you'll need more of places to fuel than current truck stop locations. But without the trucks there's no incentive to build CNG stations, and without the stations, there's no incentive to buy CNG trucks.
No wonder for heavy-duty trucks I only see CNG as a supplemental fuel in my country, even though it's widely used for light-duty vehicles in cities with a good refueling infrastructure.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grand Espace travel ship - '01 Renault Grand Espace
90 day: 26.56 mpg (US)

107 city slider - '10 Peugeot 107
90 day: 49.55 mpg (US)
Engine without catalyzer requirements can have better stoichiometric ratio of air.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grand Espace travel ship - '01 Renault Grand Espace
90 day: 26.56 mpg (US)

107 city slider - '10 Peugeot 107
90 day: 49.55 mpg (US)
Toyota 1E engine at Tercel 1st gen could run 4,5 l/100km. Weight was same as 1krfe Aygo, which may run 3,5 l / 100km, without being aero.