Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Knowing the type of traffic you're driving in, it's not better. Snake driving indicates that you haven't been paying attention or planning, and have been caught in the wrong lane. Changing out of it instead of stopping will decrease the amount of time spent idling. But to merge successfully, you sometimes have to accelerate.

Plan ahead. Spot your gaps. Time your merge. That means that you will not have to stop without having to speed up to make the gap, either.

Alternate routes are the best, though, or avoiding rush hour. That alone can make a 20-30% difference in economy, given what I've seen driving in typical Manila traffic.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I'm a right laner myself. I'm usually the slowest car on the road, so I courteously stay out of faster drivers' way. I use merging traffic and right turners as an excuse to slow down even more (and get better mpgs).

As for driving in the middle lane and making traffic pass you on left and right, read your traffic laws. "SLOW TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT" isn't a recommendation on US highways. It's the law.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread