Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
At least with diesels, first click method is useless, there is way too much foam and amount of foam varies from fillup to fillup, so only method that works somehow, but not 100% is to fill so that you slowly put last 2 gallons in and then fill up to neck, so that you can see level of fuel, this of course is then car related if it is possible to do so or not.

1 click method can have variance of 2 gallons in my car (diesel), so that is not always well working method.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
22 MPH is about 700 RPM. At that speed, there is a shuddering due to the torque pulses but the engine appears to run smoothly. I do try to stay below about 10 lbs MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) at less than 1000 RPM because it runs smoother there. At 700 RPM, the voltage will drop to below 14 volts.

It is challenging to properly DWL the Canyon. The mapping from the gas pedal to the throttle plate is variable such that the MAP will change by several PSI with the gas pedal held dead still. I find that 90% of my driving is between 7 and 10 lbs MAP.

Safety is important. I only scan instruments when nobody is close. No close oncoming traffic, nobody in a position where they could pull out in front, nobody close in front who could stop quick, no tailgaters behind, no tight curves or hills with short sight distance, no obvious hazards, no deer standing by the road, etc. It takes practice.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ベカちゃん - '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca Limited
SUV
Subaru
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)

DonQui - '00 Ford Mustang Base V6
Team Mustang
Team Ford
90 day: 32.56 mpg (US)

CRLY - '98 BMW 740 iL
Team BMW
90 day: 20.81 mpg (US)
Good work on meeting your goal!

I just thought I'd chime in since I am also approaching my milestone value. (30mpg)

I drove my 4-cylender '98 Rav4 by ear and did fairly well at 28 mpg in the winter and 32 mpg in the summer (although that number could have been improved on if I hadn't stripped out 5th gear). Having the manufacturer installed gauges in my Tribeca has helped me adjust my driving style from good to better. Now, with the 6-cylinder Tribeca, I'm hoping to eventually get the same mileage.

As a note on the tire pressure; the manufacturer lists 33psi and I run 38psi. I've tried to run higher but the TPMS lights up when the pressure exceeds 40psi. Starting cold at 38 I find that it doesn't warm up enough over my commute to exceed the 40psi threshold. I religiously check the tire pressure with every fill up. Fortunately my service station is one of the few left that offers free air, so an adjustment of 1-2psi in one tire doesn't put me out $.75 each time to run the compressor.

As a note on re-fueling; Definitely be as consistent as possible. I will go as far as filling up at the same time of day at the same pump at the same station whenever possible. Usually in the early morning when the station is less busy and the ambient temperature is cooler. I've always understood that their was a temperature expansion factor on the fuel but initially thought it was insignificant. That changed when I had to calculate that temperature-expansion coefficient as part of a chemical engineering homework assignment. Remember, your fuel is sold by volume not by mass (weight). I will admit, if your regular commute is short, the expansion factor doesn't really amount to much. However, when your driving over 25k miles per year, the higher cost of less dense fuel eventually adds up.

A note on significant figures; As other posters have noted, accuracy in measurement is vital for retaining significant figures. If there is variability (or "error") in your measurement it reduces the number of significant figures that you can report. At best, for my own uses, I can only justify reporting to one tenth (0.1) mpg and that's probably pushing it. As a side note, my manufacturer-installed computer will only resolve three tenths (0.3) mpg. (With a systematic calculation error of 0.7mpg above actual.)

Another useful tool is the fuel log in the "Garage" section on this site. It allows you to track your FE history. If you keep notes with it it will allow you to see trends. It also allows others to see how you're doing especially if you note the mods or causes for change in the comments sections.

Congratulations on hitting your goal. Now that you're there, do you have plans on improving on that number?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utemarksman View Post
I just thought I'd chime in since I am also approaching my milestone value. (30mpg)

Congratulations on hitting your goal. Now that you're there, do you have plans on improving on that number?

Nice. With 28 in the winter, I'm sure you'll hit 30.

My only goal now for now is to be able to hit 24 with less effort. I want to be more consistent.

Last edited by Kodak; 04-21-2011 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply  Post New Thread