Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
this is an interesting article
http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&source...x51s7ZoVP3NJ1g
the summary in also in english. (page7)

the main conclustion is that bigger vehicles like suv's are a danger to smaller cars because they're heavier and as a result require that their impact structures are stiffer to compensate for this greater mass in a colission with a static and solid obstacle. also their heiger stance causes their impact structures not to interface with those of smaller vehicles. coupled to their greater stiffness they're more likely to cause damage to lighter cars.
it's recomended that these kind of tests become part of the standard crash test.

edit: it's interesting to note somewhere in the article it's mentioned that all vehicles off all types and weight classes are generally equally safe in a colission with a solid object, something that froms the basis of the crashtest.

this would lead me to conclude that if colissions with various vehicles of different weights and sizes where part of this test too, vehicles would become more safe in this respect too, especially since carmakers generally cover a whole range of vehicles and could make sure their entire range was "crash compatibel"

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*

Last edited by lunarhighway; 04-20-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #52 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
More weight in a one vehicle accident means there is more momentum to dissipate. If it takes the same amount of time to stop, then a heavier vehicle will have far higher forces. Hitting a "stationary" object in a lighter vehicle is better than in a heavier vehicle, all else being equal.

Of course, the design of any vehicle is far more important that it's weight. If weight was the only thing that mattered, then why aren't we making cars out of lead?
The fact that a heavier car has more momentum means it will take longer to stop regardless of what it hits. This means that the impact forces on the occupants will be lower, smoother, and applied over a longer period of time. The impact forces on what it hits are irrelevant.

Weight isn't the only thing that matters in safety just as safety isn't the only thing that matters in a car, however weight is a big determinant factor in safety.

FYI: Lead isn't used because it is too soft to support even itself in a large structure.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #53 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
Yes, those Hummers, were Hummers in name alone. The only real Hummer is the H1.
Hummers are garbage, all of them, HMMWV's, on the other hand, are great.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #54 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
The impact forces on what it hits are irrelevant.
Tell that to the insurance company, the owner of the building that the Suburban is now a fixture in, and the pedestrians who were in the path leading into that building. I bet every one of them, if capable, would absolutely correct you on that point.

So because mass is a good thing, you're telling me that dual zone climate control, 37 way adjustable heated/cooled/lumbar/flushable seats, 24" "upgrade" wheels and tires, 8 additional tv monitors, built in dvd/cd/vhs/8 track/21 speaker, 4kw stereo system with 4 12" woofers and a box that could handle 12mg of HE... Are all safety features?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I do risky fun things too, but I don't go around telling people its safe.
And when have gone around telling anyone that the Aptera is safe? What I've said, and will keep on saying, is 1) I don't effing CARE about its safety or lack thereof, or the safety of any vehicle I choose to drive; 2) You folks who believe big SUVs are automatically safer than smaller vehicles are refuted by real-world data.

Quote:
Composites tend to splinter into razor sharp shards after a heavy impact.
Depends on the composite, but generally no. Ever seen a wrecked Corvette? Contemporary Corvette

Quote:
Having 3 wheels it is less stable.
Wrong, from basic geometry. Besides, do you seriously want to argue that the Aptera is less stable than a high center-of-gravity SUV?

Quote:
The choice of lithium Ion batteries poses a serious fire risk (if you have ever seen one of these batteries go you know what I'm talking about)
Ever seen someone toss a match into 10 gallons of gasoline? Yet somehow we all seem to feel comfortable driving around with at least that much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-20-2011), Frank Lee (04-20-2011), Joenavy85 (04-20-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
The fact that a heavier car has more momentum means it will take longer to stop regardless of what it hits.

[snip]

FYI: Lead isn't used because it is too soft to support even itself in a large structure.
You are not correct about a heavier object necessarily taking longer to stop. An object such as a bridge abutment is essentially unmovable since it's mass is many orders of magnitude greater than any vehicle. If the struck object doesn't move, then the time it takes for the moving vehicle to come to a stop is essentially the same; no matter how heavy it is.

Same time + greater mass = much greater deceleration = much greater forces = less safe.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
What i gather is that we should all get fat, because although the result of an instant stop would be flying further through the air, the extra fat will act as a cushioning device, not altogether unlike airbags, cushioning the impact and providing slower deceleration...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
The fact that a heavier car has more momentum means it will take longer to stop regardless of what it hits. This means that the impact forces on the occupants will be lower, smoother, and applied over a longer period of time. The impact forces on what it hits are irrelevant.

Weight isn't the only thing that matters in safety just as safety isn't the only thing that matters in a car, however weight is a big determinant factor in safety.

Not necessarily, premium SUVs stop on par with high end sports cars...this kind of stopping you don't find in your average econobox. Advanced technologies make them handle especially well too. My brother has a Jeep SRT8, has sports car performance in every which way....especially at the pump.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJguy View Post
Not necessarily, premium SUVs stop on par with high end sports cars...
what are you smoking and where can i get some of it? and as far as the SRT8 Jeep, that is hardly a premium SUV. i've seen plenty of small cars out brake larger ones, and vise versa. just view this thread

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-5214-29.html

check the picture i posted at the end of the page, a ricer with "performance brakes", out-braked by a 3900+ pound Jeep, sad.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
One of the main issues is the incompatible heights of the crumple zones in different vehicles, probably more so than weight.
This effectively renders them less efficient, or even non-existant in disimilar crashes.

A standard crumple zone / safety measures height for ALL vehicles, would sort a lot of problems.
Yes, it'd be difficult to do on a full sized truck, but definitely not impossible when starting a new design.

Reply  Post New Thread