Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #111 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Z - '05 Nissan 350Z
Originally Posted by vrmilionzx

No worries - we all have moments where we're not entirely composed - thanks for posting that though.
That said: I'm not great at the aero stuff yet, but there are all sorts of good exterior mods to make your car more aerodynamic (I totally understand if you're not as interesting in changing the exterior of your new toy just yet).

In terms of how it runs, which model do you have? The wheels are REALLY heavy, depending on which ones. I had some of the 17" base model on my car until last month, and they are close to 24 lbs each. The new ones I put on there are around 16. Huge difference. You can also see about weight reduction. I highly recommend a lightened flywheel (both for bang/buck and mpg). Spare tire and jack are heavy (if you have triple a, that is) - and a can of fix a flat is like, 1 lb.

Keep us posted (and take some pics to post in your album! I like 350's)

I appreciate your understanding, weight reduction is an excellent idea. Would you happen to know the numbers of how much the factory flywheel is compared to a newer, lighter one? any other parts I could replace for weight reduction would be much appreciated. I'm a major Ebay parts junkie, so I can find them quick. However, due to my horrid luck with vehicles, I'm too afraid to take my spare wheel and jack out. You are right, I'm not too incredibly ready to mod my body just yet, unless its to make it look better so my GF will like it (crack of whip sound). Thank goodness I have the 6-speed manual so she won't know how to drive it lol. It is the base model, that I picked up for $9,750. Mechanically, its a very sound car, and its just begging to use less gas.

Picks for you later, as I need to head to town

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
I think some people need to grow up and stop bashing the Z car. Nissan is producing something that will sell. They have already proved they can make a twin turbo version of the car which they sell very few of (Skyline). Don't hate on them for selling a "detuned" version of the car that the general public can afford.

Having said that I love the VQ platform. That engine is amazing for power and fuel economy. Nice choice! I bought one new in 2003. At 3k miles it was supercharged (bad idea) and at 11k miles it was built and had the greddy twin turbo kit on it. I'll tell you what, with stock heads it put down 500 at the wheels and was a blast to drive. AND I would get 30 mpg if I wasn't getting on it. i will own one again, but for now it is just a G35 Sedan sport (with 6 speed manual and LSD) and my civics that get me buy with my growing family.

I would recomend getting a 3.3 rear end out of a base model base model G35 sedan. Then building it with a quiafe LSD (or another version that is intended for the base pumpkin.) That was key in dropping my RPM's on the highway and getting good gas mileage. It also helped get traction and made the gears longer with the power of the twin turbo setup I was running.

Again, nice chice on the car!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #113 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
Welcome titusx24. I have a soft spot in my heart for 350z's Worked @a Nissan dealership in 04 and loved the Z's at the time
I started body mods with a lower air dam, gained 3+ mpg and it looks pretty good Imo.
Currently testing a rear Bonneville style spoiler. Version 1 +4 mpg Version 2 no change.

I would suggest starting a thread in the introductions section if you haven't already.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #114 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
It's no big deal, no reason to focus on it.

If you are comparing your Z to your old Mustang, I would expect your Z to smash it by a ton. I have trouble really seeing that much power out of a NA four cylinder, but if it's got extra air, and I guess a lot of mods, I won't argue. I don't like to talk about numbers, myself, unless it's easily proven-track day on tape. Drag strip times, pr track times, tapes. Just because all of the variables. A few people have been getting pretty excited about A B testing, and like those variables, that is the other testing.

And also, suspension has a HUGE affect on performance. A close friend works at Roush, and they developed the new GT500. 670ish horsepower. The Roush Stage 3 Mustang has 540, but the 0-60 is still faster, and even the quarter mile. It's around 130 mph when the GT500 overtakes. These can't be published by the company as official results, since Roush develops it, But you can see it at the drag strip or track. Suspension wil do that.

I'd wait to do the sixth gear swap, until you have more power andless drag. The sweetest improvements are aero. You may need that power to move at that speed. Lowering my drag has really helped a lot.

Today I was getting 38.x when I approached the highway. I tested my o-60 time, and I got down to 31! I made 37.x finally, but still.

GT-R Versus 370Z - Car News - RoadandTrack.com
I can't believe the GT-R and 37/50 are being compared. I didn't think ANYTHING was the same. I mean, I doubt the Z is built in a hermetically sealed lab...or any of the countless other things they do for it. Now the new Zs are pretty sweet, with the stiff suspension, a better luxury feel, and improved power and aero. But most cars from 90-2010 seem to be half tried, in my view. Nothing from that time seemed really amazing. Cien, Sixteen, NSX, STi, XLR V, the introduction of the Escalade, and hybrids-concerning the US, that is.

But that's just my opinion.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #115 (permalink)
Function over form!

S14 - '95 Nissan 240sx se
Sports Cars
90 day: 19.89 mpg (US)

S13 - '93 Nissan 240sx base
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.42 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vrmilionzx
Agree with what's being said - I love the Z, always have. HUGE fan of the older 240/60/80s. I think they've always (with one exception) been great looking cars. I'm a huge Nissan fan anyway, though, so there you go.

As far as your flywheel, I looked around a little, and I've found some randomly different results, everyone says somewhere between 23 and 30 lbs, and one person actually said 28. Regardless, picking up a lightweight fw should make a huge difference in drivability, and mileage (assuming you drive the same as you did before). Reduction of rotating mass has a larger effect than just pulling weight out of the car - less work for the engine to turn those components vs weight further downstream.

If you're not looking to change too much, a chin spoiler (diffuser) could help (less air under the car, less drag). Suspension will help as well, assuming you lower it a half inch or so. Also air, up those tires!

Of course, if you're like me, you won't replace anything until it needs replacing, then you use lighter or better parts. If you're trying to save money, it doesn't make sense to spend it before you would otherwise have to.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #116 (permalink)
Smooth Operator

Old Yellar - '79 MGB Tourer Drop-Hood Coupé
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.83 mpg (US)

Old Brown Ford - '91 Ford Bronco Custom

MAGNUM - '05 DODGE MAGNUM SXT
i think we are all proud of our machines
i would attribute any brashness to being an owner of a *new* car from Texas [ haha-joke]

no instrumentation that shows instantaneous *real time* fuel mileage ?

if i were you that might be my first addition, it would be invaluable in determining the *sweet spot for FE* on throttle application for acceleration and cruise
also with future mods it gives you quick feed back on the effectiveness of that mod
these are in the store here
ScanGauge MPG gauge: improve your fuel economy - EcoModder.com

there is a difference between sports cars and race cars ,,
i see that the Fit has a *sport* model and i bet if i could find the stats would find that Fit out accelerated and pulled more G's on the pan than my machine , however my type was a sure enough race car, here is an image of the one that won class at Sebring , i have been thinking about getting some of those Sebring head lamp covers , i doubt they would make a measurable difference at the speeds i travel but do not they look cool

Old 08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #117 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Prius 5 - '20 Toyota Prius Standard
90 day: 63.6 mpg (US)
I am an aspiring sports car, I plan to do a few mods and maybe to own a mitsibushi EVO eventually but I hope to pickup on some ideas for performance and FE along the way so while I may not qualify with my vehicle (lancer 1.5 litre) I hope I can gain some knowledge and contribute along the way
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #118 (permalink)
Sport Compact Driver

Celica Gts - '84 Toyota Celica Gts
Sports Cars
90 day: 26.32 mpg (US)

The Bee - '96 Mazda B4000 4x4 Base
Pickups
90 day: 20.39 mpg (US)
Just an update on the team Sports cars. We have 8 cars on the team and 7 members.
3 of the cars are aspiring sports cars, an intrepid and lancer 1.5. They both have more power than my sports car
We are avg 33 mpg and 33%+ over epa.
We lost the two mustangs we had on the team, and are waiting for a 350z to show up. Anyhoo thankyou for joining the team and keep them slow.

Last edited by Sporty Modder; 08-02-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
I my my 86 MR2. 4AGE 20valve black top with a 6 speed C160 trans. :/ It was right up this teams alley!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #120 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
I think some people need to grow up and stop bashing the Z car. Nissan is producing something that will sell. They have already proved they can make a twin turbo version of the car which they sell very few of (Skyline). Don't hate on them for selling a "detuned" version of the car that the general public can afford.

Having said that I love the VQ platform. That engine is amazing for power and fuel economy. Nice choice! I bought one new in 2003. At 3k miles it was supercharged (bad idea) and at 11k miles it was built and had the greddy twin turbo kit on it. I'll tell you what, with stock heads it put down 500 at the wheels and was a blast to drive. AND I would get 30 mpg if I wasn't getting on it. i will own one again, but for now it is just a G35 Sedan sport (with 6 speed manual and LSD) and my civics that get me buy with my growing family.

I would recomend getting a 3.3 rear end out of a base model base model G35 sedan. Then building it with a quiafe LSD (or another version that is intended for the base pumpkin.) That was key in dropping my RPM's on the highway and getting good gas mileage. It also helped get traction and made the gears longer with the power of the twin turbo setup I was running.

Again, nice chice on the car!
Who bashes it? Do a lot of magazines or tv shows bash it? I hope you are npt referring to my comment.

If you mean what I said, I haven't meant anything really negative. Compared to other vehicles in class, it seems decent. The only reason I say decent INSTEAD of awesome is because of the price. It never seems really worth it. What one is paying, the money for power/pound isn't very good, a lot of aspects are just okay. Now, luxury is pretty clear. The past few years it has really been stepped up, but if you go by performance, you are over paying still. If you want comparable performance, but luxury/less common, and foreign or slighrly better reliability, then maybe the 5-10 grand in price is worth it. But 30k + is too much for what you get, in my opinion.

GTR =/= over tuned Z

Maybe skylines, maybe, back years ago, maybe. If you are talking about 201X models, no way.

For money for value, FR driveline, Camaro and Mustang are the best. I extensively researched every option to get to that conclusion, if you base it on value. For me, I think the base Camaro looks better than the base Mustang. Modified, as in different builds, I like the Mustang look better, slighly better power/weight ratio, a few bucks cheaper, a lot pf things slightly edge it out. But they are REAL close. I mean we can look up numbers, that's just how it is.

The only bad sports car is the challenger, followed by the genesis. After that I don't think there is a 'bad' model, just variances in what people want, and what cars do well.

I am surprised the Altima and G35 have components so easily swapped with the Z. Not like it's a GTR, where the transmissions is specifically coupled to the engine, and are mated for life, but I still figured there would be trouble mixing it.

EDIT: Interesting, I always thought the Z and G were the same, but an individual explained it was the Altima and G that were the same, and I believed them without question

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.

Last edited by UltArc; 08-02-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread