Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Although the rules state all we need is a calculator & working odo, I take it (from the fancy doo-hickey Mike's installing in his car) that we could also bring GPS/laptop if we want?

Looking forward to the event!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
with Darin as my navigator (how could I have finagled a better navigator?!)
HA! Don't overinflate those... hopes!

Just ask Martin about the wrong turn I suggested we make in Geneva during the Green Grand Prix run.

(I'm blaming that one on bad directions though - sounds like this one will be idiot proof, and I am comforted.)

EcoModder
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
[...]Just ask Martin about the wrong turn I suggested we make in Geneva during the Green Grand Prix run.

(I'm blaming that one on bad directions though - sounds like this one will be idiot proof, and I am comforted.)
Nah, I think you just wanted me to rack up EOC miles going round in a parking lot ;P

See you guys tomorrow night! Have a safe trip.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Well,

All of us Ecomodders had a very entertaining and successful weekend!

We all got together at organizer Jeff Dungen's place in downtown, Montreal on Friday night. Saturday morning we arrived at the Ultramar fuel station in Charlemagne, QC [30 minutes outside Montreal]. All cars were topped off to the owner's preference of the "one click" method or the "to the rim" method that I prefer. They were all refilled the same way, and at the same pump after the event.

SMCC organizer Jeff Dungen's right hand drive Toyota Levin GT Apex [think Corolla]. This is a Japanese domestic market car that has a high performance 1.6 liter engine with five valves per cylinder. It produces 158 h.p., but like my 2.0 liter Nissan, can also be very fuel efficient if driven right.

The SMCC crew getting ready for the start of the event. Some of you may remember Jeff and his Levin from the A.M.E.C. Economy Run IV event last Fall.

With the exception of the gentleman on the left, everyone in this picture was also at Economy Run IV. In the grey Ecomodder shirts are, Will, Darin, and Martin. Jeff Dungen is in the center and my navigator, Steve McKelvie is on the right.

Despite of good job of getting the word out for this new event, there were several last minute drop outs and in the end just six cars participated. The list consisted of two 1.6 liter Honda Civics, [Will's being one of them], a Focus wagon [not pictured], Martin's Jetta TDi, Jeff's Toyota Levin, and my Sentra.

The event distance was 198km, or 123 miles. I didn't take any pictures during the event but here's how it all played out. As promised, this was not going to be a leisurely drive through the Canadian countryside. Speeds were quite brisk and during some sections, we really had to drive to make up time. This made the event a lot of fun. Some mountainous sections were very challenging, with narrow twisty switchbacks, occasional rough pavement, and big elevation changes. There was one caution in the route instructions that warned of a "yump" where one could certainly have gotten some air time [or have flattened their oil pans] if they didn't slow down their approach. But it was all well marked in the route instructions and no one had any issue, [although I love a challenge and thought it was great].

Steve's "office" in the passenger seat of the SE-R. He's navigated in rallies all over the world and has amassed quite an interesting array of tools for the job at hand. As Jeff mentioned earlier, none of this fancy rally equipment was necessary to successfully participate in this event, but Steve had all of it already so why not use it right?

This is the Alfa driver's remote display unit, Velcro'd in place on my side. With this, I could tell how much we were early or late for each stage section, plus what the CAS [constant average speed] was for that particular section. On the right, you can see my new momentary ignition kill switch.

Back to the rally. There were many strategies that could have been employed for this event. We could have driven for absolute best mpg and taken the penalty points for being late to controls but we chose to try to stay on time, while pulsing and gliding as much as possible. The SE-R is good at this approach, because it is not underpowered. I could blitz it up to 100 km in fifth gear quickly and coast it out to maximum effect. As we have seen in our own economy run series, the more mountainous the course, the better the mpg's. The highly mountainous course in this event really paid big dividends at the end with some very long coasts available. I didn't write down the official results as Jeff announced them, but I am very pleased to say that once again the Ecomodders ruled supreme.

During post event refill this was my result.

This equates to 2.13 gallons for the 123 miles. We were really surprised to have achieved 57.74 mpg!

Scoring:

Raw scores before penalty points showed that Will's Honda Civic had the best mpg at 58 and change. But unfortunately Will and Darin accumulated more penalty points than Steve and I for being late to controls. So the official results credit Steve and I for 1st place overall. Huge thanks to my navigator, Steve McKelvie for his excellent work in the right seat! He is why we won.

Additionally, they also used the factory shipping weights to declare a winnner in the ton-miles category. It will come as no surprise that Martin's Jetta TDi won this award as pound for pound, diesels are more economical than gas engines. Rumor has it that Martin can really drive aggressively in the corners when he needs to. Eye witnesses say he ran a bit wide a time or two and was kicking up some dust in the hairpins. Go Martin!

Footnote: There always seems to be a glitch for someone at every economy run type of event regarding consistent fill ups. Martin's TDi did not get the result he should have gotten, because of a problem with the initial fill. The Ultramar station we were using did not sell diesel. Martin had to go down the road to another station that did. Diesel foams up and is hard to fill to the rim. Even after being careful to fill it slowly, upon Martin's return to the official start, he found that his fuel level had now settled and could not be seen in the neck any longer. So he left with a fuel volume disadvantage to everyone else. I don't remember his official result, but it was quite low [for him] at something in the high 40's low 50's? Martin? We all know he did better than that, but unfortunately we'll never know exactly how much.

All in all we really enjoyed this unique challenge and that was only part of this excellent weekend. We toured downtown Montreal in the evening to an awesome F1 street festival with live bands, historic Italian cars on display and lots of night life!

Relaxing back at Jeff's place on the roof of his apartment building in downtown Montreal. The F1 cars could be heard from this vantage point the following day. We also enjoyed a 30 minute fireworks show over the skyline at 10:00 pm and dined on Lebanese food on Sat night. What a cultural experience this trip turned out to be. Simply a terrific weekend!

Congratulations to Jeff and the Sports Motor Car Club for putting together an interesting, fun, and challenging event!

Mike

Last edited by blownb310; 06-13-2010 at 08:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to blownb310 For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-13-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

What a great summary, Mike!

That was a really different and fun event. Never been in a fuel economy rally like that before. I liked the fact that the road speeds required to avoid penalties were very close (maybe even slightly higher, but still within the legal limit) to speeds a "regular" person would have driven.

In other words, the results are very much "real world". Nobody could accuse anyone of dawdling to get the numbers seen.

(Oh, and my awesome navigating skills are the reason Will and I were late for a couple of checkpoints, not because he was squeezing the car for more MPG at the expense of time.)

Great to see EM participants representing! Each of our three vehicles achieved one of:
  • best overall corrected MPG (Nissan Sentra)
  • best overall uncorrected MPG (Honda Civic)
  • best MPG / weight (VW Jetta)
Sort of like grade school - everyone gets a ribbon!

Thanks again to Jeff & the other SMCC guys for hosting a friendly, fun & challenging event.

Jeff: thanks too for the multiple guided walkabouts in the city. I've been to Montreal a couple dozen times, but always on a mission - never really as a tourist. So it was really great to take the chance to gawk at the sights and get some history/perspective of what we were looking at.

EcoModder
Old 06-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Exclamation Results!

Great summary Mike!

We've posted the results and a few photos on the flyer: CLICK HERE

Here are the results. For those who didn't provide vehicle curb weight, I've done my best to look it up online, which will slightly affect the L/100km/tonne scores.

Congrats to Will and Darin for squeezing out the best economy by the narrowest of margins, and congrats to Mike and Steve who one upped them by taking fewer penalties and coming out on top in the critical category. Congrats to Martin and Annie for the best "weighted" economy by a significant margin.

I think everyone was impressed by their fuel economy results given that the roads and timing were not chosen to particularly encourage fuel economy. Thanks to everyone who participated and all our checkpoint workers.

The route can easily be recycled for a future event. All the dirty work is done!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

More photos...

Here's the shot of Will and Darin's fill up:

Here are the cars arranged nicely and showing off their stats (these are the figures that include 2%/minute penalties):

And here's a nice shot that Chan took while we were enjoying the squiggly roads:

I will try to put together a video collage when a get a sec...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Thanks for posting the results so quickly Jeff. And the photoshopped pictures are very well done!

On another note, we talked about why we thought that the number entries from the US were so low. It was brought up that perhaps many people [including me in the past] think that because an event is in another country that it's too big a deal to bother crossing the border. In reality it's no different than going to any other 4 hour trip in our own country. Our advice is to not let the fact that an event is in another country keep you from participating. It's likely just more of a mental thing than anything else.

Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #49 (permalink)
Turbo Lurker

VonBondo - '65 Porsche 356SC Coupe
Sounds like it was a great event, I wish I could have made it, maybe next year. I like the format, it sounds like a nice mix of hypermiling/rallying.

It looks like your weather was good too, it was nasty on Saturday 3 hours up river!

Tom
Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Tom: we did get great weather. It threatened briefly, but nothing ever happened.

EcoModder
Reply  Post New Thread