Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Plenty of ways to watch for free or reduced price.

My main way to enjoy content at reduced price is to be ignorant that it exists in the first place, and then discover it later when it finally makes it to Netflix. It's still new to you no matter when you experience it, though you do run the risk of spoilers, and miss the opportunity to discuss what is happening with people in the office. I don't read the news and work from home, so when I enjoy something is irrelevant.

...then there are the less reputable ways to acquire content.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
...then there are the less reputable ways to acquire content.

Some Captain Obvious made a comment, and not only could I not find a meme of this scene, I could not find a clip, so I found it... somewhere... and there was a ton of junk on the page. I found the source, opened the video in a new tab, and enjoyed watching "Cars" until that point.

I feel that I get my money's worth from my Prime subscription. There are plenty of things that I find cheaper there than anywhere else, plus there are shows that I enjoy, and when I have bought CDs for people, I am able to listen to them for free. Right now I am listening to a Tony Bennett channel. We will see how I like that.

It seemed that the best thing about one girlfriend was that she signed us into Hulu and Netflix, which I was able to continue watching after I broke up with her, until I moved.

She had the same Bachelor's that I did and also claimed that she was going to get into grad school, but I had a very difficult time getting her to study with me.

All that she wanted to do was cuddle and watch television. That work ethic made her repeat a semester and probably led her to losing her job and needing to find another place to live. Again.

But hey! I had free Hulu and Netflix for a while!

I do not see myself paying for either anytime soon. I will just watch less television. I will be okay.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Less cuddling huh? You'll get used to it. ...eventually.

I thought Space Scotsman was kind of a cheap shot but maybe Scotty would look like a dwarf if he wasn't clean-shaven.

Then the Hobbits get lumped in with Wesley Crusher?

Star Trek is prescriptive of our future, fantasy not so much. I'll watch whatever spills over onto Youtube. Currently Filmjoy (Movies with Mikey).

Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
I just torrent everything.

I personally loved STD. It didn't feel like just another repeat of the happy, bubbly star trek stuff we are all used to.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Who cares what it's called? It's just a label.

The only difference, in my mind, between sci-fi and fantasy is one has post-modern technology while the other has pre-modern (medieval) tech. My preference is fatasy, because they(usually) don't try to explain things (magic) rationally. The farther something is from reality, the better, imo.

Thanks for the pic, enjoyed the comparison!
True for the first part.

For the second part, you'd be surprised.

Whether or not the underlying premises of the fantasy world is explicitly explained, good science fiction and fantasy both require the same skill sets: proper world building, logical and rational rules or principles upon which the fantasy magical or technological systems are based, and a keen attention for detail.

Some of the best fantasy writers are keen science fiction writers. Case in point: George R.R. Martin, whose "Sand Kings" is one of my favorite sci-fi tales.

-

That said, Star Trek has always fallen solidly in the Space Opera camp for me: Focusing more on pageantry and story than on building a believable and plausible world. (People harp on the Abrahms' reboot not making sense... Star Trek technology has NEVER made sense. It doesn't follow the laws of physics. It is NOT self-consistent. It is NOT logically utilized within the series or movies.)

That said (x2), storywise, TNG was pretty solid. And I'm happy Jean-Luc Picard is back in town.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The brilliance of Star Trek is exploring humanity by introducing aliens who have human traits taken to an extreme.

...and I agree that great SciFi or fantasy requires adhering to the rules of the world that was created.

Star Trek has predicted many of the technologies that now exist. Doors that open and close automatically, communicators, touch screens, taking computers, etc.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-07-2018 at 02:39 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Star Trek is social commentary safely removed to a galaxy far away.
Example: Racism:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Half White.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	24653  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Who cares what it's called? It's just a label.

The only difference, in my mind, between sci-fi and fantasy is one has post-modern technology while the other has pre-modern (medieval) tech.....

Thanks for the pic, enjoyed the comparison!
Yeah, but I never had a sci-fi about Jolene Blalock.
JJ
Old 08-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You are calling "Enterprise" and "Starship Troopers 3" fantasy?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The brilliance of Star Trek is exploring humanity by introducing aliens who have human traits taken to an extreme.

...and I agree that great SciFi or fantasy requires adhering to the rules of the world that was created.

Star Trek has predicted many of the technologies that now exist. Doors that open and close automatically, communicators, touch screens, taking computers, etc.
Quite agree. Mind you: "Space Opera" is a jab against Sci-Fi that's more Fi than Sci, but TNG did raise Trek to a level far beyond the original series... which was campy as hell, but had some genuinely good moments.

Prediction wise, you can always get lucky... automated doors, communicators and computers were not a far reach for the technology of the time. (we did have radios ad computers, and computers communicating by radio) And touch screens didn't appear until TNG, I believe... and we already were experimenting with touch-sensitive surfaces on screens at the time.

Most of it was typical futurist 'wishful thinking'.

A truly impressive prediction would be to look at where technology is heading and to predict something that isn't quite commonsense... like Arthur C. Clarke's prediction of communications satellites years before the space race began (and his prediction of tablets) or Jules Verne's electric submarine or Moon Cannon. Verne was wildly off in some things, but eerily accurate in others... predicted the thrust needed to leave Earth's gravity on one hand... on the other, in "Master of the World" (or was it "Robur the Conqueror", internet is not helpful here!), he wrongly stated that a ground vehicle moving at 100 miles per hour would be moving too fast to be seen by the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf View Post
Star Trek is social commentary safely removed to a galaxy far away.
Example: Racism:
They're Pandas.

Well, almost.

They're not part-Asian.

Reply  Post New Thread