Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aero caps and wheel balancing

With making and installing DIY flat aero hubcaps, I prefer to move the balance weights all to the inside of the wheel rims, so I don't have to work around them. A tire shop says no problem. (I imagine they do it for looks on fancy rims all the time.) But a friend says my wheels will not be balanced as well. I thought I might get some more opinions here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Dynamic (tap on wheel weights on the inside and outside rim edge) offer the best balancing as they are able to take car of the "up-and-down" and some of the "side-to-side" weight differences.

Static (stick on weights in the inside of the rim) can only really compensate for the "up-and-down" weight difference.

If the guy balancing the wheel is good then you won't notice the difference between teh two types of balancing.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eco Dreamer

Versa - '08 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Actually there are 2 ways to do sticky weights. The first is what TomO is referring to, when then just put the weight centered on the inside of the rim. Most alloys use 2 spots for sticky weights, weight on the inside of the rim, and weight just behind the spokes.
You'd be just fine going with the 2nd option.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, (if I read you right) since I don't care where the sticky weights go, so long are they are below the hub cap ledge, I can still achieve the optimum type of balancing by placing them near where crimp-on weight would go, as I now understand things. It may be a matter of using just slightly different amounts of weight, but the effect will be identical, I think; the balancing of the wheel can still be perfect. Thanks for responses.

Last edited by lightning; 05-02-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread