Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Streamling Template Help

Can someone overlay the aerodynamic streamlining template on a Ford Focus ZX3? I can't figure how to make the template "clear" so that just the lines of the template are on the picture.

I attached a picture of a ZX3 if that makes things easier.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	9359  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Used a different pic from further back, here you go. I use MS Word BTW and I use the draw function to make a template shape by tracing the template. Once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy and very accurate. I designed parts for a truck cap using it, and when I scaled up the printing and had it made in lifesize, I was only off by 1/8" with 63" parts.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else let me know, it takes me about 5 min to do this.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Can we make this thread the official streamlining template requests ?

Because I need some help too.

Last edited by CigaR007; 08-27-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

@ Ciga...What do you want to see?

The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
That's perfect !

Seems like the transition between the roof line and rear glass needs some work.

Thank you for your time !
Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
... I use MS Word BTW and I use the draw function to make a template shape by tracing the template. Once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy and very accurate. I designed parts for a truck cap using it, and when I scaled up the printing and had it made in lifesize, I was only off by 1/8" with 63" parts...
Can you say more about how you do it? I have MS Word, have done some work with pics in Word, but not this yet.

Do you paste the two images on top of each other?? Set one pic as some % transparent so you can see through it?? Then trace the template with the mouse? That part seems tricky but you seem to get a nice smooth curve.

If more of us can learn how it's done that's better than a small number of people drawing up templates for everyone here, imho.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Thank You ChazInMT.

Does anybody know why the streamlining template has a 10 degree angle while the maximum angle for attached flow is 22 degree?

CigaR007- Although it would be nice to have a thread for template requests, I have to agree with brucepick, it would be more worthwhile if Someone taught us how to do it ourselves.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Thank You ChazInMT.

Does anybody know why the streamlining template has a 10 degree angle while the maximum angle for attached flow is 22 degree?

CigaR007- Although it would be nice to have a thread for template requests, I have to agree with brucepick, it would be more worthwhile if Someone taught us how to do it ourselves.
Thanks for seconding my request.

About your question on degrees... My understanding is that the template is mostly about enabling the modder to build towards the "ideal" taper, which looks to be a carefully designed curve of gradually increasing radius (as you go towards the rear). Since I see it as a curve, I don't follow when modders attempt to interpret it in degrees. The degree of slope changes, depending on what part of the curve you're examining.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's some discussion of the background of the template in this post:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rt-c-9287.html

And also here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ces-18652.html

I figure there's also a part D, probably can be found in the Project Library.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

OK, In Word, I "Insert Picture" which gets me either a car or a template say onto the word doc, I usually change my page layout to landscape.

Then I "Insert Shape" and the one I use is the freeform. It has the icon looking like this.

I start by clicking on what I want to trace at the major direction change points, or corners. In the case of the template, I make a triangle like this.

Now the real fun happens, this is cool, if you right click while the cursor is on the triangle, it has an "Edit Points" option, and you then get corner points to play with. If you cursor on a point, and left click, you get what I call "Arc Whiskers" that appear, if you grab the box on the end of the whisker, and drag it about, you control the line and can duplicate the shape perfectly. It takes practice, and you have to manipulate both ends of the arc line, but once you get the hang of it, it is super easy to trace a picture.

And here's what I end up with, the original picture, with the new red Shape on top, now you can copy and paste the shape onto any other picture you insert into a word doc.

Tips for managing the shape, you want to right click it and under "More Layout Options" or "Format Shape" you want to find the Size menu and select "Lock Aspect Ratio" this way when you grab a corner point, it will enlarge or shrink the aero template without distorting it. If you grab a side or top point, it will mash it up, remember, the undo icon is your friend here, if you screw up, just undo last change. Also, play with all the format features to change colors and sizes and such. Don't be afraid to goof around a lot to learn all the tools, right click on stuff and see what options you are presented with.

Now to "Publish" my work, I save the item as a .pdf in acrobat, then I use acrobat to save it as a .jpg. Then I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to crop the jpg file and to reduce its size if need be. I use TinyPic to upload my photos to the web, and insert the links here in the message so I don't run into any of the issues with uploading pics to Ecomodder since they are quite picky about file sizes & such.

I know this is not complete, I hope it is a simple guide to get you started in the right direction towards creating illustrations. As I said before, by using the tools available, I was able to design full size parts and have them printed on a large format printer with a 3 foot wide roll of paper that was 6 feet long that had my parts on them, all I needed to do was trace these onto other sheets of paper (I used tyvek since having been a builder it was lying about) than I cut the tyvek and traced the outline onto plywood. I was only 1/8" off over 5 feet. Scaling is critical to accomplish this.

Anyway, get started trying to mess with this, if you have questions ask, I'll try and help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
brucepick (09-08-2011), euromodder (09-09-2011), simondo (09-09-2011), Tango Charlie (09-10-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Wow. Nice detailed writeup!!!

Reply  Post New Thread