Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Another thing I am considering trying is placing my freezables inside of a couple of those insulated bags that you see at the grocery store. ( And then place the items at the bottom of the fridge where the coldest air falls. )
Usually items that are frozen at the store stay somewhat frozen and firm if you can get them home fast enough, so I wont have to worry about freezing them - only keeping them that way.

I might experiment with this idea, using my refrigerator before I actually purchase the chest freezer.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Mods : Can you please move this to the correct location ?

Sorry everyone !
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Sorry for the wait, had a busy weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
So what are the coils buried within the walls of refrigerators and freezers ? Is this the same type of coil that you are talking about ? I notice that the sides of my mini-refrigerator get very hot. I insulated the walls of my minifridge with 1.5" thick styrofoam, yet it did nothing - it even seemed to increase the power useage at one point. I guess I was just sealing in all that heat.
Since coils can be mounted outside of the walls of the refrigerator, would it help the efficiency to rip out the coils within the walls and place them on top of something like my mini-fridge ? I was under the impression that the coils need to wrap around the walls of the 'fridge to extract the heat.
A refrigerator is a heat pump: it pumps heat from inside the unit to the outside. Inside is one set of coils which pick up heat, outside is another set which radiates heat to the surrounding air. Between the two is the compressor, which can get pretty hot itself.
Most new refrigerators have plastic lining inside, with the 'cold' coils behind the lining, so you don't see them. Often there is also a fan circulating air from behind the lining to the food area. Some fridges also have the external radiator coils covered, for aesthetics I guess. Sometimes the coils are under the unit, allowing you to push the fridge up against a wall. In both cases there should be fan, since airflow around the coils is hindered by the cover. In all cases the coil area should not be covered up, as you found out with your mini-fridge. You can add insulation to those walls which don't get warm.
Quote:
With a more powerful compressor, the on-time may even be below a minute, which isn't too healthy for it.

Can you please explain that last statement further ? So if I have the compressor kicking on for less than a minute, this might damage it ?
I read somewhere that compressors shouldn't cycle on and off too often. It's more efficient to have a weaker compressor that stays on longer. Once it does switch on, however, it should stay on for at least a few minutes. I believe this is like with an IC engine: it needs to warm up so the lubes can start to work properly. Also, the gasses in the coils need time to start working properly.

As Christ said, there are things (like ice cream) that are no good when barely frozen. The box of ice cream I'm attacking at the moment states that it should not be stored above -18*C (0*F). Meat should also be frozen hard if you don't want it to start moving after 1-2 weeks.

Quote:
Another thing I am considering trying is placing my freezables inside of a couple of those insulated bags that you see at the grocery store. ( And then place the items at the bottom of the fridge where the coldest air falls. )
Usually items that are frozen at the store stay somewhat frozen and firm if you can get them home fast enough, so I wont have to worry about freezing them - only keeping them that way.
Those bags will keep a lower temp only for a certain time. They impede heat transfer, but do not stop it. So, if you put 0*F ice cream into the bottom of your eco-fridge where it's 30*F, then after maybe 12 hours the ice cream will also be at 30*F. If you put it in one of those freezer bags, it might take longer, but after 24-30 hours the ice cream will be at the same temperature as its surroundings. Heat transfer ALWAYS happens, its speed depends on temperature difference, surface area and mass.

If you do go ahead with the chest freezer to fridge conversion, you may have a problem with water condensation inside. Since the inside coils get cold, water from the air condenses on them. In a normal fridge there should be a small drain at the bottom of the coils which drains the water through the back wall into a plastic container on top of the compressor. When the fridge is running, the heat from the compressor evaporates that water. In a freezer, the coils are at a much lower temperature, so instead of water you get a layer of ice. If the freezer has auto defrost, then every-so-often a heater will melt this ice and the water will drain out. (A heater inside a freezer, isn't that just sooo efficient?) If you have manual defrost, then there might not be a drain, so the bottom of unit may get wet if it is used as a refrigerator. This is something you will want to think about when picking a unit.

Another note: If you want to put the unit in a closet, then other than making sure that there is adequate air circulation, you can also add extra insulation to the walls and even the top, since it will be out of view. You can even insulate the wall with the coils: use a thin (5-10mm) piece of styrofoam with foil on one side, between the wall and the coils. Just make sure it's not touching the coils and that they have air flow.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Even at stock freezing temperatures, the 5 cu.ft. chest freezer that I am looking at is more efficient than the 3.1 cu.ft. mini-fridge that I currently use. The mini-fridge uses 196 kWh, to as much as 298 kWh per year depending on the temperature in the room that it is in. The average so far this month is around 230 kWh ( As measured with a Kill-A-Watt ) This is with the temperature dial turned just above 'off'. ( The EnergyGuide rating for the mini-fridge is 334 kWh.)
The freezer stock burns 240 kWh, so turning it up just a few degrees will match, and even better what I currently use with the fridge.

I'm really bummed about not being able to have a freezer in the ...um... 'freezer'.

QUOTE : "Another note: If you want to put the unit in a closet, then other than making sure that there is adequate air circulation, you can also add extra insulation to the walls and even the top, since it will be out of view. You can even insulate the wall with the coils: use a thin (5-10mm) piece of styrofoam with foil on one side, between the wall and the coils. Just make sure it's not touching the coils and that they have air flow "

I tried this with the mini-fridge. Are you suggesting that the walls are not going to heat up on the freezer like they did with the mini-fridge ?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you wanted a separate freezer section, I recommend finding out where the coils on the inside of the chest freezer are, and building a small insulated box around them (just use some foam-and-foil panels). Inside that box it will be colder than the rest of the 'freezer'. If you make sure that the temperature sensor is inside the box, you won't even have to modify it electrically - the rest of the 'freezer' will be naturally at a warmer 'fridge temperature'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd
I tried this with the mini-fridge. Are you suggesting that the walls are not going to heat up on the freezer like they did with the mini-fridge ?
Ok, how a fridge/freezer works is that it has two coils -- the cold coil (called the condenser) is inside the box and the hot coil (called the radiator) is outside the box. Heat moves from the cold coil to the hot one.

Almost all coldboxen have the condenser hidden, so you can't see it from inside the box. Some coldboxen (like your minifridge) also hide the radiator. Mine doesn't, so you can actually see a coil of metal tubing on the back which gets warm when it runs.

In summary: adding insulation to the coldbox = good. Adding insulation between the radiator and the rest of the room = bad. Adding insulation between the radiator and the inside of the coldbox = good. Anything that lets the radiator cool better (e.g. adding a fan, keeping dust off it, immersing it in cold water(provided it won't rust)) = good

PS: To quote a previous post, use [quote=NAME]QUOTED TEXT[/quote].

Last edited by MissileStick; 07-01-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Alty-magnet - '06 Nissan Altima SE
90 day: 33.83 mpg (US)

maxi-magnet II - '12 Nissan Maxima S
FYI, There is a new invention from UK. It is called the ecube. It it a device which is installed over the thermostat of a cooler and mimics real food as opposed to measuring the temperature of the air in the cooler. When the cooler,refrigerator door is opened the cold air falls out and the air temperature probe immediatly senses the warmer air and cycles on. With the ecube the probe is covered by the device and only cycles on when the material in the ecube (which mimics real food) changed temperature enogh to warrant cycling on. The result is fewer on cyces and longer run periods, thus saving up to 20% on electric bill and increasing motor life up 80% due to less on-off cycles. Google "ecube" for info. The price is kind of high but it depends on how adament you are about saving electric.

Last edited by hondo434; 07-11-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

a thought, It seems you trying to make a refigerator that lies flat on the ground. Because you will have to break up chest into differt sections and make fans move air to where you want it Etc. You will probably end up with a make shift refer laying on ground with not much savings. If you know how to work with refrigerent and work on compressors maybe you could just take refer which is all set up with compartments you'll need, lay it flat and reconfigure compressor so it sits upright in unit so it can function.
Another answer to the previous question about compressors cyling to quickly is because compressors can build up head pressure and can affect the compressors ability to restart, thus possibly burning out motor. Compressors should wait about 3-5 minutes before restarting to illiminate head pressure. This is true of all compressors,A/C,refer, freezers .
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Check out Sundanzer solar chest freezer/dc power. check sundanzer site for specs. May this will give you ideas.

Reply  Post New Thread