Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
needs some kill decals on the fender and an iron cross on the side of the wing for sure!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
I've always loved those cars. The best one I've ever seen was a Charger Daytona that was Petty blue with a 426 Hemi that had been tuned with MPFI, massive chromed CAI, a modern (for mid-90s when I saw it) stereo stealthily cut into the car (except the 12" sub in the package tray) and sitting low over NASCAR-look wheels.

They did some different things on these cars because cars were just plain built different back then. One of the things that they did was put a large metal cap plate over the A-pillars. I had read about them having to do this to improve aerodynamics but haven't been able to locate the discussion on the reasons why. I want to say it had to do with ducting air over the top of the car as opposed to allowing vortices to form outside each front window, but it may have been a cheap/cheating way to shield the rain gutters from the air flow.

I'm rather interested in these because on my truck the visible portion of the A-pillar is entirely built into the front doors and it closes over a gasket on the structural pillar/windshield frame. From the airflow the door skins create massive scoops where air shedding across the windscreen in combination with the aero low pressure outside the front windows will pry the upper door skin/window frame away from the gasket and create an air leak. I hear the air leak regularly above 75 mph if I'm near trucks or if there is any head- or cross-wind (and at slower speeds is less favorable weather conditions).

One of the studies in contrasts between "aero" cars of old and more modern vehicles is the fitment of the windows. Before CFD and wind tunnel tests were common manufacturers flush-mounted the windscreens but the side and rear windows were deep-set inside thick window/door frames (take a close look at a mid-80s Dodge truck sometime). Most modern vehicles have very flush-mounted side and rear windows but relatively deep-seated windscreens (like my truck, my dad's old Contour - both have thick A pillars that protrude forward of the surface of the glass).

The Charger Daytona did indeed have better aerodynamics than the Superbird because the Daytona was designed to be what it was. The Superbird was more substantially different than the base Road Runner and was cobbled from parts of other vehicles rather than just the Road Runner. I had also heard that the Superbird had a completely different rear wing and that the uprights were significantly canted inward toward the rear to help reduce wake turbulence and flow separation on the deck lid.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
If there was someone here on the site who owned one, I would had to see them making fender skirts and putting smooth wheel covers on a rare gem like that.
Haven't seen that but I did see a Daytona here in Spokane that had been painted with a paint brush. Yeah, it was ugly and no way to treat a classic.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silverslug - '04 Hyundai Accent GL
Hmm. This makes me think about my '92 Camaro. Interesting point about channeling air up and over vs. letting it go around the sides. I have noticed many newer vehicles with set- in windshields and/or roof lines with lower areas toward the middle running from front to back ( does that make ANY sense?).
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Plymouth Feather Duster

Hi,
I'm new here and this is my first post.
In the mid-70's Plymouth had the Feather Duster, Slant 6 with some aluminum body parts and manual O/D transmission that supposedly could get up to 36 mpg. Wonder how it would do with mods that some of you are talking about on here!
Ray Mac
Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
I have a 1976 Dart Lite, the twin to the Feather Duster. Mine is currently a /6 but was an early version that came with the 3 speed manual, instead of the 4 speed OD. I have the 4 speed, so it will be going in at some point. I am conducting my own MPG experiment as we speak, and it is posted on some of the Mopar forums (Forabodiesonly.com and slantsix.org.) I have gone from an as purchased MPG of 13 up to 20 MPG so far. I am making modifications bit by bit, with a goal of maximizing the tune on the car as is, and then swapping in the overdrive transmission.
IMO the number of 36 is not realistic, as the method of reporting MPG was far different then it is today. I would be thrilled to be at 25+. Bear in mind, my current is combination of city and highway, so a max out build with all the tricks could be into the 30's but I just don't see 36-36 as possible.
I am modifying with the intent of the turbo that is going on this winter, so some modifications are not totally directed towards an absolute Ecomodder direction, but the general direction is something that I can build and tune towards best mileage possible in an older hotrod, on a 3 or so times a week driver.

Last edited by Backtobasics; 08-22-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Always loved the SuperBird. The wing made the car and it was made for getting good traction at high speeds. Imagine if you took that overall shape, lowered the front a bit, took off the rear wing and made a more aerodynamic spoiler. That thing would have one hell of a low Cd.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fud2468 View Post
Hi,
I'm new here and this is my first post.
In the mid-70's Plymouth had the Feather Duster, Slant 6 with some aluminum body parts and manual O/D transmission that supposedly could get up to 36 mpg. Wonder how it would do with mods that some of you are talking about on here!
Ray Mac
I used to have a 71 Demon.. any sites around that talk about the feather duster? I couldn't find one..

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Ahhh, the Superbird. One of the finest things to ever roll on rubber! That and the 67 & 68 Shelby GT 500's. Sweeet!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Dart Lite - '76 Dodge Dart Dart Lite
90 day: 18.34 mpg (US)

Beater..with a Heater - '94 Isuzu Rodeo LS
90 day: 16.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
I used to have a 71 Demon.. any sites around that talk about the feather duster? I couldn't find one..

from Wikipedia: Dart Lite
And with fuel economy becoming more of a concern, a special Dart Lite was released. This was a Dart Sport made as light as possible with an aluminum hood, trunk bracing and bumper brackets, an aluminum intake manifold on the 225 CID Slant-6 engine for the first time since 1960, specially-calibrated carburetor and distributor, economy rear axle ratio, and TorqueFlite automatic or A833 4-speed manual overdrive transmission. When equipped with the manual transmission, the Dart Lite was rated by the EPA at 36 highway mpg.

From Wikipedia, Feather Duster...similar...
The 1976 Feather Duster was an engineering success, featuring many lightweight parts including the intake manifold, bumper brackets, hood and trunk bracing, and manual transmission housing. It had a 225 Slant Six calibrated for economy, a low-restriction exhaust system, an extra-high rear axle ratio and was offered with either the Torqueflite 3-speed automatic or A833OD overdrive 4-speed manual transmission. It was, by far, the most fuel-efficient car in its size class (along with a similar Dodge model, the Dart Lite)[

Reply  Post New Thread