Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

nadia - '03 ford mustang mach1
90 day: 18.47 mpg (US)

Jasper - '11 ford f150 xlt ecoboost
90 day: 18.71 mpg (US)

Festy festiva - '91 ford festiva L
TEAM FESTIVA
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
suzuki swift versus ford fiesta

Hey guys.

Looking for opinions on whether to stick with my current eco-beater 1991 festiva or purchase a 2001 Suzuki swift with 5 speed.

I am getting around 50 MPG right now in the festiva at 70-75MPH. It has a boat tail and pretty much 98% of the mods I can do with it. I feel like the engine is getting old and costing me some MPG. Plus it seems to just be a worse platform then the swift for MPG.

So will getting allow me to mod and get over 60 MPG at 75 MPH? Does it have more potential from the get go or is that just me?

The one major benefit is OBD2 so I can actively monitor the fuel usage instead of guessing if it is helping.

Thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Here is how I look at it: How does the newer vehicle's price compare to the $$$ of rebuilding your current engine and transmission? How are the insurance rates on each? Part prices? If the Swift works out to be more expensive, then it would make sense to stick with what you have.

Darin (MetroMPG) has had his Pontiac Firefly (rebadged Swift/Metro) up to over 100 mpg in his fuel log. He will be able to give you the low-down on the Swift and provide a better comparison.

As far as instrumentation goes, have you look into a SuperMID or MPGuino? Those are the ones that work in pre-OBD2 vehicles. Several people on here run them. Basjoos has the SuperMID, OG VX and The Donkey CRX have the MPGuino, they work great for them.

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Old 06-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
09 Toyo Yaris HB (Huevos)

Not quite sure in its relevant to you but one opportunity the Swift offers is the ability play around with forced induction. Zage offers a turbo kit for the 1.3 liter Swift. While most people consider turbo as "power adders." and they are if configured as such. There is a whole bunch of research from the late 70s with high octane fuel and turbos that might be worth trying to find online. Unfortunately, most of those articles focused on HP over torque.

Add a boomslang harness and AEM FIC 6 and you can setup some interesting and efficient tunes.

I was originally headed in that direction with my 09' Toyota Yaris build. However, as the miles built up on the original engine I'm opting for a closer to stock setup with mild tuning for the daily drive, but gear ratio changes, and lighter than OEM drive train pulleys, flywheel, and alternator.

Maybe the second engine build will use a turbo or supercharger, At 180K miles that engine will need fresh internals anyway.

Last edited by 2009Toyotoad; 06-18-2015 at 03:30 AM..
Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
STICK WITH THE FESTIVA!!!*

Unless your wife carpools with you like mine does, that is. Then go with the one she will actually ride in, since carpooling's the mod that saves you save the most money! I'm going to assume she does NOT like the Festiva if my wife is any indication.

*Not that I'm biased or anything, lol!

If you're looking for 60+ mpg at 75 mph without working your tail off to get there, find yourself a 5-spd G1 Insight. Unfortunately you live in a dead zone for finding one nearby, so you'd have to drive for one.

Last edited by cowmeat; 06-18-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I love the festiva !!

Reply  Post New Thread