Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceej View Post
I take it you were referring to me on the new bulb that makes more light with the same wattage.

The technology utilizes an infrared reflective coating. There is a modification that can be made to a 9011 irc bulb base that allows the bulb to be installed where a 9005 was originally. While current remains the same, a large percentage of heat energy is reflected back into the element. This is where the greater light output comes from.

Toshiba makes these bulbs. I'm not sure of any other manufacturers of this technology at this time.

CJ

I didn't know we were talking about that HIR bulbs. I know all about those. Is that what Sylvania EcoBright bulbs are??

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Box - '99 Chevy Metro Base

Transit - '10 Ford Transit Connect Van XLT
90 day: 23.2 mpg (US)
Possible. Don't know. The 9006 replacement is an Osram/Sylvania that was suggested for my low beam. Unfortunately, I'm limited by the stock headlights on the low beams. The front shielding has to be done on the bulb. No shields built into the headlight itself.

CJ
Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Draco - '89 Ford F150 ext cab shrt bed XLT Lariat
90 day: 16.45 mpg (US)
Had a headlight go out few weeks ago, the last silverstar of the pair I put in a year ago. I kept the old good bulb and used that when the first SS went out 4 months ago I think a slight collision encouraged that failure though.

anyway on topic Saw the ecobrights checked them out and I feel it's just a marketing gimmick. reg headlights are bright enough for me.
If they want to be "ECO" they should be focusing on longer life, instead of filling up landfills with blown bulbs. but they never will cause if it lasts forever we wont buy another. and thats bad for business, I think wasting the customers money is bad for business.
Because we are big dumb redneck Americans and we only want V8s that thunder and use lots of gas pushing our empty Super Duties down the highway at 100 MPH in the fast lane while warming our butts in heated leather seats and chowing down on double quarter pounders and texting on our cell phones. We cant understand non-V8 engines because that ain't whut NASCAR uses...
Not this American.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
those are not 9011 nor 9012 bulbs. They don't have much about them, but I'd hazard a simple change in filament material properties could net same light output for slightly less wattage, but at a decrease in bulb life. They are a bulb company, they sell bulbs. They will do what is needed to make money, even if that means not telling the whole truth.

There have been plenty of tests using volt/amp meters in conjunction with light meters showing that the HIR bulbs do as them claim: same or similar wattage with higher lumen output. Life expectancy? No one I know has done an extensive test, but personal testimony says they last just as long as a standard halogen.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

Thanks for all the input. From all of this I am gathering that :

1 - If I was a car lighting expert (which I am not), I could probably do a custom install of HIDs that are enclosed in their own projectors *without* hurting the visibility of other drivers.

2 - There is a good chance that the EcoBrights probably don't last as long as their higher wattage siblings.

I might get the EcoBrights as a test, but only if I can get my hands on better specifications. I won't buy them without a comparative spec sheet.

I don't think I have changed a headlight bulb in 150K miles. Sooooo, if I ever do get them, I am not sure I will have the car long enough to test their durability.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 01-27-2010 at 01:58 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I will probably get around to installing HIDs into the projectors I added to my Neon. I replaced the stock headlights with these.

HIDs don't like to be switched on and off, so I will have to mod the wiring harness to keep them on with my high beams (which will be 80 watts...).
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Adding HID's to aftermarket projector housings will work, but don't expect to be blown away by the results.

If you want true OEM HID performance, you'll have to retrofit some true OEM HID projectors into your headlights.

I had a set of ebay projector lights on my old ram. Sure I could tell the difference when I went to the 6000k HIDs, but the amount of light from BOTH 35W HIDs in the ebay cheapo projectors BARELY touches as much as I get out of ONE TSX HID projector (Same 35 W 6000k bulb)

Food for thought. If you're really wanting awesome light output, you'll have to get something stock and retrofit it.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jethro -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Adding HID's to aftermarket projector housings will work, but don't expect to be blown away by the results.

If you want true OEM HID performance, you'll have to retrofit some true OEM HID projectors into your headlights.

I had a set of ebay projector lights on my old ram. Sure I could tell the difference when I went to the 6000k HIDs, but the amount of light from BOTH 35W HIDs in the ebay cheapo projectors BARELY touches as much as I get out of ONE TSX HID projector (Same 35 W 6000k bulb)

Food for thought. If you're really wanting awesome light output, you'll have to get something stock and retrofit it.
Yeah, you're right. If I were to do this, my goal would be to have the same light output at lower amps. It looks like HIDPlanet.com is a good resource, which I found about in this thread :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ces-11469.html

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
The Retrofit Source is where I did my research / bought my parts. Never had an issue with em.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via MSN to morderburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
light output is measured in lumans, wattage in to light out is not linear. also color temp has an effect of brightness. if I remember right 48xx K is the brighest. 6000k is about 90%. 8000k is about 70% 10000k is about 55%.

I went with 6000K drop in replacement bulbs from Vvme (I got a deal on some through my Matrix fourm for $50 shipped). They are cheaper than your Ebay site.

yeah, $50 shipped is unbeatable deal to me....how does your 6k VVME HID lights look like ??? is it very bright white with slight blue tint around as they descripted ?????

i am considering to upgrade to HID headlights recently,... which single beam HID should i get from that vvme.com ????

can u post some pics or process of your installation?????

thanks,

Reply  Post New Thread