Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #281 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK, I finally got the build to flash (issues with ISP cable) but I have some questions about the settings. I can't find what they all mean, like:
FrArea * 1000
rho * 1000
C(d) * 1000
C(v) * 1000
C(rr) * 1000
FE/Time Period s
bgLower * 1000 MPH
bgSize * 1000 MPH

Also, I can't seem to get this build to show the correct RPM & MPH
For the RPM, I have tried several Revs/Inj Pulse values, but they're all off for me

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #282 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Here, let me re-arrange your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimCarrey View Post
I can't seem to get this build to show the correct RPM & MPH
For the RPM, I have tried several Revs/Inj Pulse values, but they're all off for me
Can you post what vehicle your MPGuino is going into? Can you also post a YouTube video of what results you're getting with the MPH and RPM displays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimCarrey View Post
I have some questions about the settings. I can't find what they all mean, like:
FrArea * 1000
rho * 1000
C(d) * 1000
C(v) * 1000
C(rr) * 1000
FE/Time Period s
bgLower * 1000 MPH
bgSize * 1000 MPH
These mentioned settings do not have any direct effect on speed or fuel readings. If a setting has "* 1000" in it, then that means that the displayed setting needs to be multiplied by 1000 to be entered as an MPGuino setting. For instance, to set the bgLower * 1000 MPH setting to 20 MPH, you'd need to enter "20000" into MPGuino for that setting.

These below settings are for an added feature I have not yet fully implemented into the MPGuino code, which is the ability for the MPGuino to quickly calculate aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance coefficients for a given vehicle.
  • FrArea is your vehicle's Frontal Area (either in ft ^ 2 or m ^ 2, depending on your metric setting).
  • rho is the atmospheric density (in either lb / ft ^ 3 or kg / m ^ 3)
  • C(d) is the computed coefficient of drag (this is dimensionless)
  • C(v) is the computed coefficient of viscosity (also dimensionless)
  • C(rr) is the computed coefficient of rolling resistance (also dimensionless)

These below settings are for the graphic displays for the (something) vs. Speed added feature. There are currently 4 different graphs associated with this feature - FE vs. Speed, Engine runtime vs. Speed, Distance vs. Speed, and Fuel Consumption vs. Speed.
  • bgLower is the minimum speed at which the bar graph is to collect and display data (either in MPH or KPH, depending on your metric setting)
  • bgSize is the size of each bar in the bar graph (there are 16 separate bars). So, if your bgLower is set at 20 MPH, and your bgSize is set at 5 MPH, then the bar graph display will show data for 20 MPH, 25 MPH, 30 MPH, and so on. (this is also either MPH or KPH)

These below settings are for the graphic displays for the (something) vs. Time added feature. There are currently 2 different graphs associated with this feature - Differential FE vs. Time, and FE vs. Time. It is an MPGuino implementation of this real-time graphic feedback feature that is found on the ScanGauge E.
  • FE/Time Period is the time step for this bar graph. For this setting, MPGuino will collect a windowed average collection of data for the specified time period. Once this time period is reached, MPGuino will slide the collected average onto the rolling bar graph display, and will also discard the oldest collected average. (this is in seconds)

Last edited by t vago; 01-07-2014 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: clarified x vs. Speed explanation
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #283 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks

I have it installed in a 92 Civic VX Hatchback with either a 94 or 99 engine (forget which)
Here's the video, just please ignore the temporary ugly install:
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #284 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Interesting. What is the clock speed of your MPGuino? Is it a pre-made unit (JBD, meelis, etc) ?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #285 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Geez. I'm blaming the weather on this; it's slowing my brain. It has a 20 MHz crystal, but I compiled it for 16.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #286 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

I have updated my MPGuino code. The latest version corrects a particularly nasty bug that cropped up with the dynamic status line display that I added back in December of last year. Basically, the bug crashed MPGuino whenever a user attempted to update a setting. Fixed another bug that caused the compiler to die with a fatal error, if somebody were to attempt to compile the code for use with an AtMega2560 (details here -> bug with relaxation on mega2560).

I also added 4 more main pages, which I think should ease taking fuel logs, and I updated the tank/current trip save/load/reset menu to make it easy to go to these fuel log pages. This menu has also been massaged to make it easier to navigate.

It is saved at the first post of this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (04-02-2014), josemapiro (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #287 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
I have updated my MPGuino code. The latest version corrects a particularly nasty bug that cropped up with the dynamic status line display that I added back in December of last year. Basically, the bug crashed MPGuino whenever a user attempted to update a setting. Fixed another bug that caused the compiler to die with a fatal error, if somebody were to attempt to compile the code for use with an AtMega2560 (details here -> bug with relaxation on mega2560).

I also added 4 more main pages, which I think should ease taking fuel logs, and I updated the tank/current trip save/load/reset menu to make it easy to go to these fuel log pages. This menu has also been massaged to make it easier to navigate.

It is saved at the first post of this thread.
Hi t vago
thanks for this update but available.
This trying to run the Arduino IDE 1.5.5 and the following error:
sketch_mar09a.ino: 2699: error: 'doTripShowCancel' was not declared in this scope
sketch_mar09a.ino: In function 'void NOSUPPORT ()':
sketch_mar09a.ino: 5937: error: 'itoa' was not declared in this scope

what the problem, is an error in the code, or some incompatibility with this version of Arduino.

Thank you
José Rodrigues
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #288 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Good question! Let me look at it some more when I get some free time. I should have an answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, can you re-insert this line, and tell me what happens?

Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
josemapiro (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #289 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Good question! Let me look at it some more when I get some free time. I should have an answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, can you re-insert this line, and tell me what happens?

Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
Hi t vago
Already reduced the error, but still gives the following error:
sketch_mar10a.ino: 2700: error: 'doTripShowCancel' was not declared in this scope

Thank you
José Rodrigues
The Following User Says Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
t vago (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #290 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemapiro View Post
Hi t vago
Already reduced the error, but still gives the following error:
sketch_mar10a.ino: 2700: error: 'doTripShowCancel' was not declared in this scope

Thank you
José Rodrigues
Interesting. It may be that this beta Arduino IDE may have stricter type checking.

Can you insert this bolded line at about line 550 of your copy of the source code, and tell me what you get? It is missing in the latest version I released.

Code:
void doTripPrintType(uint8_t tripIdx);
void doTripBumpSlot(void);
void doTripShowCancel(void);
#endif
#ifdef useScreenEditor // Programmable main display screen edit support section

The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
josemapiro (03-11-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread