Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
You should also consider ordering a used motor online from some of the major engine importers like HmotorsOnline.com. They import motors from Japan and have some USDM engines as well. The motors are salvaged from wrecked cars, and those that fail their strict emissions tests. A lot of Honda tuners go this route, with a lot of happy customers. The motors are usually low mileage. The best part, you get Honda quality and good value. You can get a 3 stage VTEC motor for under $700. These are the "super economy" motors that have lean burn like a VX, but HP like an EX. If I had to do it again, I would go this route. Just order the ECU with the motor, use your VX transmission, and you've got a fun car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
I'll offer my experiences, hopefully you will avoid the mistakes I made.

First, try to find a shop that specializes in import motors. You want someone who is familiar with the engine they are working on. This means you might find a local shop, or you might have to ship your engine somewhere else in the country. Whatever the extra effort, it's worth it to get it done how you want it, by someone with experience on the engine you have. Going to a Honda shop does not mean they will add performance parts to your motor. They will build it to OEM specs if you want it that way. They will use OEM parts, OEM specs, nothing fancy. If you are going to pay someone to do something, make sure they do it the way you want.

Second, there are many companies that remanufacture engines and sell them to the public. You can find these engines for sale on eBay and by searching google. Sometimes local shops will sell engines to the public (good luck finding a VX motor local though). Online is the route I went. I bought a remanufactured D16Y5 for my HX from a company called Engines Direct. They sell on eBay. They had good feedback and all of their customer reviews were good. The complete longblock was $1500, shipping was about $250, and they do have a core charge ($500 I think). The engine was at my house within 5 days after ordering. They send you a crate, when you are done swapping the engine just call the shipping company and they pick it up for free.

The lesson I learned?

A lot of the companies that sell nationally use generic parts to rebuild the motor. Sometimes they build motors from all makes and models. They might not specialize in a certain brand.

- My headgasket went at 10,000 miles
- My rear main oil seal started leaking at 50,000 miles
- My timing belt snapped while I was driving 70 mph on the highway at 65,000 miles

Other than those 3 critical failures, the motor has been great lol. The company is fantastic to work with. Shipping was quick, the motor was clean. Luckily I am extremely handy working on my car and was able to perform the repairs myself, with good quality OEM parts this time. Thankfully the valves were not damaged when timing belt snapped (miracle). The motor is almost at 70,000 miles now.

Bottom line: Whoever builds your motor, have them use OEM parts or at least high quality aftermarket parts. A remanufactured motor is an investment in your cars future. If you want it to last, you need quality parts where it counts. Don't cheap out in this department.

BTW, most places I researched only offer very short warranties. Mine was 90 days. The quality of the build will not show until after the warranty has expired usually. If you can find someone who offers a 1 year, or 2 year warranty, that is fantastic.
Outstanding, this was just the sort of advice that I was looking for as well as thanks to everyone else who has commented. Please continue to comment as more comments and advice are being welcomed.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

In terms of fuel economy, the instructor that I had a the local technical college said that it's all located at the cylinders. The semester had ended by the time he was able to elaborate, so I am wondering what he may have meant by that. Is there anyone able to explain? How would I factor that into my rebuild?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
The cylinders determine how much air (therefore how much fuel) is required to turn the motor. An older motor can see decreased fuel economy if the rings and/or valves are not sealing correctly. This doesn't allow it to reach full compression, created a lack of power and fuel economy. That's what was wrong with my original motor. Once of the cylinders was severely leaking, to the point where it would misfire. At best I could get 35 MPG with that motor.

As long as the shop rebuilds the motor to factory specs, and uses quality parts, you can be sure compression will be 100% restored, meaning your engine will be at it's most efficient. Honda did an incredible job engineering the VX motor, I wouldn't go trying to modify the design. There are options such as aftermarket pistons that effect the compression ratio, you could bore the cylinder out to a 1.6 instead of 1.5, etc. But for fuel economy you want to go OEM and run what Honda gave you.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
You should also consider ordering a used motor online from some of the major engine importers like HmotorsOnline.com. They import motors from Japan and have some USDM engines as well. The motors are salvaged from wrecked cars, and those that fail their strict emissions tests. A lot of Honda tuners go this route, with a lot of happy customers. The motors are usually low mileage. The best part, you get Honda quality and good value. You can get a 3 stage VTEC motor for under $700. These are the "super economy" motors that have lean burn like a VX, but HP like an EX. If I had to do it again, I would go this route. Just order the ECU with the motor, use your VX transmission, and you've got a fun car.
HMO or Tiger Japanese

Tiger has this, exactly what you are looking for...

D15B SOHC VTEC-E Engine & Manual 5 Speed Transmission 92-95 - Honda & Acura

You cannot bore the motor out enough to get 1.6L. The cheapest way to bump the compression during rebuild is a thinner headgasket and/or milling the head.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

Note there is a minor issue with that calc, I've not been able to get a hold of Katy to get it fixed.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
HMO or Tiger Japanese

Tiger has this, exactly what you are looking for...

D15B SOHC VTEC-E Engine & Manual 5 Speed Transmission 92-95 - Honda & Acura

You cannot bore the motor out enough to get 1.6L. The cheapest way to bump the compression during rebuild is a thinner headgasket and/or milling the head.

Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks

Note there is a minor issue with that calc, I've not been able to get a hold of Katy to get it fixed.
The truth be known is that I would plan to keep the stock bore of the motor. Everything spec and all. As for used, I think I would feel more comfortable if I got a solid warranty. Still, the engine & transmission combo is attractive, I just can't be certain of the mileage.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I was just looking at the parts from Majestic Honda, whereas some internal parts for the engine are no longer in production (e.g.SHAFT, EX. ROCKER ARM,VALVE ASSY., SPOOL, CYLINDER HEAD ASSY etc.) Ideally, OEM is best; but are there other sources where I can acceptable aftermarket parts?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you are serious about fuel economy a custom rebuild is the only way to go. If done correctly your engine will be free based on the fuel savings on a 3-5 year drive cycle. More power and increased service life make this a no brainer.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey442 View Post
If you are serious about fuel economy a custom rebuild is the only way to go. If done correctly your engine will be free based on the fuel savings on a 3-5 year drive cycle. More power and increased service life make this a no brainer.
Oh I am quite serious about fuel economy, and I have saved up enough funds with that in mind. In terms of a custom build, what "exactly" would that involve? What should I have the engine builder do?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wrote a lengthy reply but when tried to post it directed me to log on again. All that I wrote was lost. Send me a pm and I'll try to get the information to you.

Reply  Post New Thread