Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Take My VX Engine to a Speed Shop?

Hello Everyone:

I'm thinking about getting the engine to my 94 Honda Civic Vx remanufactured, whereas the one option available to me is the local speed shop in the neighborhood, while the second option would be the Engine and Transmission Exchange that caters to the general public.

Of the two, I've been trying to determine which would be the better choice. My ultimate goal is to have the engine completely overhauled back to factory specs, while regaining the ever so coveted 50+mpg that we all come to love. That is priority one!

The question is, whether the local speed shop would be the right choice, given that they're more hot-rod & performance driven, whereas what I'm trying to have built is a pump friendly tea sipper & no performance. Maybe I'm being too bias; but would there be any advantage to going that route?

Thank You

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Most Performance machine shops don't have the smaller tooling for Honda motors. Most shops are set up for 3.75" and bigger bores whereas Honda D's are just under 3" bores.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well sir that one can go either way on ya. is there a place where all the honda kids go in your area? That will probbably be good route or anywhere that a guarantee is valid and without doubts. You dont really explain if your doing the install but I sorta feel like you arent. It has always been the case that I can buy a remanufactured engine with warrenty for less than any shop will build it for, regardless of if they can even build it better. I suggest you shop around some because some of the hot dogg civic power tricks also help mpg when used responsibly.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
Most Performance machine shops don't have the smaller tooling for Honda motors. Most shops are set up for 3.75" and bigger bores whereas Honda D's are just under 3" bores.
Good point, I will make it a point to ask if they are capable.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
Well sir that one can go either way on ya. is there a place where all the honda kids go in your area? That will probbably be good route or anywhere that a guarantee is valid and without doubts. You dont really explain if your doing the install but I sorta feel like you arent. It has always been the case that I can buy a remanufactured engine with warrenty for less than any shop will build it for, regardless of if they can even build it better. I suggest you shop around some because some of the hot dogg civic power tricks also help mpg when used responsibly.
To clarify, it would not be me remanufacturing the engine. At the moment, I no longer have the time or access to a machine shop like I did last fall at the local tech school. Even still, my skills are only rudimentary at best. All I did then was tear down & reassembled a small block Chevy engine. However; I would be interested to know where I could find a remanufactured engine with warranty for less than what a shop would build it. Would you be willing to list a few sites? I'm liking the idea of an engine that ready to be dropped in. That would save some $$$cash$$$.

Last edited by Davo53209@yahoo.com; 03-14-2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: needed more
Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Could you not order a freshly machined block and put it together your self?
Thats what I did, only used the machine shop to balance the pistons, rods, crank, flex plate and harmonic ballancer. That would allow you to reuse as much as possible and you could ebay your old block, sure some one would buy it if it was rebuildable.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Or consider having one of the national rebuilders do your engine. Then you get a serious warranty and some peace of mind. Make sure your cooling system is in good shape so you avoid any overheating situation or something else that would damage the engine and possibly void a warranty. It won't be cheap but then you should have something reliable long term.

regards
Mech
Old 03-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Could you not order a freshly machined block and put it together your self?
Thats what I did, only used the machine shop to balance the pistons, rods, crank, flex plate and harmonic ballancer. That would allow you to reuse as much as possible and you could ebay your old block, sure some one would buy it if it was rebuildable.
I wish that I could; but I am too strapped for time given that I am deeply involved in my degree program. My summer is booked too and well into the next two years. Instead, I am forced to settle upon someone else doing the work for me.

Last edited by Davo53209@yahoo.com; 03-14-2014 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: more
Old 03-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Or consider having one of the national rebuilders do your engine. Then you get a serious warranty and some peace of mind. Make sure your cooling system is in good shape so you avoid any overheating situation or something else that would damage the engine and possibly void a warranty. It won't be cheap but then you should have something reliable long term.

regards
Mech
Outside of the stock goal of 50+mpg's, a serious warranty & a solid piece of mind are priorities. When you say, "National Rebuilders", do you have anyone that you can recommend?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I'll offer my experiences, hopefully you will avoid the mistakes I made.

First, try to find a shop that specializes in import motors. You want someone who is familiar with the engine they are working on. This means you might find a local shop, or you might have to ship your engine somewhere else in the country. Whatever the extra effort, it's worth it to get it done how you want it, by someone with experience on the engine you have. Going to a Honda shop does not mean they will add performance parts to your motor. They will build it to OEM specs if you want it that way. They will use OEM parts, OEM specs, nothing fancy. If you are going to pay someone to do something, make sure they do it the way you want.

Second, there are many companies that remanufacture engines and sell them to the public. You can find these engines for sale on eBay and by searching google. Sometimes local shops will sell engines to the public (good luck finding a VX motor local though). Online is the route I went. I bought a remanufactured D16Y5 for my HX from a company called Engines Direct. They sell on eBay. They had good feedback and all of their customer reviews were good. The complete longblock was $1500, shipping was about $250, and they do have a core charge ($500 I think). The engine was at my house within 5 days after ordering. They send you a crate, when you are done swapping the engine just call the shipping company and they pick it up for free.

The lesson I learned?

A lot of the companies that sell nationally use generic parts to rebuild the motor. Sometimes they build motors from all makes and models. They might not specialize in a certain brand.

- My headgasket went at 10,000 miles
- My rear main oil seal started leaking at 50,000 miles
- My timing belt snapped while I was driving 70 mph on the highway at 65,000 miles

Other than those 3 critical failures, the motor has been great lol. The company is fantastic to work with. Shipping was quick, the motor was clean. Luckily I am extremely handy working on my car and was able to perform the repairs myself, with good quality OEM parts this time. Thankfully the valves were not damaged when timing belt snapped (miracle). The motor is almost at 70,000 miles now.

Bottom line: Whoever builds your motor, have them use OEM parts or at least high quality aftermarket parts. A remanufactured motor is an investment in your cars future. If you want it to last, you need quality parts where it counts. Don't cheap out in this department.

BTW, most places I researched only offer very short warranties. Mine was 90 days. The quality of the build will not show until after the warranty has expired usually. If you can find someone who offers a 1 year, or 2 year warranty, that is fantastic.

Reply  Post New Thread