Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The tale of Prius (a summary of Hybrid Synergy Drive)

(Enter Allie, a 1.5L inline 4 cylinder gasoline engine, and Jean, the leadfoot driver)
Allie: Gosh, I'm running really hot over all the work I have to do! And my master is still asking for more! One of these days, I'm going to throw a rod and die a horrible death! Help me!
Jean: Ha ha ha! No break anytime soon. I'm already late to work and I need to go faster up those hills.
Allie: Oh my, I think I'm going to blow up!

(Enter Mike, a Hybrid Synergy Drive transmission)
Mike: No need to panic, Allie. I'm here to help with my pair of electric motors to take up some of the load. I'll help you when the load gets really heavy, reclaim your hard work every time the brakes go on, and sometimes even let you rest while I take up all the load. But I'll need some way to coordinate our efforts.

(With a flash, Andrew, an embedded microcomputer, appears out of nowhere.)
Andrew: Hi! I'm the HV ECU. I shall coordinate all the intimate action that goes on between you two. Mike, increase boost to 80A, and Allie, throttle down to 50%.
Allie: Thanks! Now I can change my valve timing to Atkinson and stay a lot cooler.

(The heavy acceleration request subsides.)
Andrew: Allie, throttle down to 33%. Mike, regen at 10A.
Allie: Now I'm having a very easy time.
Mike: And I get to recharge my batteries for next time.

(The acceleration request subsides completely.)
Andrew: Mike, continue regen. Allie, you can take a break.
Allie: I finally get a break from all that hard work.

(The brakes come on as the traffic light turns red.)
Andrew: Mike, quickly increase regen to 80A. Allie, you can sleep now.
Mike: That regen feels really good. Nothing like a quick charge.

(After a while, another acceleration request appears as the light turns green.)
Andrew: Mike, start boost at 35A to use up the stored charge. Allie will stay asleep for now.
Mike: I'm sure Allie is liking it.

(Now a downhill stretch appears and the speed increases to 40MPH)
Mike: My MG1 is about to redline. What should I do?
Andrew: It's time to warp stealth. Allie, wake up but all you need to do is watch. Mike, regen at 20A and let gravity do the work.
Allie: I like how Mike is turning my shaft at 950RPM. I don't have to do anything but enjoy the experience.

(The downhill steepens.)
Andrew: The batteries are about to fill up. Time for B mode. Mike, stop regen and spin Allie faster to use up the energy.
Allie: Cool! 2500RPMs without having to do any work!

And there you have it: "Two electric motors and a gasoline engine, forever enmeshed in a deadly struggle for power, each seeking to gain the most while using the fewest precious resources -- their delicate dance constantly choreographed by a consortium of cold, calculating computers -- which in turn are mere slaves to a stream of arbitrary, capricious, and often downright stupid instructions from the loose nut behind the wheel." - Hobbit's techie-rants

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread