Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Depending on the vehicle type, there is tire size sweet-spot for safety, traction, mileage efficiency and...fashion.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Just got off the phone with Bridgestone- the 155/19 tires are "in production" for concept cars in Europe. They said it would be a while, if ever, that we or even European consumers can get our sweaty mitts on 'em.
Psssh... figures. Not even sure why they bother doing a press release if nobody in the "real world" can buy them... well, I suppose I know why, but it doesn't help them IMHO...
Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Thanks for checking on this, Frank.

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Bridgestone- the 155/19 tires are "in production" for concept cars in Europe. They said it would be a while, if ever, that we or even European consumers can get our sweaty mitts on 'em.
I hope they reconsider! I would love to use these on CarBEN EV5, and I think that Edison2 would also be interested in using them on their Very Light Car.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
If the VW 1XL gets sold here we can get those Michelins.

As it is, I wonder how the old 155R15 tires as available for classic Beetles and 2CVs fare for r.r.?

Last edited by Frank Lee; 08-28-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thumbs down yep been there lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
FWIW, be careful about buying tires from Walmart. They have tires made especially for them in at least some cases. As a couple of examples that I checked into {not second party info that I'm repeating}. Walmart sold the BF Goodrich Excentia GT RWL tire in 185/60R14 that I considered for the Miata I used to own. Wanting to know more about the tire before buying it, I went to the BF Goodrich website to look at the specs. Nothing at all on the Excentia, so I e-mailed BF Goodrich via their contact link on the website. They told me that it was specially made for Walmart and if I was interested in any specs, contact Walmart. Same basic story for Goodyear and the Viva 2 radial Walmart sells as a fuel economy tire. Goodyear disowns the Viva 2 as a Walmart special. Both of these are store-stock tires.

OTOH, when I went to buy tires for the Rio I had, I saw a Continental tire available for Walmart online purchase that were listed on Continentals website. It was not a store-stock tire, but could be shipped free to the store. I bought a set of those tires but in both previous cases passed on the Walmart specials. My logic is, if the manufacturer is ashamed of them, I don't want them either.

Mark
Wally world sold me 2 tires as emergency trip failures happened I bought cheapo douglass tires so as to get road hazzard also within my cant afford to spend all this darned money extra on vacation Budget.
The rooring nails convinced me I wanted the extra ins even without extra cash to spend. type Douglass xtra trak??? Then had to remove and install them in parking lot myself because I broke off one lug nut.
purchased 2 more matching 2 weeks later because the 2 best were the ones shredded on trip anyhow.
I began playing with front and rear pressures up to 55psi down to 28 for best effect mpg. bands broke in 2 and another got blister on sidewall.
Took them back only recieved partial credit as they said It was from hitting curbs or such and that wasnt quite a road hazzard. but did offer 50% of value added to a set of viva 2and carry over of the warenty I already paid for to them. needless to say I ended up with 2 miss matched sets with a questionable warrenty for about $580.00
I coulda had what I wanted first time for that money.

On side note viva 2 dont seem very eco tred designed but thier medium compound and run well at 42 psi not impressed but thier ok Im not complaining about them.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Hello all
I have not posted in this forum long long time.However have follow some of the regular and impressive posters.
I have the following question ,concern , issue, etc

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius (Gen 2) OEM tire size is 185/65R15
so I have 15 inch alum oem rims.
I have witness others go with michelin energy X, brigdestone ecopia LRR tires and kept the oem tire size rating and above 44 psi inflation with minor mpg gains of 1-2 at best. The issue question is would a "skinny" tire make any improvement.
Specifically would a tire size of 175/65R15 make any postive mpg improvement
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
Depending on the vehicle type, there is tire size sweet-spot for safety, traction, mileage efficiency and...fashion.
Fashion is quite a subjective concept. But the other factors are really a critical point regarding a good balance between overall safety and efficiency. Well, with improvements in brakes and suspensions, I wouldn't be so afraid to try narrow tyres...
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
Hello all
I have not posted in this forum long long time.However have follow some of the regular and impressive posters.
I have the following question ,concern , issue, etc

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius (Gen 2) OEM tire size is 185/65R15
so I have 15 inch alum oem rims.
I have witness others go with michelin energy X, brigdestone ecopia LRR tires and kept the oem tire size rating and above 44 psi inflation with minor mpg gains of 1-2 at best. The issue question is would a "skinny" tire make any improvement.
Specifically would a tire size of 175/65R15 make any postive mpg improvement
You have to be really careful here. "Skinny" can mean different things.

If you start with a 185/65R15 and go to a 175/65R15 (which is your question), you are not only getting a smaller diameter, you are also getting a lower load carrying capacity, which has safety implications (that is, a more intense loading is directionally towards more frequent tire failures.)

PLUS, that is the wrong direction for RR. Tires don't like being more intensely loaded and one of the ways they exhibit that is in the amount energy they consume - ie, Rolling Resistance.

But "skinny" could also mean "narrower, but taller" - like going from 185/65R15 to 175/70R15. The problem here is that load carrying capacity plays more of a role in RR than width.

If you want to improve RR by changing tire size, get the largest tire that will fit under the fenders - without rubbing, of course. There is a couple of percentage points to be gained here.

But the best way to improve RR is by careful selection of the tire. There can be up to a 60% difference in rolling resistance between tires. But that difference is tied up with treadwear and traction and gains in RR are offset by losses in treadwear and traction. You have to find a compromise that works for you.

And be careful: The term "LRR" is NOT an absolute one. It means "compared to other tires with similar treadwear and traction, this tire has a lower RR". It's a relative term.

Here's what I am basing my statements on:

Barry's Tire Tech

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Cd (08-29-2013), niky (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
Quote:
If the VW 1XL gets sold here we can get those Michelins.

As it is, I wonder how the old 155R15 tires as available for classic Beetles and 2CVs fare for r.r.?
2CVs have 125R15 tires and they have terrible rolling resistance. I had 145R14 tires of similar construction on my car for tests and the rolling resistance was very bad. The tires were nearly hot after a trip (sign of much deformation) wereas my LRR tires were slightly above ambient temp. Manufacturers don't put much effort into RR for these tires because fuel efficiency is not that much of a concern on older cars. The criterion is to keep the old tread design, not favorable for LRR.
The Following User Says Thank You to HypermilerAX For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
term "LRR" is NOT an absolute one.

Barry's Tire Tech
I am aware of corporate marketing and LRR
The major tire brands likely have a LRR (may cost more)
Firestone
Bridgestone
Continential
Goodyear
Michelin
Yokohama (orange oil)
etc

Reply  Post New Thread