Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
radioranger

Sad thing is in better times these guys would be inventing stuff, or trying to, think Doc brown ! most of these guys or I should say a few of them are genuine experts on some things, they are very focused, hard to do, some of course are a bit off, then they become ECOMODDERS, !!!! ( insert DR EVil laugh !!)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
If you split hairs enough anything is technically possible.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is actually a real concept. Water under high current and voltage will vaporize and expand violently into steam. The expansion is where the motive energy comes from, not compression. I can't recall if the application was automotive or for a gun. I think the guy didn't fully understand the concept or just didn't express it well. Either way, i don't think his car actually ran using it. I'll try to find a link.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
This is actually a real concept. Water under high current and voltage will vaporize and expand violently into steam. The expansion is where the motive energy comes from, not compression.
Sure. That's what happens when a tree gets hit by lightning, for instance. But the problem with using it as a source of motive power is that it's inherently less efficient - basic thermodynamics - than using the same amount of electricity to turn an electric motor.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can't find a link through all the garbage on the internet.

I think it was a concept for a Navy gun. Using water as a replacement for carrying ammunition with its gun powder. As an alternative to a Railgun, or other EM weapons that the Navy is very fond of. The electricity used to create the expansion from water was equal or comparable to the expansion of gunpowder??? Expansion due to high current has much different properties than steam generated from heat. And both are probably unsuitable for cars because they aren't energy efficient.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I wouldnt worry about the link. The stuff you read in pop science or pop mechanics is just chewing gum for the brain. Its the furthest from reality as you can get.

Ive been impressed lately with the videos on you tube of the stnley steamer and the trains that run of coal and water.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
This is actually a real concept. Water under high current and voltage will vaporize and expand violently into steam. The expansion is where the motive energy comes from, not compression. I can't recall if the application was automotive or for a gun. I think the guy didn't fully understand the concept or just didn't express it well. Either way, i don't think his car actually ran using it. I'll try to find a link.
...however, I'd venture that they put IN a lot more ELECTRICAL POWER (kW) than they got OUT in "useful" MECHANICAL POWER, ie: Efficiency (%) is P(out)/P(in)

1 HP = 0.745699872 kW or basically 746 W.

Reply  Post New Thread