Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

clunkergem - '95 Honda Civic VX
new vx exhaust manifold?

My 95 VX has a big, ugly 2inch crack in the manifold where the O2 sensor is, which I understand is not uncommon. I would like to replace the manifold and have a few questions before I get a part.

1. Does it make sense to get another original manifold? This one is inexpensive...
92-95 Civic VX Y#02 OEM Exhaust Manifold & O2 Sensor | eBay
But won't it just crack again if the original did??

2. Is there a better manifold for FE that I can get that is CA legal?

3. Are there any hidden tricks to changing a manifold? It looks pretty straightforward.

and props to the VX... with car fully loaded and this huge crack, and no physical mods and 175 tires it STILL got 42 on the highway. Lovin it!!!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I recently replaced that part on my 96 DX. I went with aftermarket for fear of a repeat offense. It's hard (impossible?) to find aftermarket parts that are CARB certified. You may have to get a salvage piece like this one. As far as I can tell from the pictures it had no crack. That's good for a while at least.

Does yours detach between the manifold and cat? Mine was one piece mani/cat down to the turn that goes under the engine.

Is your O2 sensor a 4 or 5 wire? I think it's 4, being a California model.

There's not much tricky about it, just use penetrating oil overnight and be careful with the bolts and especially the O2 sensor.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

very common when you go to loosen the bolts up they break off. Not much you can do other then have a bad attitude and break them off.

there is a hidden bolt under the car by the engine which has to come off - you need to jack the car up to get to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmiller100 For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXinOAKTOWN View Post
My 95 VX has a big, ugly 2inch crack in the manifold where the O2 sensor is, which I understand is not uncommon. I would like to replace the manifold and have a few questions before I get a part.

1. Does it make sense to get another original manifold? This one is inexpensive...
92-95 Civic VX Y#02 OEM Exhaust Manifold & O2 Sensor | eBay
But won't it just crack again if the original did??

2. Is there a better manifold for FE that I can get that is CA legal?

3. Are there any hidden tricks to changing a manifold? It looks pretty straightforward.

and props to the VX... with car fully loaded and this huge crack, and no physical mods and 175 tires it STILL got 42 on the highway. Lovin it!!!!
Double check that that manifold is the same as on your car because the manifold in the ebay pic does not look like a factory vx manifold to me. Just saying
The Following User Says Thank You to turbothrush For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX

This is what the correct VX part should look like, what is being sold there on Ebay is a part from Japan, US sold VX's were made in Canada.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aftermarket manifolds that are CARB-legal should not be that rare. I know that DC made headers for D-series engines that were CARB legal on early-90s Civics; I assume someone makes ones that are legal for the VX.

Don't expect any better MPG with a header. They are pretty much all set up to improve flow at high loads and high RPMs, not low RPMs and moderate throttle settings where you drive for MPG. It is possible you will lose a little, but likely that any change will be too small to reliably notice. It is also possible that it will improve things; you will have to test yourself to tell the effect in your particular case.

Any good way to weld up the original part? A good exhaust shop would be able to tell you if it can be done reliably.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It can be repaired.. They have to be welded with Nickel.. Will cost around $60 or so.. If you just wanna go with another manifold I think a decent junkyard gem will suffice.. There is nothing better than factory equipment IMO. Plus if you can find the right people who recycle the catalytic converters, those things are worth a bit of money..
The Following User Says Thank You to 02ws6 For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Buying aftermarket will not work in your car because no one makes an aftermarket manifold for it. On your car the cat is part of the manifold so if you replace it with aftermarket you will not have a cat, which is illegal. You need to find a used part, weld the crack (they have been known to crack again after welding) or buy a new OEM manifold from Honda. Its $216 plus shipping from the link below. You need part number 3.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NIFOLD+%281%29

If you are worried about buying a new manifold just so it might crack again you have another option. I did this when my HX manifold cracked. I bought a civic EX manifold (regular style with downpipe, no cat) and bought a direct fit cat from Magnaflow for the civic EX. The manifold bolts right up to the existing exhaust but you dont have a cat, so I needed to take it to a shop and have them cut my midpipe to fit the cat in. Essentially I converted my exhaust to a regular civic exhaust with header, downpipe, cat, then midpipe. I had to extend my o2 sensor wires as well. This cost me about $200 but it will cost you more because the direct fit cat for CA cars is $150 more than mine cost.

Last edited by cbaber; 04-12-2012 at 08:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
It is not legal to move or remove the converter. Those DC sports headers were only legal on cars that originally had the converter under the car not the VX with the converter in front of the engine.
It is also not legal to sell used converters for use on a car. Not that you can't find them, I have installed a used converer before. In fact that is probably your best option. When I bought mine the first one was cracked and one call got me a free replacement.

Tip for removal: if there is much rust on the studs that hold the manafold to the head try a die to chase the threads before you try to loosen the nuts.
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterpower For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
it is illegal ....in ca to remove or alter the cat.
There are two tests
1. the actual emission test for output
2. a visual ispection based on the year and model of the vehicle

I had a 66 mustang 6 cylinder with a new 200 ci engine. the car had a CA serial number so required an air pump on the intake manifold. the new engine didnt have so I failed the smog test. btw, the emmsions were 10% of the allowable. didnt matter. failed the visual.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
The Following User Says Thank You to mcrews For This Useful Post:
VXinOAKTOWN (04-12-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread