Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

M4TDIWGN - '02 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon TDI GLS
TDI Guy from Ft Knox, KY!

Hey everyone, I drive a 2002 VW Jetta Wagon TDI, 5spd, currently has 68k miles. I just got back from deployment and for some unknown reason I have been hit with this severe bug to tinker and add upgrades to my car.

Since I've returned a few weeks ago I have tinted the windows, installed a dieselgeek skid plate and threw on new (used) 16" wolfsburg wheels and new tires.

Now it's time to get the econo mods started. Right now I'm averaging approximately 43 mpg but would really like to get that up over 50 this year. I have several mods planned for this year, the first one being a Scanguage II. From what I have seen and read they are a worthy investment?

Also, trying to figure out what would be the next few most important upgrades...I have a few ideas but not 100% sure. ha

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Welcome back from Crapcanistan!

68K is low miles. 43mpg? is it automatic? I'm at 323K with my 98 getting 48~49 on my daily commute. Unless you have a lot of stop and go check over the basic tune up stuff first. Freds TDI club will have the info.. and lots of info you don't need.. I mean LOTS. Usual items to check with only getting low 40's if not an auto, soot in intake from EGR, VNT sticking, timing not being spot on. At 10 years old has it had a T-belt changed yet? MAF and small intake leaks can also cause problems and not give a code.

Sorry, can't help on the scanguage. I've wondered about them for my 98 Jetta and how accurate they are with the rotary diesel pump that has no actual measure of fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to TedV For This Useful Post:
M4-TDIWGN (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

M4TDIWGN - '02 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon TDI GLS
The car is actually in good condition tuneup wise and has the t-belt change, oil changes etc. It is a 5spd. These figures are strictly based on what Fuelly.com has given me over the last 18k miles. Freeway average speeds 75-80 mph and in town driving not real aggressive nor conservative. That's why I want to get the gauge to see where I can improve. I am also a member at Fred's. I figured I would stop on over here and see how the non-diesel world looks. ha

Anyway thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedV View Post
Welcome back from Crapcanistan!

68K is low miles. 43mpg? is it automatic? I'm at 323K with my 98 getting 48~49 on my daily commute. Unless you have a lot of stop and go check over the basic tune up stuff first. Freds TDI club will have the info.. and lots of info you don't need.. I mean LOTS. Usual items to check with only getting low 40's if not an auto, soot in intake from EGR, VNT sticking, timing not being spot on. At 10 years old has it had a T-belt changed yet? MAF and small intake leaks can also cause problems and not give a code.

Sorry, can't help on the scanguage. I've wondered about them for my 98 Jetta and how accurate they are with the rotary diesel pump that has no actual measure of fuel
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
The scanguage is worthwhile... that difference in mileage could be due to nut behind the wheel adjustments, like any of the mechanical issues TedV mentioned.

Even if you (plan to) drive a lot, it'll take a few months to a year or so to pay off the difference in cost between 43 and 50mpg. So, it's a longer term payoff.

I know in my case, my SG-II helped me fix bad habits that were eating more fuel, when the price of fuel was climing and climbing in 2008. That, and I discovered that my TDI was overstating it's speed by about 10%.

The downside, which you'll find out reading here on Ecomodder, or on TDIclub, is calibration of the SG-II isn't exact. If you vary your mix of highway vs. city driving from tank to tank, it's going to wobble above and below, as you try to correct for your current fill-up results.

That caveat aside, I found that the SG-II both teaches you the better ways to drive more efficiently... and you'll discover that some of the more aggressive ways to drive (at least until reaching a cruise speed), can be MORE efficient than a slower, more conservative approach, with a TDI.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Veee-Wdbbb - '02 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon TDI
90 day: 54.91 mpg (US)
I have a 2002 VW Jetta Wagon TDI, 5spd, as well and have done some tinkering on it....see my car profile for list of items.

I believe the Scan Gauge is great for also showing you what the true water temperature is of the coolant verses the VW stock temp gauge that is ALWAYS wrong. With the Scan Gauge accurate reading and also with adding removeable air blocking on the front grill of the car...you can definitely get better fuel economy and aerodynamics.

The hotter the engine runs...the more efficient fuel is burned. So far I have pushed my temp to 215 deg F (on mnt hill climb) and average around 190 normally. I live in a cold place, especially in winter, but wouldn't want to get above 240 deg F if you can help it (thus the removeable air blocking panels that keep air from going into the radiator/engine area).

Got my Scan Gauge new on eBay for $115 including shipping. Definitely worth it...

Another thing slowing you down is your 16" wheels as they make you higher off the ground (aka worse aerodynamics), more overall tire & rim weight...but this might be an additional 1-2mpg...?

Lastly, thanks for serving our country in Afghanistan and enjoy driving your low mileage VW around (I'm jealous) !

Last edited by benjamn; 01-19-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread