Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Swapping a DSG would be difficult, and it looks to me that the DSGs are getting significantly less economy than the 6 speeds too (but the gap is narrower than the slushboxes). I post on the mileage logs in tdiclub and all the autos get worse mileage than manuals.

If you have a specific highway speed that you drive, you can optimize your economy with a 5th gear swap, it sounds quite easy and there are a few ratios from which to choose. But if you want to go fast, you might have to get a chip tune so you can make enough power at the lower rpm of the 5th gear ratio.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
yea, i guess the 5th gear manual swap would be cost effective and most appropriate for improving mileage.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
I know it's off topic but on topic. Your transmission has 4 range changes with a lockup convertor, so theoretically 5 speeds. The thought is if your engine got something like a tow / economy tune up, boosting the bottom end torque and modifying the shift points and torque convertor lockup to match the power curve, it'll perform better than swapping a transmission, and be a far sight cheaper and less complicated.

EDIT- Looks like someone beat me to the punch on the chip tune.

Look up Illinois Dyno Center as one possibility and the TDIClub has plenty of knowlege about what works and doesn't.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
The Following User Says Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Alot of the newer manual transmissions tend to be geared for performance driving, instead of better gas mileage now, so the mpg gap is closing with newer and newer cars.
That might be so, but not in this particular case of the TDI engined Volkswagens. The gasser manual transmissions you find in the GTI or VR6 equipped models are in that performance bent. The TDI 5/6 speeds are geared differently for the diesels, and, in general, they're more economy minded ratios.

Keep in mind, dieselbeetle -- irregardless of the 4 spd auto, or 5 (or not easily found in N. America 6 ) spd. manual transmissions for the TDIs are geared differently than any gasoline engined model. This means you have to get a tranny, if you're swapping, from another 1.9L diesel, or the gear ratios will make it undrivable.

If you dig around on places like TDIclub, you'll find people are quoting nearer the $1500-2000 mark for a 6 speed to be brought in from Europe. There's quite a bit of plumbing to change too, if you went from an auto to a manual.

Are you trying to see if you should justify the cost of a swap in your current car, or are you thinking about hunting for a manual transmissioned TDI Beetle instead of your current auto?

I haven't driven an auto model, but the only argument I can say is non technical: Driving the 5 speed manual is more FUN than an auto.
SwamiSalami (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Traditional automatics have to be shifted and controlled by power coming from the engine via hydraulic clutches. They use a fair amount of power to get the job done.

I understand that some of the new dual clutch autoshifting manual transmissions have made a lot of improvements. No experience however.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
beetle, new beetle tdi, tdi, tdi transmission