Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Bob Lazar
HAHAHAHA the crazy UFO nutjob. Yeah, I'll get my energy from him

LOL

Last edited by tjts1; 05-13-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

http://ecomodder.com/forum/newreply....reply&p=307054

What are you talking about? I never quoted Bob Lazar.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Fixed it.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
USA is down to 40% electricity from coal, on average. Natural gas is up and wind is up, and a bit more solar, too. Even at 100% coal, an EV beats ICE cars up to about 80MPG.

If you drive an EV, then put solar panels on your roof -- several companies will do this for $0 down; and you pay about half of what you do now for the electricity. Charge the EV at night and pay the off-peak price.

The average Volt drives over 1,000 miles on an ~8 gallon tank of gas. Sounds pretty good to me. A little over 700 miles of that are on electricity, and at worst it gets ~93MPGe in electric mode. If the Volt seated four tall adults, it would be better. If it had a purpose-made ICE and ran in true serial hybrid mode, it could rival a Prius in charging mode.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
From what I have read about "Grid Parity" Grid parity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soon it will be as cheap or cheaper to use solar PV rather than pay for coal/nuke/natural gas electricity from Warren Buffet like power companies...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
They are making algae which produce H2 as a byproduct of photosynthesis instead of the natural plant hydrocarbon sugars... currently not any where near cost effective ... but it will be closer than the current gap... even if it still will not close the gap.
According to a recent episode of Fully Charged, biohydrogen reactors are still in the infant stages of development - in university labs and such. It's a pretty cool idea, but it can probably be put in the same category as "the super capacitor that will soon save the day for the EV world."
Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
According to a recent episode of Fully Charged, biohydrogen reactors are still in the infant stages of development - in university labs and such. It's a pretty cool idea, but it can probably be put in the same category as "the super capacitor that will soon save the day for the EV world."
Agreed.

Unlike the Super Capacitor to save the EV ... it isn't that they can't do it today ... it just isn't cost effective today.

I expect it will be many decades away ~30 or more.

The point I was making was that the 6:1 ratio of today you were looking at might becoming a narrower margin in the future ... and although the margin will be narrower ... Hydrogen will still be less energy efficient from source to load ... however the algae approach does have a large production benefit over the alternative due to the use of self replication ... which might in the future make it more attractive , even if it is less energy efficient from source to load... even if that will not be for a long time.

Last I read ... today producing Hydrogen costs at best about ~$14 / kg ... and the DOE says they have to get under ~$2.60 / kg to be viable for transportation ... that's a rather large gap ... just to reach viable compared to gasoline.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
The point I was making was that the 6:1 ratio of today you were looking at might becoming a narrower margin in the future ... and although the margin will be narrower ... Hydrogen will still be less energy efficient from source to load ...
The real problem, though, is not the (in)efficiency of generating hydrogen, or the problems with fuel cells. It's that hydrogen is difficult to store and transport. You have to compress and/or liquefy it, which takes lots of energy plus heavy pressure vessels and/or vacuum-insulated containers - and even then, it leaks a lot. Then it's light, which means that hauling a useful quantity to a filling station takes IIRC something like 9 times as many truck trips...

I'm sorry (and I apologize for the unavoidable intrusion of politics), but the so-called "hydrogen economy" was never anything more than a Bush administration scam, misdirection to get people believing there'd be pie in the sky, bye and bye, instead of going to work on real energy & environmental problems.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I guess it will be kind of difficult to figure out what went wrong when 2 billion dollars went up in smoke.
The plane got wet ... seriously.

Moisture in the AoA sensors caused the far too steep initial pitch up.

Andersen Air Force Base B-2 accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The real problem, though, is not the (in)efficiency of generating hydrogen, or the problems with fuel cells. It's that hydrogen is difficult to store and transport.
I agree , that storage and transportation is a major barrier to hydrogen vehicles... a barrier that I don't see going away any time soon.

Pressurizing or liquifying it are common methods of trying to deal with the storage and transportation issues ... but they are not the only way ... there are other options for hydrogen as well ... even if ( for my 2 bits ) none of them really result in much better results in the end.

Comparatively I think the efficiency and cost effectiveness of transporting and storing electricity is very difficult to compete with ... everything has losses ... and costs ... but some things just have more losses and or cost more to do the same output of work.

Hydrogen vehicles are currently one of those less efficient and more costly things... and AFAIK look to be staying that way for many decades yet to come.

Reply  Post New Thread