Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
wow, the go one cubed is great, i would love to make a body like that for the trike i am making

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry I'm late to this post

First let me say to everyone that rides to work (or errands, or anywhere else instead of driving)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
9. .6% The motorist lost control of the car and struck the bicyclist.
So it looks like I'm a 0.6%er,

I've been lurking here for quite a while and thanks to everyone, I've learned a lot!

The time I spent commuting by bicycle (and accurately measured and recorded) was from 1 Jan '06 - 1 March '07. During that time, I was able to avoid driving over 4,200 miles! I rode as long as it wasn't actively snowing or icy, no freezing rain, and the temp was above 0f, so it can be done. Before that time I commuted as much as I could but didn't keep an accurate log.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a ToPeak MTX DX bag (with expandable panniers) and rack combo that I would love to have someone put back into use (it managed to survive the wreck with no damage at all). Let me know by PM and we can work out the price.

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volones View Post
First let me say to everyone that rides to work (or errands, or anywhere else instead of driving)!

I've been lurking here for quite a while and thanks to everyone, I've learned a lot!

The time I spent commuting by bicycle (and accurately measured and recorded) was from 1 Jan '06 - 1 March '07. During that time, I was able to avoid driving over 4,200 miles! I rode as long as it wasn't actively snowing or icy, no freezing rain, and the temp was above 0f, so it can be done. Before that time I commuted as much as I could but didn't keep an accurate log.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I have a ToPeak MTX DX bag (with expandable panniers) and rack combo that I would love to have someone put back into use (it managed to survive the wreck with no damage at all). Let me know by PM and we can work out the price.

Volones welcome to the site. Looks like you have a great platform to turn in some great numbers. If you get a chance, so we don't get this thread to off topic, post a intro post on the introduction forum. Do you live in the high country of CO?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

welcome to the board volones, happy that you could chime in and give us a great example of how much bicycling can help you save
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
With odds that high - there must be some luck... or something...

Whenever I magically get a bowling ball in between some pins in a way that seems impossible - I find myself lucky

By the way - nice car
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Welcome to the site. Are you alright?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Volones welcome to the site. Looks like you have a great platform to turn in some great numbers. If you get a chance, so we don't get this thread to off topic, post a intro post on the introduction forum. Do you live in the high country of CO?
So to bring this thread back to topic...I started cycling to work as a way to lose weight, and maintain myself at a healthy weight. So #4 was my main reason. I did find that #1 and #2 were very nice side benefits though.

I'll answer everyones questions in my intro.

Vol

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*
Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
Here is some more reasons.

13. You can get away with braking rules of the road to a certain degree. I know the vehicular cycling advocates my kill me for this... Since you can see much more then being and a car and take up a lot less spaces some laws can be safely broken (like no turn on red signs).

14. Passing a line of cars in a traffic jam at rush hour. Going faster then a car always makes me smile.

15. Ability to ride on side streets without slowing you up much. Unlike a car you can have a much more enjoyable ride and still go just as fast (possibly faster) by riding on side streets off the beaten path.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

^i agree, as long as we are safety conscious, and remember to watch whats going on around us we can save lots of time and enjoy our commutes more than if we are locked inside of the steel cage
Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by igo View Post
Here is some more reasons.

13. You can get away with braking rules of the road to a certain degree. I know the vehicular cycling advocates my kill me for this... Since you can see much more then being and a car and take up a lot less spaces some laws can be safely broken (like no turn on red signs).

14. Passing a line of cars in a traffic jam at rush hour. Going faster then a car always makes me smile.
I would say just pick your roads where you pass a line of cars on the right, if the lanes are tight and you are holding up people after you passed them all then it won't be a surprise when someone does something dumb to you... You are basically asking for it.

There are courses too on riding in traffic safely, I recommend them. After you get a good idea what your doing and anticipation of what others will do, biking is good fun!

Also if you have a mtb try a set of slick tires, they work super well and you'll be amazed at how much speed you can carry in the corners. Depending on your mtb tires you can gain 3 or 4 km/h or more for a ride average.
Ian

Reply  Post New Thread