Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Ethanol from air?
Newsletter? Subscribe?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=switchgras...iofuels&ia=web
Quote:
Switchgrass may unlock the future of biofuel - Phys.org
https://phys.org/news/2017-03-switch...e-biofuel.html
Switchgrass is an attractive biofuel feedstock because it can grow on marginal lands of little agricultural value. It also requires less chemical fertilizer than corn, the dominant source of ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong
Our tap water, here at sea level, comes from mountains as tall 7000 feet. Forty hears ago, they started filtering to rid it of excess natural asbestos. Pretty good, except they put too much floride in it. The best tasting water I ever had was on Mt. Hood, Oregon.
On Baker Creek Road out of McMinneville, OR there used to be an artesian well that the owners just piped the overflow to the roadside ditch so anyone could come by and catch it. Best ever, new owners cut it off.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-27-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Switchgrass ethanol in my view is like nuclear fusion and flying cars... it's coming... in 30 years?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
On Baker Creek Road out of McMinneville, OR there used to be an artesian well that the owners just piped the overflow to the roadside ditch so anyone could come by and catch it. Best ever, new owners cut it off.
When I was a kid, just outside the town-limits, was a small stream, that had a trough supported by stakes, causing a waterfall next to the road, to drink. Removed 5 decades ago? In S.Everett, there is a strong spring water source where people line up to fill their 5 or 10 gallon water jugs, presently.
Websites tell where to find spring water sources around the country & other places.

Last edited by litesong; 09-27-2019 at 05:51 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to litesong For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-27-2019), Xist (09-28-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Thanks for not making fun of my name!

Roll yer own:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=viktor+schauberger+mountain+spring+water

edit:
If yur lurking from outside the Willamette Valley (with it's glistening fields of hemp), don't come here, you wouldn't like it.

I'm tired of waiting for memegenerator to load, just go here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=so+your%27re+saying+you+flush+drinking+water&ia x=images

Last edited by freebeard; 09-27-2019 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Weird. Many bottled water companies have glacier in the name. I did a quick Google search and just read that you should read cloudy glacier water.
Yes, the heavy glacial ice grinds on sloped mountain rocks, putting small, (suspended?) rock particles of any uncontrolled elements & compounds in glacial waters. As stated, that pool of beautiful, crystal clear & cold water was too tempting, on my hot ascending mountain hike, not to take a few sips. Bet that pool was used by any animals in the region, too.
One bit of advice, if you do drink from a stream. Afterwards, don't go upstream. Once, I drank from a stream AND then explored above the creek. Within 50 yards of the place I drank, I came across a dead deer..... plunk on the side of the stream. i never got sick, but I sure felt sick, thinking about that dead deer. There is a cowboy song about the same subject....maybe more than one.

Last edited by litesong; 09-27-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #66 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Sugar cane ethanol it's way more efficient way to produce ethanol. Corn ethanol produces a X value of ethanol energy, but about 80% or more of energy it's used in the production itself, calculating in energetic ways.
It's more than just a matter of energy balance, because the corn won't yield exclusively ethanol. Corn also yields oil, useful both for cooking and as a feedstock for biodiesel, and the distillation grain leftover from corn ethanol brewing has a high concentration of proteins per weight and is cheaper than soy protein. Weight gain on beef cattle fed with distillation grain is higher than for cattle fed with raw corn, and also leads to lower methane emissions originated by the cattle' burps and farts (it sounds quite dumb, but that's one of the subjects of complaint of the veganazis regarding the environmental impact of the meat industry).
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-28-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

Uhnnn... Unless USA have a secrete technology to much higher & easier corn production compared to Brazil, sugar cane it's more effective, otherwise Brazil would use corn, since Brazil also have a very high cattle and vegetable oil production for exportation.

USA, few years ago, was interested on Brazil's sugar cane ethanol production.

I wonder how many cars could they move if was possible to collect methane from cows.

One key points of genetic engeneering, for Global energy and fuel, it's about the possibility of develope a genetic modify yeast, able to fast breakdown cellulose. If they managed it, everything from corn, even the cob and atraw, could be turned into ethanol. Even old wood and dry grass removed lawn mover.

By the way, just for brazilians : Joćo Doria would try to feed the poor using corn destilation leftover, if Brazil had a corn ethanol program.
I wonder how a process like liofilization, that in most cases make the food a lot more expansive, since the process it's more expensive than the food itself, could be used to make free food (close to expire and donated) economically worth to help the poors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's more than just a matter of energy balance, because the corn won't yield exclusively ethanol. Corn also yields oil, useful both for cooking and as a feedstock for biodiesel, and the distillation grain leftover from corn ethanol brewing has a high concentration of proteins per weight and is cheaper than soy protein. Weight gain on beef cattle fed with distillation grain is higher than for cattle fed with raw corn, and also leads to lower methane emissions originated by the cattle' burps and farts (it sounds quite dumb, but that's one of the subjects of complaint of the veganazis regarding the environmental impact of the meat industry).

Last edited by All Darc; 09-29-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #68 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I expect we'll be able to fairly precisely modify genetic code and learn what manipulates which attributes in the near future (25 years). That said, I would think nature would have already figured out how to efficiently break down nutrient poor stuff like wood and switchgrass, so I don't have much hope we'll come up with a better organism to do it.

US should eliminate most every subsidy so the true cost of things are reflected in the price. Then if we need to slow the consumption of certain things, tax accordingly.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #69 (permalink)
Banned

Do you expect nature to in just 25 yers make what wasn't acchieved by nature itself in 25 million years ????

Come on.. Genetic engeneering it's million times faster than nature in terms of creation of new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I expect we'll be able to fairly precisely modify genetic code and learn what manipulates which attributes in the near future (25 years). That said, I would think nature would have already figured out how to efficiently break down nutrient poor stuff like wood and switchgrass, so I don't have much hope we'll come up with a better organism to do it.

US should eliminate most every subsidy so the true cost of things are reflected in the price. Then if we need to slow the consumption of certain things, tax accordingly.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #70 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Maybe we'll make slight improvements, but nature is good at finding efficient ways to utilize any form of energy.

I expect more in the way of developing drought tolerant crops, disease resistance, or pesticide resistance, etc.

Reply  Post New Thread