Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
DFCO in gear is gonna slow you down a lot from engine breaking, which isn't what you want for a coast.

I doubt from how it feels that my truck does it, but I have a fuel cut off on the gear shift lever, so its kind of moot for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2009, 02:41 AM   #52 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
DFCO in gear is gonna slow you down a lot from engine breaking, which isn't what you want for a coast.

I doubt from how it feels that my truck does it, but I have a fuel cut off on the gear shift lever, so its kind of moot for me.
I think the suggestion was made moreso for when you're coasting a grade... you keep it in gear, and the engine braking doesn't slow you down, it just stops you from going any faster.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The nature of a manual transmission leaves all the gears engaged on each other 100% of the time.
Sorry to dredge this up, they are all touching, yes, but if it isn't in gear and the engine isn't turning, but the car is rolling, then the gears themselves are not turning (and my clutch adjustment is fine, thank you). If you engage the outputshaft to a gear then they all start spinning, including the clutch (EOC assumed, clutch disengaged) which has a noticeable effect on my coasting distance.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post

A lot more than coasting, yes.
But a diesel will DFCO further than a gasser because the gasser has a throttle plate. This drags down the speed quickly. I've tried Pulse & DFCO in my diesel yaris and it still improved my mpg, just not as much as Pulse & Glide. That's assuming my SG is reading correctly, which i think it is, after much faffing around and telling it that my engine is a 1.2 not a 1.4........

ollie
Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
That's because when you leave it in gear, you're also spinning the clutch disc and input shaft, and your clutch is probably not adjusted properly, and thus dragging slightly on either the flywheel or the pressure plate, but not enough to cause significant trouble when shifting, or even noticeable trouble.

Even if you're not dragging your clutch, you're still wasting more of the momentum to spin the clutch disc while you're in gear.

The nature of a manual transmission leaves all the gears engaged on each other 100% of the time.
dcb -

What part of that post had anything to do with what you said?

You said that when you left the car in gear, it decelerated noticeably fast. I was agreeing with you, and explaining (for the benefit of those who don't know) that when you leave the gear selector engaged, with the clutch disengaged, that you're still spinning the entire gearbox, thus making more friction, which explains why you slow down faster in gear than out of gear.

Sorry if I offended you by assuming that your clutch (like most others) is still dragging slightly while disengaged, because unless it's purpose built, it's not 100% true, especially after being used, and will still drag slightly when disengaged... no offense was intended.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #56 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Just trying to clear it up, no sweat. Neutral works better in my car, cuz no gears AND clutch are spinning. On the bike it doesn't matter much because the clutch is between the transmission and the rear wheel. Thought there was another response from someone else but can't find it now.

OB diesel P&G, I will have to test that now, somehow. Don't know how to ABA it in the TDI, except to my own satisfaction maybe.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #57 (permalink)

Is that how all bikes are? (clutch between trans and rear wheel)

Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #58 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Sorry to dredge this up, they are all touching, yes, but if it isn't in gear and the engine isn't turning, but the car is rolling, then the gears themselves are not turning (and my clutch adjustment is fine, thank you). If you engage the outputshaft to a gear then they all start spinning, including the clutch (EOC assumed, clutch disengaged) which has a noticeable effect on my coasting distance.

This sounds like what Frank Lee talks about. Ditch some in-between gears to increase his manual tranny's "total" efficiency (i.e. reduce it's parasitic [inertial?!?!?] losses). Instead of having gears 1 through 5, maybe just the 1, 3 and 5 gears.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
dcb -
This sounds like what Frank Lee talks about. Ditch some in-between gears to increase his manual tranny's "total" efficiency (i.e. reduce it's parasitic [inertial?!?!?] losses). Instead of having gears 1 through 5, maybe just the 1, 3 and 5 gears.
CarloSW2
Makes sense.... losing weight the engine has to turn is always a LOT better that losing weight in static positions. I think losing lbs. in flywheel weight is like losing twice that of weight in the interior for example.

Did I get that right or am I just way off?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

hmm... well, a gear has no where the angular momentum of a fully inflated tire (lest my tranny self destruct while shifting), but might be something there. The extra gears in a 5 speed add a tiny bit of resistance (more bearings and teeth meshing). I guess you could ditch the selector forks and synchros and just slide the gear teeth together, like a reverse gear (with position sensors and computer help/rev match maybe).

But I don't know if it would buy much.