Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In 1970 I read about an Opel Kadett that was hypermiled with pulse and glide from 15 MPH to 45, then engine off coasting. It was in a contest in Popular Science of Popular Mechanics. The rules required an average speed of 26 MPH.

The Wagon was more aero than a sedan. They put radial tires on the car (allowed by the rules), and disconnected the vacuum operated second barrel of the carburetor). A piece of wood under the gas pedal so it would always go the ideal distance.

124 MPG.

Now if you consider the car got about 32-35 MPG at a constant 25 MPH, you can see that there is a benefit above and beyond increasing the engines efficiency.

Most IC gasoline engines average about 18% efficiency, but they can peak at 30-36% when operated at their best BSFC. Diesels also have a sweet spot but it is not as dramatic as a throttled gasoline engine, becasue the diesel never has manifold vacuum to reduce the effective in cylinder compression whe ncombustion occurs.

That being said Mercedes went from a butterfly throttle control to no butterfly in 1982. Proir to 82 they had manifold vacuum, like a gasoline engine. After 1982 the throttle control was only the injection pump.

The net gain in mileage from that change alone was 7%. I worked for a Benz dealer when the change occured in 82. They added a vacuum pump that ran off the timing chain. The throttled engines would not shut off if there was a vacuum leak in the central locking system, until you opened the hood and pushed the fuel shutoff lever on the injection pump. Not something most customers liked to mess with on a $40 k car in 1982.

Pulse and glide will improve you mileage, especially if you glide with engine off.
It takes a certain amount of HP to just spin the engine with no load.

Now a lot of diesel vehicles are underpowered compared to most passenger cars. Plenty of torque at low engine speeds but not a lot of HP for acceleration blasts.

Combine that with transmission gearing that allows lower RPM at highway speeds and the P&G window for better mileage closes considerably.

You may find it effective up to a certain speed but after than the benefits will become insignificant.

Another factor is the aerodynamics of your vehicle. Very high CDs will cost you a lot of your energy in wind resistance, expecially in a large frontal area high CD truck.

Bottom line, I would guess the P&G will probably help up to about 45 MPH. After that the aero drag will probably kill any benefit especially at peak speeds of 60 MPH and above.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesgallon.com View Post
Will advance timing affect the fuel economy?
Slightly, for the better.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Pulse and glide will improve you mileage, especially if you glide with engine off.
It takes a certain amount of HP to just spin the engine with no load.
True, but it also takes a certain HP to accelerate.

Quote:
Now a lot of diesel vehicles are underpowered compared to most passenger cars. Plenty of torque at low engine speeds but not a lot of HP for acceleration blasts.
The average new sedan has all of 50% MORE HP than my big old 2.5 ton, 3 ton capacity truck!!

Quote:
Another factor is the aerodynamics of your vehicle. Very high CDs will cost you a lot of your energy in wind resistance, especially in a large frontal area high CD truck.
Actually, the truck seems decently aerodynamic. I notice that on hills where, on my bike (EX250) in a tight tuck under the extended windshield I need to keep on the gas to maintain 50mph, in the truck I accelerate from 45 to 65 while EOC.

Quote:
Combine that with transmission gearing that allows lower RPM at highway speeds and the P&G window for better mileage closes considerably.
exactly. I want to know by how much. From all the answers I've gotten so far, still seems the window could close completely for some vehicles.

Quote:
You may find it effective up to a certain speed but after than the benefits will become insignificant.

Bottom line, I would guess the P&G will probably help up to about 45 MPH. After that the aero drag will probably kill any benefit
Well, if your guess is right, then I don't need to bother.
I never drive faster than 45mph, (except on the downhills, EOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
I learned that I can actually take my key OUT of the ignition, when moving above a certain speed, and not have the steering lock up.

I want to get two models of my car and get them to use the same key, and have both cars driven with one key, and we can just throw it out the window to the other driver when we need to accelerate...

Yeah, that's what I think about when I'm bored.

And that's without a Scangauge o.O
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #75 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulfuric View Post
I learned that I can actually take my key OUT of the ignition, when moving above a certain speed, and not have the steering lock up.

I want to get two models of my car and get them to use the same key, and have both cars driven with one key, and we can just throw it out the window to the other driver when we need to accelerate...

Yeah, that's what I think about when I'm bored.
My Father has a Ford key that only works if you put it in the right way. It's a double-cut key, and it's cut for two different vehicles. We don't own the second one anymore, so you have to put the key in the truck the correct way, or it won't turn.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #76 (permalink)
Diesel Driver

Green Opel - '98 Opel Astra
90 day: 41.96 mpg (US)
I tried the key thing a couple of days ago and I was wrong, I can turn off the engine without locking the steering wheel if I don't turn the key all the way to off. Still I could imagine it's easy to turn the key one step too far....

My memories of this is that a couple of times when parking the car I've turned off the engine (full off) before coming to a full stop and had to break when the wheel was locked (click, ooops), luckily always at very low speeds.

Quote:
My Father has a Ford key that only works if you put it in the right way. It's a double-cut key, and it's cut for two different vehicles. We don't own the second one anymore, so you have to put the key in the truck the correct way, or it won't turn.
That's cool, I have to remember that if I ever have two cars of the same brand. ...but with todays radio locks that would not be so practical....

I've done a gas mileage calculator for people that doesn't like to do math. There's also a miles to km converter and some other tools.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
in college I had a friend who had the same model car as me.
my key could open her car, but not the other way around
that was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #78 (permalink)
Diesel Driver

Green Opel - '98 Opel Astra
90 day: 41.96 mpg (US)
Car locks are not good.

I don't know how many times I have heard about someone getting into the car, then thinking that something isn't quite right, then realizing that they are sitting in someone elses car (same model and color), suddenly feeling wery guilty and getting out of that car really quick

I've done a gas mileage calculator for people that doesn't like to do math. There's also a miles to km converter and some other tools.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My 37 Ford had a steering column lock.

Didn't know there was a car in the US where you could remove the key and not lock the column.

regards
Mech
Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #80 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
'59 Bel Air, '60 VW, '66 Corvair, '68 Chev 1/2Ton... Yeah, '68!

Reply  Post New Thread