Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeFix View Post
I can't post links because of my post count, but search 'campfire generator part 4' on youtube.
Part 5 is more instructive and better instrumented. When he recirculates water to keep the peltiers cool, the system has a net output of about zero. He is using a gas burner for heat input -- maybe 800 watts or so.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeFix View Post
From what I've read, an average coolant temp seems to match with the sellers max temp for the TE devices.

Not too sure about the efficiencies of the individual units, but judging by the campfire generator video, one could expect 2 amps @ 15v from 16 units. But what I know about electronics I can write on the head of a nail.

Still it's looking like it may not would be worth it for a $100 price tag (the price of 20 units + shipping)
That sounds about right. 100 dollars for low temperature TECs that size is too much to ask by the way, the 300C ones go for about that price. 30W is hardly any power, I think typical cars use almost 300W of electrical power just for running necessary equipment such as lights, ECU, ignition.

You can supply all the car's electrical needs with like 20 300C TEGs strapped to the exhaust. In another thread (forgot which), someone gave a link to a thermoelectric device vendor that is planning a 300W unit that straps to the exhaust...and it costs 3000 dollars T_T You could probably build it yourself for a bit over 2000, since even 300C TEGs are really expensive.

AFAIK, the whole exhaust heat regeneration thing is still on hold waiting for a lightweight, compact, and respectably efficient solution. Nothing available so far meets those criteria, maybe except the BMW turbosteamer which probably costs way too much.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the seller who posted the video with the motor and propellor also sells the units individually and in pairs etc etc, he will sell 1, 2, 5, 20 or 100 at a time just visit his ebay store I posted the link in the post with the video.

2 cells are like $8 shipped, maybe $10 I forgot

Reply  Post New Thread