Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #61 (permalink)
Wanting more for less

Metric - '94 Honda Magna 250
Motorcycle
90 day: 69.83 mpg (US)

RedCelica - '94 Toyota Celica ZR
90 day: 35.97 mpg (US)

i30 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.84 mpg (US)

i30-22 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbar View Post
Reckless drivers and ecomodders do not always go with the flow. They have a secondary goal, motive, or interest that they are trying to fulfill while driving. An ecomodder in right lane going 55 with traffic constantly needing to go around him doesn't differentiate in my mind from the guy in the left lane doing 85 making people get out of his way. Both are causing inconvenience to other drivers to suit their needs. Both are interfering with the continuity of traffic flow. Both could be increasing the risk of an accident (depending on traffic).
OK, I'm Australian, maybe we do things differently.

The motorway speed limit is 110kph.
Provisional driving licence holders are limited to 90kph, indicated by a red P plate displayed on the rear.
Learner drivers are limited to 80kph, indicated by an L plate displayed on the rear.
Both are allowed to drive on the Motorway.
All vehicles are expected to keep to the left (slow lane) unless overtaking.

By driving at 95kph, I'm still faster than either a P plater or an L plater would be while driving my car in the slow lane.
If I need to overtake someone, I do it at increased speed, then change back to the slow lane, as any responsible driver should.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G. View Post

Provisional driving licence holders are limited to 90kph, indicated by a red P plate displayed on the rear.
Learner drivers are limited to 80kph, indicated by an L plate displayed on the rear.

By driving at 95kph, I'm still faster than either a P plater or an L plater would be while driving my car in the slow lane.
If I need to overtake someone, I do it at increased speed, then change back to the slow lane, as any responsible driver should.
If i understand that right, the speed limit is the same for all roads including within the cities? Over here standard country roads are 55mph (88kph), and the expressway system is between 65-70mph (different in different states). Within cities about the lowest I have seen is 25mph right dead in the heart of a larger city, 35 is more typical for my area atleast.

Everything else looks the same as the US except the slow lane is on the right since we drive on the opposite side of the road as you guys (and a lot of other places lol).
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G. View Post

That's a nice system. You could just put a L or P plate on and drive economically slow, and nobody would demand or even expect you to speed up.

You could even make a green E plate in the same style, to the same effect, and not be accountable if you speed up beyond the P limit.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Ardiuno activated "student driver" sign?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I enjoy being able to perfectly time a pullover, on 2 lane roads for faster traffic.
Soon after a stop light or stop sign, its obvious to see most people want to accelerate
faster than I do, so I always keep that in mind, and look ahead for a CLEAN uncluttered
shoulder to slide into to not create ANY traffic hiccup!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #66 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
I will drop my instantaneous speed during my commute but my average speed is equal to if not in excess of the average driver since I know how to time the lights so I don't have to stop.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #67 (permalink)
Wanting more for less

Metric - '94 Honda Magna 250
Motorcycle
90 day: 69.83 mpg (US)

RedCelica - '94 Toyota Celica ZR
90 day: 35.97 mpg (US)

i30 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.84 mpg (US)

i30-22 - '12 Hyundai i30 Elite
90 day: 39.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
If i understand that right, the speed limit is the same for all roads including within the cities?
Ha! I wish there was less variation on my commute. I go through 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and 110kph speed limits during the 52Km drive to work.

My point was that by driving "slow" at 95kph on a 110kph motorway/freeway/expressway (about 20Km of my commute), I (as a responsible hypermiler) believe I disrupt traffic flow less than other legitimate road users.

That I disrupt traffic flow less than the ratbag drivers who don't think rules apply to them and endanger others by driving irresponsibly (too slow in the fast lane, too fast in any lane, on their mobile phone, etc, etc) should go without saying.
..... and the comparison got up my nose a bit.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
Being pulled over might be a good thing actually, if the cop has any sense, either he could personally drive the person (since they have the high speed training etc), or he could lead the way for you and alert the local hospital to be prepared. If you are 100 miles away, maybe a helicopter could meet you some where and they don't have to deal with traffic and I'm pretty sure they can travel over 100mph (depends on which model I guess).
Good points.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #69 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
I studied hard for months to pass my driver's test first time I took it in Germany when we were stationed there in the 80's. It was tough! When we came back to the States I had to get on here. I was horrified at how easy it was. Even the motorcycle license I got later was easy compared to what I had overseas. I remember the complex roundabout scenarios with train tracks and pedestrian crosswalks being very demanding to navigate. We had to be good driver's to stay alive on those narrow streets and complex situations. If you made a mistake, and survived, other drivers let you know about it quickly. The incompetent and passive aggressive drivers here are a constant stressor while I try to keep my family safe. Eco driving keeps me on my toes and keeps long trips from becoming boring too. Its fun and helps me keep me calm in the mess I have to drive in most days.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #70 (permalink)
Rookie Ecomodder

zoomzoom - '06 Mazda 6i sport
My favorites (after 100's of hours of interstate driving) are:

Those who cannot keep right on the highway -in fact won't budge (move over) when being drafted by someone wanting to pass!

And the people who cannot put on their lights in the fog, rain, dusk etc. DRL's don't cut it when the whole back of the car is dark -specially on silver or gray cars. (which basically are the same color as the roadway!)

common sense is all but common...

Reply  Post New Thread