Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This morning I did a little work on the side profile I have started to figure out the cut lines such as bonnet, canopy, rear hatch etc. Still much work to do but I think you can start to see a more streamlined TIGON now

Some progress sketches from beginning to now!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiat Turbina #2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	12862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiat Turbina #2a.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	12863   Click image for larger version

Name:	TIGON#1c.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	12864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tigon Side View #4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	12866  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 04-06-2013 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Duplicate pic
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey guys,

This past week I did a lot of research and thinking about the diesel engine that I was going to be using for the TIGON.

I have concluded with a decision to change courses with a different engine for the vehicle.

The main reasons for the change are due to the engine source, spare parts availability, engine reliability, and the size factor.

The engine I was originally going to use was a V-twin .79L Chinese engine manufactured by Haige. While the engine was US Tier 4 certified and had a favorable price tag of $1,100 base price. The cost of shipping pushed it up to $1,450 USD. Still not a bad price for a new diesel engine considering you will spend $3,500 or more for a Kubota from most all dealers here in the states.

I decided before I spend the money to talk with some people here in the diesel engine and generator business to get some 3rd party perspectives on these engines and ones similar. They all quickly discounted them as basically junk and warned I would be throwing away my money.

I continued to contact people to find out if any had any personal experience with these engines or similar ones. I finally ran across a guy who has been in the business for over 25 years and has tested just about every small diesel engine genset on the planet. He had bought these engines during the Hurricane Katrina in the boat loads. He began to tell me that they all failed his tests and he ended up sending them all back and later the company went out of business. His advice was they will not hold up to heavy loads or that of a vehicle no matter what the design is. He also went on to say importing them is difficult even with the tier 4 certification as time and import fees eat into costs on single or small shipments. He warned of the spare parts issue as well like everyone else.

The only Chinese company that he recommended was Yanmar. They have a solid reputation and are sold here in the states by many dealers. Parts are easy to come by and will not break the bank compared to other similar sized diesels. They also have a pretty solid range of engines to choose from.

Based with this new found knowledge I decided to look into the Yanmar engines. After a few days I ran across a small 2 cylinder. After doing a little math I realized it would be more than adequate for my cruising speed requirements. I was able to locate brand new ones here in the states to my astonishment cheaper than if I were to have purchased the Haige 2 cylinder. The Yanmar is smaller in displacement at only .57L and puts out 13.4 HP compared to 19 HP with the Haige V-twin.

The original Urba Centurion had a 3 cylinder 17 HP Kubota and at 1,200 lb curb weight had a power to weight of 1,200/17 = 70.5.

TIGON coming in at a diesel only weight of 900lbs with 13.4 HP 2 cylinder would have better specs at 900/13.4 = 67. Add the better aero profile of TIGON and less displacement and you have the makings of a superior fuel sipping vehicle. Even without all the electric hybrid technology added TIGON would still be very freeway capable with the tiny diesel 2 cylinder. If you add into the equation the parallel hybrid components you would have the 13.4 HP diesel with a 56hp /41kw peak electric motor output for a combined 69.4 hp/1,100lbs = 15.8 HP/weight ratio (The vehicle curb weight number is only an approximation based on similar vehicles with different components substituted for weight reduction)

To put this into perspective the TIGON Hybrid output is very similar to the Tri-Magnum at 80hp and a 1,200 lb curb weight. The Tri-Magnum was reported as producing power equal to what you may see on a vehicle with a curb weight of 3,500 lbs and 233 HP engines. The difference however with TIGON is that utilizing the electric motor your acceleration would be far superior with all the available torque at your disposal from 0 rpm not to mention all the other benefits associated with hybrid design.

I have provided some pics of the Yanmar diesel engine I intend to use with TIGON. I am still waiting on the performance curve for this engine once I obtain it I will be able to provide some rough fuel consumption figures. If I were to speculate based on similar sized engines such as the Kubota Z602-E4B .59L 2 cylinder. The output for the Kubota = 7 HP X .45% (1,620rpm) X 250 g/kwh = .794L = 0.21 gal/hr of fuel consumption est. As you can see engines of this size and displacement are very frugal fuel consumers!

VW used this very same strategy for there 1L cars. The XL1 utilizes a .8L turbo diesel with an output of 47 HP and an electric motor with 27 HP for a combined 74 HP. Now at 1,750 lb curb weight this ratio works out to 1750/74 = 23.6 HP/LBS which gives the XL1 a fuel economy of 261 imperial mpg/217 US mpg data source = This 261-MPG Volkswagen XL1 is a Supercar | Autopia | Wired.com

What I have done with the TIGON design is decrease weight, decrease diesel installed power, increased electric installed power, and improved aerodynamics. With these changes hopefully I can achieve a diesel hybrid supercar that will rival the Europe only XL1 performance characteristics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE Diesel Engine #1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	12901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE Diesel Engine #2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	12902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE Diesel Engine #3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	12903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE Diesel Engine #4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	12904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE Diesel Engine #5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	12905  

Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here are a few useful calculators I have used in order to help me determine the appropriate diesel engine size for my vehicle and to convert Imperial MPG to US MPG.

#1. Calculate HP For Speed

#2. Fuel Consumption Conversion Calculator

The figures for calculating HP for speed will obviously not be completely accurate but it will give you a general idea or a starting point that is for figuring out your design goals.

For the TIGON my inputs were =

Coefficient of Drag (Original Goal) = .13
Frontal Area of Car = 14.5 Sq/Ft
Weight of Car = 1,100 Lbs
Velocity of Car 70 MPH

Results Example = Using your vehicle Speed of 70 MPH takes 4.41 HP to overcome air drag.
Rolling resistance is 2.67
For a total of 7.08 HP to run 70 MPH

Based on these results the 13.4 HP Yanmar 2 cylinder should have more than enough power to get us moving at freeway speeds believe it or not However it may take a good while and hills may be a challenge but this will be determined on the initial prototype.

The original GT6 had a frontal area of 14.9. by reducing the height of the car and cleaning up the front profile I should be able to reach the 14.5 figure.

The .13 Coefficient of Drag will be extremely difficult as the original GT6 was much closer to the .32 area. So I will be designing a completely new body shell to try and accomplish this .13 goal. I have been using the Fiat Turbina, Opel eco-speedster, and Panhard LM64 suggested by Neil Blanchard in a previous post for inspiration along with my own ideas in sketching up the initial rough drafts!

The weight goal can definitely be achieved now with the availability of Lithium and Super caps for energy storage as well as lighter composite materials and hybrid components. There is also many weight saving performance upgrades available for GT6 OEM parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD Panhard LM64 Diagram.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	12906   Click image for larger version

Name:	British 3 wheeler #1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	12907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvair Monza GT #1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	12908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opel-Eco_Speedster_Concept_.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	12909   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002_Opel-Eco_Speedster_Concept_2002-01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	12910  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 04-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Add attachments
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
I think that Opel Eco Speedster Concept would be a great body. Maybe raise the rear glass and 'trunk' a few inches, similar to the Volt's?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Go here, the government tosses tons of very suitable 5-25 HP diesels everyday.

Search Results - Government Liquidation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (04-18-2013), NachtRitter (04-19-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Cruze - '18 chevrolet cruze ls
90 day: 37.98 mpg (US)

The Ram - '22 ram 2500 tradesman
90 day: 12.35 mpg (US)
I always thought Yanmar was Japanese?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick323 View Post
I always thought Yanmar was Japanese?
Hey Rick you are correct I just did a little research on that and come to find out the company was founded in Osaka Japan and has a 100 year history.

So thanks for clearing that up
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I think that Opel Eco Speedster Concept would be a great body. Maybe raise the rear glass and 'trunk' a few inches, similar to the Volt's?
Ya the Opel has a pretty sweet body design surprisingly it only has a Coefficient of Drag of .20

I think the height of the car is like around 37 inches which to me seems pretty low.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Go here, the government tosses tons of very suitable 5-25 HP diesels everyday.

Search Results - Government Liquidation
Thanks for the site link rmay I will check it out for sure
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

After doing some research I finally found the Yanmar 2TNV70 performance curves. They are pretty comparable to the Kubota engines specs which is what I suspected. Like the Kubota engines these can also be ran up to 3,800 rpm although torque falls off substantially. The Yanmar engine has a pretty flat BSFC curve from 1400 rpm all the way to 2600 rpm. At 1600 rpm which would be your overdrive gear(s) You would be running the engine at roughly 45% load. At this output level you are only using .19 gal/hr of diesel fuel. So in other words this engine is very frugal at using diesel fuel.

Many diesel generators from what I have been told and have observed can utilize roughly a gallon of fuel for every 4 hours of continuous use at 2400rpm or close to 65% load. So this falls in line favorably to what the curves and math are telling me with the Yanmar. If I setup the gear ratios properly and in my overdrive gear I have it pegged at around 1,600 rpm, in ideal conditions I should be able to cruise almost 6 hours on 1 gallon of gas. Which would give me a theoretical range of 345 mi on a single gallon of diesel fuel at a speed of 60mph.

Now of course coefficient of drag and weight will play a big factor into this theoretical single gallon range which is why it is vital to keep weight to an absolute minimum and aerodynamics as slippery as functionally possible.

I really want to push the envelope on this prototype I have seen what is possible with these tiny diesels in conversions and even in small city cars such as Aixam. Now I want to see what is possible in a highly efficient aerodynamic purpose built vehicle. This is why I have started the TIGON to see just what is possible from a range and performance perspective.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yanmar 2TNV70 Performance Curves.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	12920  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 04-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply  Post New Thread