EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   -- Time For New Tires --- You Choose! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/time-new-tires-you-choose-7113.html)

basslover911 02-13-2009 08:18 PM

-- Time For New Tires --- You Choose!
 
Out of these (205/50/17), under $100.

Which one would be best for FE?
Compare Tire Search Results

YOU CHOOSE! I AM BUYING THEM TOMORROW OR SUNDAY, SO DECIDE!



I was thinking the Goodyear RS-A; they come oem on Honda civics, and some say they last about 70k miles so they must be pretty hard even though the rating is only 280 ... ?

TestDrive 02-13-2009 08:26 PM

Scratch all of the Snow Tires. Maybe the All Season too. Summer tires will have the best tread wear and presumably better RR.

basslover911 02-13-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestDrive (Post 87728)
Scratch all of the Snow Tires. Maybe the All Season too. Summer tires will have the best tread wear and presumably better RR.

Sooo... Kumho Ecsta ASX?

Reviews say they have lasted over 50k for some people, and they are harder at 420 AA A

hypermiler01 02-13-2009 11:52 PM

Lasting longer and being harder has nothing to do with rolling resistance. Many LRR tires are soft and some have low wear ratings. Silica blends seem popular for LRR.

basslover911 02-14-2009 12:51 PM

Hey quick question...

I gave yall all 215/50/17's.. do you think it will be fine to run 205/45/17's?

They are 2lbs lighter, and $20 cheaper... ? I know the speedo will be off 4% but should I do it or just stick with the 50 sidewall?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP IM BUYING TODAY...!

taco 02-14-2009 01:10 PM

alot of choicess under a 205 /50 r 17
i would stick to those

CapriRacer 02-15-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basslover911 (Post 87778)
Hey quick question...

I gave yall all 215/50/17's.. do you think it will be fine to run 205/45/17's?

They are 2lbs lighter, and $20 cheaper... ? I know the speedo will be off 4% but should I do it or just stick with the 50 sidewall?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP IM BUYING TODAY...!


Hopefully, you did not buy the 45 series tires. They are lower in load carrying capacity and that increases the risk of a load related tire failure, which sometimes has tragic consequences.

basslover911 02-15-2009 12:06 PM

Well I ended up getting the Kumho Ecsta ASX in 205/50/17.

They seem to last to over 50k regularly, weigh 22 lbs, have a 420 AA A rating, and can be inflated to 51psi :D

So they are a bit skinnier than my current tires (the ones that came with the car), those were 215's... and those could only be inflated to 42psi; so we will see what the gains are hopefully 1-2mpg's can be possible.

CapriRacer 02-15-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basslover911 (Post 87920)
Well I ended up getting the Kumho Ecsta ASX in 205/50/17.

They seem to last to over 50k regularly, weigh 22 lbs, have a 420 AA A rating, and can be inflated to 51psi :D

So they are a bit skinnier than my current tires (the ones that came with the car), those were 215's... and those could only be inflated to 42psi; so we will see what the gains are hopefully 1-2mpg's can be possible.

Well, what I said about the 205/45R17's applies to the 205/50R17's, just less so. They are smaller in load carrying capacity than your original tires - even considering the additonal inflation pressure you will be using.

Watch these tires very carefully for signs of bulges. You live in one of those areas that have been identified as problem areas for tire durability!

basslover911 02-15-2009 04:32 PM

Yes no I will definitely keep an eye out, even though I have removed about 80lbs of weight from my car so that should help a tad bit.

What I thought about was that my car (4cyl) and the 6cyl model have the same tires, and of course they have to put tires that fit the 6cyl weight- in other words, its probably a bit much for the less weight 4cyl model... get me?

Also, I looked at the 215 tires that I have right now and actually they have the same exact max load rating on them as these 205's (probably because the 205's have a higher UTQG rating thus a harder sidewall most likely).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com