Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laval, Qc
Posts: 11

Fitster - '07 Honda Fit Sport
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire info for 2007 Honda Fit Sport

Just bought a used 2007 Honda Fit Sport with the factory 15" mags. The tires that are on it are FINISHED! So what better way than to start off fresh with some nice high efficiency low rolling resistance tires. I know close to nothing about tire brands aimed at fuel efficiency. What should I be getting for my particular model car?

Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 10,990

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,326
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,446 Posts
What size tires does the car have on it now? Tirerack says it could have a 15" or 16" wheel.
__________________
Current project: Adding regenerative braking to the Mirage
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tire Geek
 
CapriRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Let's just say I'm in the US
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 290 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRusty View Post
Just bought a used 2007 Honda Fit Sport with the factory 15" mags. The tires that are on it are FINISHED! So what better way than to start off fresh with some nice high efficiency low rolling resistance tires. I know close to nothing about tire brands aimed at fuel efficiency. What should I be getting for my particular model car?

Thanks!

First, understand that there is a technology triangle involving Rolling resistance, Traction (especially wet traction), and treadwear. Any improvements in one area means sacrifices in the others.

Second, you have to be aware that the term "LRR" is a relative term. It means "this tire has better RR than other tires with the same treadwear and traction properties.

Having said that, you have a decision to make. Do you want good RR or do you want good traction, or do you want good treadwear - or do you want a good balance of the 3?
__________________
CapriRacer

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
CaptainRusty (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laval, Qc
Posts: 11

Fitster - '07 Honda Fit Sport
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, understand that there is a technology triangle involving Rolling resistance, Traction (especially wet traction), and treadwear. Any improvements in one area means sacrifices in the others.

Second, you have to be aware that the term "LRR" is a relative term. It means "this tire has better RR than other tires with the same treadwear and traction properties.

Having said that, you have a decision to make. Do you want good RR or do you want good traction, or do you want good treadwear - or do you want a good balance of the 3?
A good all-around balance of the 3 would make sense to me. I'm still looking for tires, need to have that issue resolved within the next few days as I'm still on my set of winter tires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
40-60-40 MPH P&G
 
echo-francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: laval, QC
Posts: 276

Echo-P&G - '05 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
90 day: 82.76 mpg (US)
Thanks: 45
Thanked 110 Times in 57 Posts
look at the Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Michelin Defender or Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
all avaliable at canadien tire or Bridgestone - Ecopia EP422 not at canadien tire
__________________
Best Tank (1557.2 Km): 2.57 LHK (91.63 MPG (US) )
Best Highway Trip (~36.8 Km): 2.16 LHK (109 MPG (US) )
Best Commute Trip avg (73.8 Km ): 2.33 LHK (101 MPG (US) )
Echo-Troll Modding Thread

I know i dont have a very good write-up
no lean-burn? no good gear ratio? p&g is the answer
MPG=1 TIME=0
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Laval, Qc
Posts: 11

Fitster - '07 Honda Fit Sport
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo-francis View Post
look at the Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Michelin Defender or Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
all avaliable at canadien tire or Bridgestone - Ecopia EP422 not at canadien tire
With my STOCK tire size of 195/55R15 I am very limited with LRR tires in my neck of the woods, so... The next best size of 185/60R15 has a better selection...

I can get the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 and the Michelin Defender at my Costco (Laval) for $588,63 and $600,12 (with a rebate) respectively. Out of the 2, which would you recommend? Assuming that fuel efficiency is my number one priority, quality and handling a close second. I run seperate winter tires so winter driving is a non-issue.

Thanks,

Rusty
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 5,219

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.37 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,859
Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,058 Posts
The narrower 185s will give a modest aero benefit over the 195s. I have Defenders and so far like them a lot. EDIT: looks like you could get the ecopias in 175/65r15 and have almost the exact same overall diameter (maybe slightly taller), while losing a little tire weight and getting a better aero tire. That's what I would do. I have 175/70r13 tirss on my civic right now.
__________________


See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.


Last edited by California98Civic; 05-05-2014 at 11:33 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,643
Thanks: 1,503
Thanked 276 Times in 226 Posts
Hows the Fit? Considering its a sport model with a low final drive you can likely afford to go to a 60 or 65 series tire and actually gain mpg. I have an insight and went from 175 65 r 15 to 185 65 r 15. They are half an inch taller, makes the speed o match my gps in terms of speed. My car was off by 2 mph. I got the general t43 tires with the rebate from tirerack.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com