Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Tire Test Results from Tirerack.com

I thought it may be helpful to post these tire tests in one place so consumers can easily find them and see how different tires perform so they can make a purchase with a bit more confidence.

I'll start with a few newer tests and add more as they become available. Please feel free to suggest other tests that I miss and I'll add them to this first post. Thanks!

Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?
Eco-Focused All-Season Tires: Do They Deliver on the Promise?

General Altimax HP, Michelin Hydroedge, Goodyear Assurance Tripple Tread, Hankook Optimo H727
Testing the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season

Eco-Friendly all-season tires - How do the measure up
Eco-Friendly All-Season Tires — How Does Performance Measure Up?

When Round and Black Becomes Mean and Green
When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Comparing Top Rated Passenger Car all-season Tires
Comparing Our Top-Rated Passenger All-Season Tires

GrandTouring all-season Tires
Testing New Grand Touring All-Season Tires

Even Grander Grand Touring Tires (2007)
Even Grander Grand Touring Tires

WINTER TIRE TESTS
Newest Crop of Studless Ice and Snow Tires
Testing the Newest Crop of Studless Ice and Snow Winter Tires

WinterTesting at the Arctic Circle - Ice and Snow Tires
Winter Testing at the Arctic Circle: Studless Ice & Snow

Michelin X-ice Xi2 Introductory Drive
Michelin X-Ice Xi2 Introductory Drive

Are Front-Wheel Drive and All-Season Tires Enough for Winter Driving?
Are Front-Wheel Drive and All-Season Tires Enough for Winter Driving?

2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
GrandTouring all-season Tires
Testing New Grand Touring All-Season Tires
I actually have the Michelin MXM4 tires installed now. It doesn't seem like the ones they reviewed are the "GreenX" LRR version that I have. So far, I like them, but I haven't been able to test them extensively just yet. I have ~ 1,000 miles on them at this point, but that is mostly city driving on relatively warm, dry pavement.

I've seen about a 10% improvement in fuel economy, but that is in comparison to a high-performance summer tire. Of course, that mileage might improve once the tires finish breaking in. The dry traction is, obviously, a downgrade, but they seem to handle well enough. Still, I know that I can induce a power slide on demand... maybe not a good thing.

I'll have to do a follow up when I have more information. Winter is around the corner, so I'm sure to see some wet (and possibly snowy) conditions soon. I also have a few long highway trips to make, plus my freeway driving should be increasing in frequency.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
I actually have the Michelin MXM4 tires installed now. It doesn't seem like the ones they reviewed are the "GreenX" LRR version that I have. So far, I like them, but I haven't been able to test them extensively just yet. I have ~ 1,000 miles on them at this point, but that is mostly city driving on relatively warm, dry pavement.

I've seen about a 10% improvement in fuel economy, but that is in comparison to a high-performance summer tire. Of course, that mileage might improve once the tires finish breaking in. The dry traction is, obviously, a downgrade, but they seem to handle well enough. Still, I know that I can induce a power slide on demand... maybe not a good thing.

I'll have to do a follow up when I have more information. Winter is around the corner, so I'm sure to see some wet (and possibly snowy) conditions soon. I also have a few long highway trips to make, plus my freeway driving should be increasing in frequency.
The size they tested is greenx rated. What size are you running? I have them in a 215/45/17 so the mpg is not great but they are very quiet, ride great and handle very well for a touring tire. I have to push them pretty hard before I hear any complaints and I have a few suspension upgrades so this car is no tuna boat. lol

Keep us posted on your experience with them. I don't know anyone else that has them to compare notes with.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

I have them in 235/40R18. Yeah, don't get me wrong, they handle competently enough... it was just a major downgrade in dry traction. But that is to be expected going from a high performance summer tire to an all season.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

It doesn't help that you have a performance car that actually requires the extra traction. In my car there is no such thing as powering out of a sharp corner. lol
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

Yeah, that's why I'm not overly critical of the traction. You'd have to be intentionally reckless for something to happen, and that's why I'm still giving these tires a big so far.

Reply  Post New Thread