Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
Tires?

I keep seeing reports of using "low rolling resistance tires"

I have to get a new set of tires fairly soon... Or atleast thats what my mother, my stepdad, and my girlfriend's mechanic dad all said to me seperately...
I don't feel like my tires are bad, but to be honest, I've never really had good tires on any vehicle...

Mostly to appease people, I was considering new tires. I was wondering how these would do.

Kumho ecowing All Season KH30

kumho kh30 ecowing low resistance tires for 61 a piece, plus 35$ shipping.

They have a "6 year 60,000 mile warranty". I don't really know much about them.

Should I go for something like that, or cheap 50$ tires at the local discount tire shop?

I'm trying to save gas/money on a 2008 chevy aveo with 14 inch wheels. I have grillblock done, so aero has dropped a bit, which means rolling resistance counts more.

I might put a couple more months on these current tires, I haven't decided yet. Depends on how they handle snow.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Angelus359 -

I like that tread pattern (which I readily admit is a lot like reading tea leaves) :

It looks a lot like my Contintental ProContact with EcoPlus Technology :

My tire is smaller than the stock photo, 195/65R15, so it is narrower and missing the "middle tread", just like the Kumhos. I just got these a few weeks ago. The above pictures are not at the same scale. The size of the gaps in my tread are closer to the size of gaps in your tread.

I haven't published it here because I have been underwater with life+work stuff.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
$600 for nothing

I once spent $600 for a set of Michelin Green-X radials which promised better fuel economy,only to learn that they performed no better in that regard to the $120 Discount Tire house brand tire built for them by Kelly Tire,which is owned by Goodyear Tire Co..
It would be nice to have onerous government regulation requiring tire manufacturers to include power absorption coefficients on their products sidewall,so a potential purchaser could make a rational decision when buying,much like food products and thermal insulation are labeled today.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Since you are new at this, you need to be aware that:

There is a technology triangle between, rolling resistance, treadwear, and traction. A tire with great rolling resistnce will not have good traction and/or treadwear. However, you can find tires that have good compromises. Just be aware that as you move towards better RR, you are losing something.

I go into more detail here:

Barry's Tire Tech

You may have trouble finding a large selection of LRR tires in 14" as 14" are not very popular.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
I did the penny test... I think family was just being too conservative. I'll get new tires when I get pissed off with chicago snow.

My last car had worse tires last winter....
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I once spent $600 for a set of Michelin Green-X radials which promised better fuel economy,only to learn that they performed no better in that regard to the $120 Discount Tire house brand tire built for them by Kelly Tire,which is owned by Goodyear Tire Co..
I just bought a pricey set of Michelin Hydroedge with Green-X tires only to find that my fuel economy dropped almost TEN PERCENT vs the cheapo Bridgestone all seasons that were on the car. What a disappointment.

Reply  Post New Thread